• Tweets

• Hmmm, interesting point. In my career, that I am retired from now, there were an immense amount of rules and regulations that one had to adhere to by law. The qualification process is rigorous with on going assessments throughout your career and re-certification every 12 months. If you were shown to be not competent in those rules and regulations you could not hold the position and the operational consequences of that could potentially be dire. In the same respect, perhaps a judge who is not conversant in the rules of POFA should not sit in on cases that requires proficiency in that area? I also bow to your considerable knowledge in this area, perhaps I shouldn't be commenting but by doing so I find it helps the learning process. Your last point has just reminded me of something that may help my case, thank you.
    • Just had an email re the my breache in agreement by her rep.   I asked you yesterday if they had asked about her name in the thread being removed.   The issue they have is the Elizabeth turner and genetic pups entry on google.   they knew I did not put it up and told them so in court.  I dnt know how to post on google.   I told them I cannot remove what I did not post.  when i come back here and saw her name gone from threads title, I presumed her reps sought it.   now I get an email saying her names still on google ur breaching the agreement as it’s still on google.  
    • Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

kaz v lloyds visa ***WON***

karens25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all

send off the prelim letter to lloyds card services on tues of this week, for charges totalling £332.. had a very prompt response from them today,basically saying sod off but i thought this bit was particularly interesting and i quote:-

we believe our charging policy is fair. the ofts statement is their view of the principles they think credit card issuers should follow. ultimately it is only a court that can decide whether a term is unfair in legal terms.

so, lets let the court decide!!!

good luck everyone

karen

cap one - prelim letter sent 23/8 £460 owed

partial refund, now sod off letter received 6/9

lba 5/10, claim served 30th jan,

CAP ONE SETTLED IN FULL 15thTH FEB!!!

lloyds card services - prelim sent 23/8 £332 owed

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

claim issued via mcol 13/10

awaiting papers from SC&M

court date set for 26th March

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

5/10 lba sent for pre action disclosure

settled in full 2.1.07

cahoot - Data Protection Act sent 7/8 on hold for a while

Tesco - prelim sent 6/10 £200 owed

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone..

sent lba to lloyds.. 14 days are up on tuesday 10th.. can anyone advise me on the address to use for lloyds on the claim form as ive used a box number so far and these arent acceptable when issuing a claim.. are they?

thanks karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

settled in full 2.1.07

Hi Kaz

Use thier registered office address:

Lloyds TSB

25 Gresham Street

London

EC2V 7HN

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

thanks for that sk.. good luck with your claims

kaz

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

hi all

fourteen days since lba tomorrow, have been having a look at mcol wonder if anyone would care to post what they put in "particulars of claim" box in 1080 words? also not sure i understand about the interest im only claiming the 8% how would i word this

thanks karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

anyone?

i need to submit my claim today via mcol, but im confused by the 8% per year interest you can claim.. am i missing somrthing really obvious here? im ok with the daily interest thats added on at this stage

please help

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

Karen, its all under the bank templates secion, there is a MCOL particulars of claim posted by Jonni2bad, use that and add in your own amounts details etc... ensure that when you send it off to MCOL you print out a schedule of charges including your 8% and post it to MCOL in Northampton x 2 copies (address on website) ask them to put one on your file, they will then send it to the defendant.,

hi shaz

so is the 8% added by the spreadsheet the same as the 8% per year they ask for? im confused because i thought this was the daily rate since the date of the charge?

im sorry for sounding so dumb!!!

thanks for your help

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

hi shaz

so is the 8% added by the spreadsheet the same as the 8% per year they ask for? im confused because i thought this was the daily rate since the date of the charge?

im sorry for sounding so dumb!!!

thanks for your help

karen

Are you talking about reclaiming interest that they charged you on your bank charges, ie if you went overdrawn because of your charges, if so the answer is no, the 8% is the interest you can charge them at court stage.... the daily rate since the date of the charge is simply 8%....but if you went overdrawn due to their charges you could have also added this on to your claim, a bit of a pain to work out but it can add up, many leave it out as it confuses them but it depends how much they charged you it can be worth it!!!

PM me if you need help!!

Sharon

I have a contract with Lloyds TSB Bank PLC, conducted on their standard terms and conditions. I am claiming return of money taken by the defendant in the way of charges over the last 4 years, totaling £332. The charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. I have repeatedly asked the bank to justify their charges but they have declined to do so. I claim interest under section 69 of the county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from (06/12/2001) to (7/08/2006) of £XX and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 8%. I therefore claim a total of £xxx (£xxx+ £xxx interest).

hi shaz..

thanks for the offer of help i may just take you up on it!! this is what id borrowed from another thread (thanks reload) but the bit in red is the bit that confused me, i thought as well as the 8% daily rate id got to do yet another calculation, that no one had mentioned(!) to work it out over 5 yrs at 8% per year, i now understand that the spreadsheet is designed to calculate this also.. sorry for being a pain!! i understand about the contractual rate but decided not to bother with it.(you can probably guess why!!)

thanks again

kaz

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

hi

finally managed to get my head round this interest thing and yesterday issued my claim via mcol.. for £332 plus interest.

btw should i be sending a schedule of charges to the court? i think ive heard someone mention that on here

thanks

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

If you issued through MCOL I woudl strongly suggest that you post two copies of your spreadsheet to Northampton (MCOL - Address on their website) and with a covering letter asking them to attach it to your claim. You don't want to give the banks any chance to state that your claim wasn't clear enough on what exactly you were reclaiming eg: dates type of charge etc...some recommend that you wait until your case has been transferred to a local court (this happens when Barlcays say they intend to defend) but i always think it is better to keep everyone informed at every stage! :) Hope that helps!

hi all

i have filed a claim using mcol

do i need to pm a mod with my claim number?

thanks karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

hi

yesterday i received an acknowledgement of service..

lloyds intend to defend... just a scare tactic?

do i just sit and wait to hear from the infamous sechiari clark and mitchell..

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

the schedule of charges ive sent to mcol does not include the 8% interest, i just sent the ones i had sent to lloyds previously.. does that matter at this stage?

help please...

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

lloyds intend to defend... just a scare tactic?

Yes

the schedule of charges ive sent to mcol does not include the 8% interest, i just sent the ones i had sent to lloyds previously.. does that matter at this stage?

help please...

On your POC did you ask for the 8%?

You need to send the schedule of charges with the 8% on. Send a new updated schedule to the court and their solicitor.

hi livelylad

yes i did claim the 8% on my poc, so will send off the updated schedule as you suggested...

thanks for your help

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone

i need help desperately, lloyds have filed a defence, which i received yesterday with an a/q(on the 28th day! im sure they are in to mind games!!) and requested i be ordered to file an ammended claim

anyway..

my poc...

the claiment has an account no. xxxx with the defendant from 10/11/01 conucted on their standard terms and conditions. claiment is claiming the return of £332 taken by the defendant in charges over 5 years. the defendants charges are a disproportiaonate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. they are also invalid under the unfair contracts terms act 1977 s.4 and under the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999 para 8 and sch 2.1.e. in the event that the charges are not a penalty they are unreasonable within the meaning of the supply of goods and services act 1982 sc.15. defendant has declined justification of charges despite repeated requests. claiment claims interest under sec 69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from 10/11.01 to 22.08/06 and also interest at same rate up to the day of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of 8% i therefore claim a total of £424.64.

their defence...

1. the defendant lloyds tsb is a bank whose registere office is 25 gresham st etc etc

2. the defendant will object that the particulars of claim in this action disclose no reasonable cause of action against the defendant an makes no allegations against the defendant as to why the defendant should be liable to the claimant for the amount claimed.

3. the particulars of claim do not comply with the cpr rules (as amongst other things) they do not show how the sum of £424.64 is arrived at and the particulars of claim are too vague. the sratement of claim shows no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim.

4. the claimant should therefore, be ordered to file and serve an amended claim to set out a basis in law and fact for her claim as there is no pleaded basis for the claim itself. the claiment should give full particulars of the charges she is seeking to recover, identifying each charge, (I HAVE!!) the date and amount of the charge and why the claiment in each case she alleges it is a disproportinate penalty and thus unlawful.

5. the defendant should then be given the opportunity to defend the proceedings further.

it then goes on to state , (for the avoidance of doubt) the terms and conditions of having a credit card.

my particulars of claim were copied from another user and they have had a schedule of charges at every stage, and one sent to mcol as suggested on here!

i dont know what to do next.i really thought id done enough! please help

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

Hi Kaz i have found this response from Michael Browne which will help. Their defence is pretty standard stuff you need to read up on how to complete the AQ

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/11644-allocation-questionnaires-guide-completion.html

In your AQ you can refute their contentions re: lack of particulars

SECTION G OTHER INFORMATION

The defendant in its defence contends that this claim is not suitably particularised and the statement of claim shows no reasonable grounds for the claim to be brought. The Claimant disagrees with this contention entirely. The claims particulars clearly state the statutory and common law provisions on which this claim relies, and the claimant will of course elaborate upon the claim particulars at such time as is required upon the direction of the court. Further, contrary to the contention of the defendant, the relevant numbers of the account in question were clearly identified in the claimant’s particulars of claim, and a full schedule of the charges which form the sum claimed from the defendant was sent to Northampton bulk court on the day of issue for inclusion alongside the claims particulars. Additionally, the defendant was served with this information on two occasions previously within a 28 day period allowed by the claimant to attempt to resolve the issue prior to the commencement of this litigation. For the sake of expediency, I have attached another copy of the schedule to this allocation questionnaire.

As is known to the defendant, I am a litigant in person in this case. It is respectfully submitted that the contentions of the defendant are highly likely to be an attempt to distress and intimidate, rather than presenting any valid or reasonable objections to the clarity of the Particulars of claim.

And also you can request Standard Disclosure:

I am respectfully requesting that my claim be allocated to the small claims track. This issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact and not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the Defendant in respect of its customer’s contractual breaches exceed their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their actual costs and I am surprised the Defendant did not counterclaim for these, because I would have paid them without argument.

However, the continuing problem is, (in common with the 100s of other cases currently being brought by other bank customers), that the banks refuse to reveal the details of their penalty-charging regime. As the banks have a fiduciary duty towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly and in utmost good faith.

Accordingly, I would respectfully ask that the court in this case, not withstanding allocation to the small claims track, order standard disclosure. I understand that it is in the courts discretion to do so. This would bring a rapid end, not only to this litigation, but would also likely bring an end to much of the litigation in progress against other high-street banks.

You can submit the info on a sheet of paper to the court if it will not fit on the AQ.

hi livelylad

thank you for that, having spent all last night worrying that id really messed up.. and felt like giving up (reacting as they intended i suppose!!)feel much better this morning having read around the site and realised these are more bully boy tactics.

the help on here is fantastic, thank you for your input, will do as you suggest

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

hi all

had an interesting letter from lloyds this morning, i emailed them saying i was cancelling the direct debit which they set up on my current account without my permission (this must be covered in the t & C's) because the account was in dispute and they were in breach of the banking code, which clearly states that no collections should be made on an account that is in dispute, bearing mind i received their defence last week stating that my poc were too vague!

dear karen

thank you for your recent email. The file has been passed to me for my personal attention and response as team leader, card concerns, as you remain dissaatisfied with service you have so far received.

On behalf of lloyds tsb, i apologise for your continued dissatisfaction.I can only reiterate, however, that the banks position in relation to charges made to your account in the past remains unchanged.

Your comments with regards to your classic visa being subject to collections action whilst you dispute the balance have been duly noted, although i would like to clarify that the balance on your account is not being held in dispute. your account balance is considered valid, and therefore, is due for repayment in the normal way under the terms and conitions of your account.

The seventeen charges you have itemised, which total £332.00 are also considered valid and i would like to take this oppurtunity to reiterate that the OFT made no recommendation regarding charges incurred prior to its announcement. Purely as a goodwill gesture however, i would like to offer you a refund of the difference had these charges been £12.00. seventeen charges of £12.00 total £204.00 making a difference of £128.00.

I do hope my response has addressed your concerns and you will feel able to accept my offer to refund your account with £128.00. If so please sign the enclosed copy of this letter and return it in the pre paid envelope provided. I will then arrange for £128.00 to be credited to your classic visa.

The banks offer is made in full and final settlement of your concerns and is available until 30th November 2006, although please note that in the event of any investigation by the Financial Ombudsman Service, our offer will be withdrawn. However please be assured that we will always abide by the Ombudsmans decision.

This letter to be read in conjunction with our letters of 25th August and 4th October is the banks final response, which means that if you remain issatisfied you may refer your complaint to the financial ombudsmans service. If you decide to persue your complaint through the FOS you must do so within six months from the date of this letter.

yours sincerely

jane frowde

do i need to respond to this letter or just carry on with the aq which has to be in by next friday?

how can they say the balance on the account is not being disputed when that s the very thing i am doing, thought the bit about withdrawing their offer should i report them to the FOS was interesting...

thoughts please

k

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

anyone???

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

Hi Karen,

The usual bullyboy tactics, it seems. Feel free to send them a note stating that you are willing to accept the payment in partial settlement of your claim, but that you will be pursuing the remaining balance through the courts. This is the correct course of action for partial settlement offers.

A lot of the letter just looks like their standard template response generator kicking up the usual garbage that even the person signing does not read. It'll certainly be useful in court should it come to showing the judge the letter :)

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi Kaz i have found this response from Michael Browne which will help.

I wrote that actually, not that it really matters. It should only be used in cases where the correct POC's were used which included the account number - which looking back through your thread seems to be the case. Also, send another copy of your schedule attached to the AQ. Heres the thread concerning the claim too vague defence with full details of the action that should be taken - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/47344-lloyds-defence-claim-vague.html

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.