Deductions from deposit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We moved out of a property just over one month ago and have finally, today received the cheque for our deposit back. However only about half is there.

When my partner did the check out, he agreed with the charges for £75, £50 and £40 which were for extra cleaning (this was debatable but didn't argue), worktop scratches and repainting of a wall. My partner was told he would see invoicing for the painting of the wall or that they would try to do it with other work that needed doing. There had been a problem with the shower which resulted in a leak and the landlord drilling into the wall and leaving a hole for two months so work did need doing anyway!

On our invoice it states these reductions. It also states a £150 charge for some work that was done about a year ago. There was a leak under the sink. Letting agent wrote to us in about the November asking us to take a look at it. We sorted it (basically a part was lose so we tightened it). They were happy with this. It started leaking again a few months later but this time the pipe had split, we didn't notice but when we did put a bucket under the sink until we could call letting agent later that day. That day the landlord came in without our permission, saw it, fixed it then blamed us for the damage to the flat below. That is what the £150 charge is for.

So our main problem is with this £150 charge. 1/ It seems steep for repainting, 2/ we didn't hear anything about it until we said we were moving out, 3/ we haven't seen a receipt. Is there any point in contesting this charge?

Additionally a late payment fee has been added to our invoice of £28.75. This confuses us - we did pay our rent late a few times when my partner was made redundant. We made the letting agent aware of the situation and paid as and when fees occurred. Then when we moved to our new place, old agent told new agent we were £4.75 in arrears. Seemed an odd amount but finally figured out when we paid a late fee once they forgot to add VAT so not really our fault! So now we are slightly confused as to where this £28.75 came from as we were never told about it.

Sorry this is so long but could someone advise what we should do to contest this? Also is it worth it? Thanks!

Which schemes was your deposit protected with? Normally money is not released until agreement is reached by both parties. Write to the LL (copied to agent) saying you dispute these extra charges which were not agreed and that unless you receive this money within 7 days, you will be pursuing their return via the small claims court.

And always remember - the agent works for the landlord. The agent is NOT your friend.....

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Thanks. I'm not sure where the deposit was held unforunately. Is there any way of finding out now that we are no longer tenants? Our agent was definitely never our friend!!! Never trusted them. That said my parents own a property they rent out and their agent has been pretty rubbish for them as well!