Grey Import Hell!! Black Horse Finance.....Can Anyone Help Please?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3175 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

HI,

My husband brought a Mitsubishi Evo 8 in April from a dealer. Black Horse financed it. At the dealership we had trouble insuring it but the dealer insisted it was a 'parallel' import...and eventually got it insured but to the dealers 'spec'...

We went to part ex the Evo about 8 weeks ago at a Ford dealers, when they appraised the car the first thing that was said on first glance was that it was a grey import, in which case Black Horse should not have financed it. Oh...and the minor detail that the insurance may not be valid.

We sent off all the info to Black Horse including copies of research we'd done on the net, all the documents from the DVLA which we applied for and also the dealers actual advert for the car (which they left on the back seat). All pointing to the car being from Japan.

After several phonecalls to Black Horse and 'lost paperwork' weeks later they have just told my husband they are rejecting his request because on contacting the dealer they told them 'the car was advertised as an import'.....erm, dont know where because we've got the advert and I printed of the web advert to keep, none of which state it's imported, infact the model they are quoting was only made in the UK!!!

Can any one offer any advice....we are still making monthly payments for a garden ornament frankly! We can't insure it because we dont know what exactly the car is. If the paperwork from the DVLA says Japanese Import and the VIN number points to it being a Japanese Import why would Black Horse be dragging their heels? Hubby has threatened to stop his payments but not sure if that's the answer.....

Oh and thats not to mention the warranty he is paying for and has never received!!!

Any advice from anyone out there at this point would be most greatfully received.......thanks:confused:

First off, which model evo is the car, all Evos have 11 digit chassis numbers except for the evo8 260 which is the only Homologated Evo.

90% of evos are imported by Coltcar company and apart from the 260 they are all imports,however most finance companies will finance the car and all insurance companies will take your money and insure the car.

I suspect The ford dealer is knocking the car to give you a lower price than you are expecting.

If you send me an Email or pm with the reg no I can confirm what the car is.

Gosh, you have got yourselves in a pickle despite all the warning signs being there at purchase. But, no good crying over spilt milk, as they say, it's what can be done.

Although it's not illegal to sell a grey import, is the car fully compliant with UK specifications and hence UK regulations?

If you can find one single thing that makes it not so, then you don't have a problem ie, is the speedo in Km and not mph?

As Black Horse have a policy of not financing grey imports, have they been misinformed by the seller. Check your finance documents closely to see how the car is actually described, Black Horse could also be a victim in this but are trying to find a way out that suites them financially.

You have the advert so they cannot deny the way it was advertised, send them a copy of the advert along with a copy of their letter to you and ask them "I request that you reconsider your decision before I take legal advice". That should shake them up a bit. Make sure you send all letters by recorded delivery.

There is the chance that the car is stolen or has finance on it in it's country of origin. You can check the car out for £40 at British Independent Motor Trade Association (BIMTA) - http://www.bimta.org/ which could well be worth the fee if it turns up something that is not right.

I have a grey import and have not had much trouble insuring it. Adrian Flux, A-Plan pkus some others are the top insurers for grey imports. Try them for insurance.

Thanks for all your help.

Have written back to Black Horse and sent it recorded delivery with copies of all the documents we previously sent (that they have not read!) inc advertisments and DVLA information and eagerly await their comments.

• 1 year later...

Same problem.

Bought what i thought was a 4WD Sante Fe with 5yr warranty turns out to be a grey import 2WD with 3yr warranty.

Gutted.

Finance company say burden of proof is on me but as car was first registered in UK i think i am snookered.

Same problem.

Bought what i thought was a 4WD Sante Fe with 5yr warranty turns out to be a grey import 2WD with 3yr warranty.

Gutted.

Finance company say burden of proof is on me but as car was first registered in UK i think i am snookered.

You say 'you thought'. Is this how it was advertised ? When/how did you find out it was a different model?

You say 'you thought'. Is this how it was advertised ? When/how did you find out it was a different model?

Put car in for service.

Garage informed me that flywheel needed replaced as best to do now as warranty was expiring, quoting an end date 2yrs earlier than i was told on purchase.

also told me it was 2WD, yup i didnt notice, nothing in docs stating this, and that it was a grey import probably from ireland.