go debt/hollis briggs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

i recently got a letter in the post from go debt saying they were passing on my account to hollis briggs and that it may go to court etc etc

i calle the number on the letter (for go debt) and gave them the details, when i spoke to them they said that the account ha already be passed on (6th august 2010), although the letter said it was due to be passed on on the 16th august 2010.

long story short, i asked the woman i spoke to what my options were and she basically sai even if i wanted to pay any off the amount that its already been passed on and to contact hollis briggs.

i asked for the number for hollis briggs nd she didnt have one, after a quick google search its seeming they are infact all the same company and are known for scare tactics

i offered to pay a monthly amount and the woman said no

so, where do i stand? as im completely skint for the next few week

thanks in advance

Do not speak to any of these muppets on the telephone EVER.

Can you give us more details of the alleged debt?

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

the debt is fron a laptop i had on finance, ive missed a bunch of payments due to changes of income etc

what info do you need?

Dell Finance CIT seemed to have sold a shed load of the alleged debts to GO DEBT. Slight problem is that CIT never sent anyone a notice that the debt was being assigned to these clowns

so do i just go ahead and send the form for the cca and see what they do from there?

You could or you could write to them and inform them that the alleged debt has not been legally assigned in accordance wit S 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925

Wait until you get something in writing from Hollis Briggs then come back to this thread, you can then do a CCA request to them. Do not speak to them ever on the phone, just say everything in writing and hang up.

Dell Finance CIT seemed to have sold a shed load of the alleged debts to GO DEBT. Slight problem is that CIT never sent anyone a notice that the debt was being assigned to these clowns

so as they didnt give notice about selling debts does that go for or against me?

after a quick look over things earlyer tonight it seems the letter i received is from a company called 'bpo collections' and not go debt, but still passing it all to hollis briggs, does this make any difference or shall i still wait for hollis briggs to contact me and go for the cca route?

it does say that the client is CIT group plc

Geldards LLP’s debt recovery arm operates as Hollis Briggs; headed by Bill Gill, it acts for Go Debt, and undertakes consumer and commercial debt recovery for a number of SME clients. (SME=small/medium/enterprise)

I fear that as this agreement was taken out on-line and post 2007, it will be extremely difficult to argue non-compliane, as no doubt you will have ticked a box instead of signing a document.?

It may be better to attack it from another angle.

Do you still have the laptop?

What is the amount of payments you missed?

Are you able to offer them these payments, either in full, or over a period of time either weekly or monthly?

Have they added any charges to the account?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

i have offered to pay monthly amount but there not interested in that and want a full sum paying, they have also called me a few times asking me to pay.

i do still have the laptop, but i dont know the amount of missed payments, and im guessing they have added charges as the laptop was only £375 (i think) and now they want a figure of £399, so in theory some of the money ive paid back sould have bought the balance own a tad

In that case, you need to find out exactly how they have come up with the figure they are asking for, ask them for a statement of account, or check your files and see what interest you were paying, or whether they were entitled to add any charges to the agreement.

It doesn't matter if they accept or refuse payments, just pay them what you can afford too each week/month, or rather what it is you agreed to at the time you took out the HP.

Pay something rather than nothing and they will be hard pushed to win over any Judge as you are attempting to pay, if you can set up a Standing Order then that is most definitely preferrable, as DD's allow them access to your account where they can withdraw what they want.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 2 weeks later...

in regards to this account i have just had another call of gpo saying that its now passed onto hollis and briggs, yet again the company said they cudnt give me a number to contact them (ignoreing the fact the woman was rather arrogant) and that the statement of my account was £366 and they would take a setelment of £275 if i could pay it right now, i did say id offered to pay installments of £100 a week to clear it, but they only wanted the full figure, they also calimed i had a settlement figure offered to me the first time i spoke to them (tho i didnt)

i also asked for a statement of account so i could see missed payments etc etc and basically the woman said i was delaying the account and they didnt have any of that information/no i cant have it, but then said hollis and briggs will have it if i send a letter asking for it

now, as the fee they want is less that £400 im guessing its gunna cost the more to take me to court than its worth to them

so where do i go from here?

i have just got off the phone to theres guys who have now said my account has been passed to hollis and briggs

they said i was offered a settlement figure of £275, even tho i wasnt, and that the account is at £366 at the moment

i mentioned that id offered to pay installemts of £100 but they werent interested, and when i asked for a statement of account they said (rather rudely) that i was just trying to delay the account and that they didnt have the information/i cudnt have it, but that hollis and broggs have it and to send them a letter asking for it

where do i go from here?

Again as was advised in the second post of your thread, DO NOT SPEAK TO THEM ON THE PHONE.

What evidencedo you have of offering them £100 a month? None. And do you think they will provide any evidence to the court saying you did so? No.

So Please unless you are able to record your phonecalls, keep EVERYTHING IN WRITING.

Wait until you receive a letter then go from there, if they ring you again, just tell them "everything in writing" and put the phone down, do this each and everytime the fools ring you, and keep a diary of events with a view to reporting them to the Police station for the offence of harassment and an offence under the Communications act.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i recently received a letter from hollis briggs, after lots of googling with no contact information for them either, id contacted them asking for the CCA and also a statement of account so i could figure out where they got the amount from. obviously i wanted to try get away with the figure of £275 if i had to pay at all.

i have yet to have any reply from them regarding this, but whilst i was on google i found something quite interesting, that means i am entitled to free legal aid, so i have passsed all the letter onto my solicitor, and have him the run down of whats happened and he is now dealing with these clowns or me, all for free :)

an interesting point he made tho, as ive had to change the laptop hard drive, and power supply due to them failing on me, and the computer is less than 6 years old, if they decide i have to pay, we can claim that the product they sold me was not suitable for the purpose they sold it me for, and thus they are in breach of contract and i can claim any money i have paid back.

so just as a bit of advice for people, call your local citizens advice bureau and see if you qulify for legal aid, it save you all the headache.

i will keep you all posted on this matter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have exactly the same thing. Go Debt chasing for outstanding amount due to CIT on a Dell laptop.

The laptop has since died :sad:.

Go Debt stated the debt had been assigned to them. I have asked for a copy of the assignment notice to Go Debt from CIT. No reply - but they sent everything else, copy agt, etc AND a letter stating they would accept XXX to clear the account.

I havnt worked for 3 years due to health - so I can only make token payt.

I am going to check CCA agreement to see if it contains all prescribed terms.

Any other options guys?

Many thanks