• Tweets

• Being objective, it could be that they accept you've cancelled the DD mandate and you can no longer access the gym.   But that does not rule out them arguing that you cancelled early or without the notice they require.   Let's not second guess though - let us know if they come after you for more, or if they let it rest.
    • I'm asking this as a result of a recent experience as i know some of you are really knowledgeable about disciplinarys. I know it's going to sound a bit cryptic but here goes.   So without giving too much away, if a local authority staff member is caught somewhere they should not be, doing something they should not be doing (usually a criminal record)  & when confronted by a member of the public tells that member of public to F' off, makes derogatory remarks about them, then on camera gives them the middle finger (all backed by witness statement), what sort of hope does that person have of retaining their job?   Clearly gross misconduct, but realistically is this survivable?
    • ROFL Says the person who almost exclusively just posts his unsupported 'opinion', ... which actually seem to come straight from Boris the Liars Puerile book of Populist Jingles (2nd edition) - but that is the populist way isn't it whether Russian troll bot or actual populist on a forum - point the finger of their own failings at others.     Back to reality: People just have to google 'Johnson foreigner lies' to get swamped with examples,   - or just 'Johnson lies' to get his divisive hate and division peddling on everything  racist/foreigner bashing/ misogynistic/the list goes on .. peddling to name but a few.   Heres just a couple of examples from literally thousands across the world: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/37-lies-gaffes-scandals-make-18558695   https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6?r=US&IR=T   https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-brexit-middle-east-priti-patel-israel-balfour-robert-fisk-a9030356.html   https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/24/the-empty-promise-of-boris-johnson   Now your turn to catch up supporting your many 'opinion' posts Mr unsupported populist opinionist. .. .. A little help: Try googling 'boris Johnson competent' oops that  wont help you.      
    • I had some good news on this yesterday as the dealer refunded me in full. This wasn't without a fight though and he was digging his heels in. I did mention my rights several times and dismissed his claims regarding a warranty.   I was due to drop it off at his mechanics yesterday but they were closed until Monday. He said he would get the issues fixed before reselling it. I've checked this morning and the car is listed back on Autotrader. It's obvious they don't care.   Thanks all to helped on here.
    • So if this is a claim for all losses including your uninsured losses I am not sure why you would not be assisting. The court claim in your name as you are the party looking to recover losses as a result of the accident. The Insurers or their legal people will do all of the work.
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
micklauk

Advice Needed - DVLA Court Action Imminent

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3658 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice, my car was repossessed by Welcome Financial Services on 01/02/10 at which stage i handed over the keys and the car. Good riddance i thought end of the matter....

However, I have now received documentation from DVLA to say that I am due to appear in court because the Secretary of State for Transport has received information from a new keeper that they acquired the vehicle on 23/02/10.

I am now being charged with failing to notify change of keeper on 23/02/10, my question is, how was i supposed to notify when i didnt know that the vehicle had been sold and would the finance company have not taken back ownership of the car when they repossessed it on 01/02/10.

Not sure what to do next, can anyone advise??

Thanks

You are confusing ownership with being a Registered Keeper. Once you lost control of the vehicle, you needed to advise that you were no longer the RK. Normally you need the FH to acknowledge they have taken the vehicle or a copy of your receipt for same, as they'd be classed as a 'trader' so notr to increment the number of Reghistered Keepers. You;re luxkt there were not loads of parking fines and the rest, as it is the RK not the Driver that will carry the can.

Sorrry Buzby but the law is on the side of the DVLA. This is an extract from the SI that allows the DVLA and their agents to take possession of a car without a court order. This would normally be a tortious act against the "owner" of the goods and contrary to the oldest legislation in this country the C 15 of the 1267 Statute of Marlborough, which makes it unlawful to apply distraint to any goods without a court order.

References to the "owner" of a vehicle at a particular time are to the person by whom it was then kept and the person in whose name the vehicle is registered at a particular time shall be taken, unless the contrary is shown, to be the person by whom the vehicle was kept at that time.

So unless the owner can prove otherwise the RK is the owner.

Hi Bill, read my posing again (I've fixed the typos!) My point is that the OP is duty bound to deal with the DVLA irrespective of what the owner does. It is the OP who had the expectation that the FH has the responsibility, when it doesn't.

The OP should have sent the relevant section(s) of the V5C to DVLA on 01/02/10 to notify DVLA that the OP was no longer the keeper. That is where the problem started. Unless they did this, they have no defence.

There is, however, mitigation - as the situation the OP outlines is neither explicity mentioned nor explained. Therefore the reasaonable expectation would be that as the vehicle lost the use of the vehicle the beneficial owner - who has been the prime mover, would do this paperwork too.

I agree that the OP probably thought that was the case, but as the old saying goes, 'ignorance of the law.....' It is the registered keepers job, not the owner. This is where the DVLA will lap it up. They know exactly what has happened, but couldn't give a toss because there will be a few more quid in it for them.

The Op did nothing wrong as such, the finance people did nothing wrong as such, the new keeper has done nothing wrong as such. nobody got hurt, nobody is a criminal, but teh DVLA will want blood.

As noted in post #4. At least the mitigation is both plausible and reasonable, given the circumstance.

No, but the courts do.

Sure. He can try it. 'I didn't send the V5c off to DVLA because I was unaware of the law'. They will definitely let him off then.

I tried that once. 'I didn't know it was wrong to do 120mph down the high street because I was unaware of the law'. Worked for me, so why not give it a go. :)

That's not the issue and you knew it. The instructions on the form to not state what to do when thewre is adverse posession of the viwhicle. If there was, there would be no mitigation. As there isn't, this leaves the OP with a reasonable claim that he expected the Finance House, who had done everything else, to do it too. Since there is no Dealership, New Buyer, or Scrap Merchant there to sign his slip - I'd be hards pressed to know which box to use, and if there wasn't one, believe (mistakenly) that is was not appropriate.

As for your last point - there's little point being idiotic unless it's funny. It wasn't.

Now now, calm down dear. Don't be too alarmed when someone more knowledgeable expresses an opinion.

This is not a complicated issue. The law is very CLEAR. When you stop being the keeper, tell DVLA. Then you stop being the registered keeper too. If you don't tell them, they won't know. That is the whole basis of how their system works. It is not a rule or policy, it is law.

And the slip to fill in when you car is repossessed is.......?

And who signs as the receiving party?

The yellow portion with the name and address of the people who have now taken possesion with a view to selling on, just like any other trader. The rest should have been given to the nice repo man.

Doesn't say that on it. Additionally, if the person collecting the vehicle refuses to sign the document, shouldn't they be culpable too?

It's in the notes on the back of the yellow V5C/3 that Motor Trade includes a finance company with an interest in the vehicle.

Doesn't mention what to do if the person collecting refuses to sign, but knowing how incompetent DVLA are, if you filled it in and put 'Refused' in the signature box, they will accept that it was signed by a Mr Refused!!!

Yup, I could believe that ;)

Ok I'll bite? WHAT did you tell, and to whom?