CAG Site upgrade - thread 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4966 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick "smilies" lesson if you can't be bothered to go into "advanced" to find them:

: lol : :lol:

: - ) = :-)

: rolleyes : = :rolleyes:

: razz : = :razz:

: - x = :-x

: - ( = :-(

: shock : = :shock:

: - ? = :-?

: - D = :-D

(removing spaces, obviously, I had to add spaces so that the smilies wouldn't self-generate)

HTH the smiley addicts. :razz:

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick "smilies" lesson if you can't be bothered to go into "advanced" to find them:

(removing spaces, obviously, I had to add spaces so that the smilies wouldn't self-generate)

Here is a full list of smilies (3rd time of posting it :p)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=vB_Editor_001

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

thanks BW , it was just i typed a big post was looking for smiles , went advance and it cleared everything i wrote :-x

i know before you laugh 4 below says it all

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

I'm sure there are reasons.

p.s.

: confused : = :confused:

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Does for me - try loading the bookmark again? It just passes getnew which - obviously - returns the posts since your session last timed out or you marked the boards read.

Search took 0.05 seconds; generated 92 minute(s) ago.
:-(

try CTRL + F5

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks locutus and everyone else who has replied to my query!

However, I still cannot find an easy way to bring up a list of all threads started by me - which was so straightforward before and now seems virtually impossible..............

Just like the previously referenced changes to ebay (which, whilst obviously being an improvement on the very first format, are a backward step I believe to how things were 2 or 3 years ago), I cannot see how this is an improvement personally.

I'm sure (like ebay) I'll get used to it in time, but for now maybe I'll take a sabbatical and wait for the dust to settle before returning.

Landy x

Click "advanced search" then click "search by type" then you have a box that you can put the username in, and a box next to it that you can drag down to say "Find threads started by user"

Still, this is currently not working, so not much help until it's fixed :p although it does work on threads created AFTER the update!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Every single post I make it's coming up with 'you must wait 30 seconds before each post'. I'm only making the one post at a time so it's already annoying the pants off me, especially as if I do as required it puts a flipping double post up:mad:

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

WEBBY!!! URGENT!

I have just found someone who posted her query in the blog part and (naturally) got ignored until I got nosey as to who would already have started blogging, lol. I have advised her to post on forum, but this may well happen again and I don't think we can monitor that as well as new threads!!! :-(

Any chance of turning the blogs off, or is there a good reason for keeping them on?

WEBBY!!! URGENT!

I have just found someone who posted her query in the blog part and (naturally) got ignored until I got nosey as to who would already have started blogging, lol. I have advised her to post on forum, but this may well happen again and I don't think we can monitor that as well as new threads!!! :-(

Any chance of turning the blogs off, or is there a good reason for keeping them on?

I am bringing this to webby's attention Bookie

Why change something that worked perfectly well in the first place? (Questioning face.... lol)

CAG uses a piece of forum software called vBulletin. The old site was using vBulletin 3.7.0 which was quite out of date, as the most recent version in the 3 series was 3.8.6

CAG now uses vBulletin v4.0.0 which is a completely newer version of the software with more features etc, however, as people are noticing, things are now radically different. That's because you are comparing between 2 different branches of the software.

v4.0.0 is far more up to date, has more features, and most importantly is far more 'secure', especially considering the version number that CAG used to use.

I am not convinced that I like it yet, as it is new, but the benefits for CAG far outweigh the loop holes and previous features of vBulletin.

On an aside, I am completely shocked that CAG have removed a piece of software called vBSEO as it could potentially destroy all links that are out and about in the land of SEO

A good example of broken links is here.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=consumeractiongroup&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

For example the following links are now broken.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/

So basically historic links that have been indexed by search engines, to relevant sections of the forums etc are now kaput, causing people who may click on them to come across a blank page apart from an error message. That has to be the most ludicrous decision that CAG have made on this newer version of the software.

• Haha 2

CAG uses a piece of forum software called vBulletin. The old site was using vBulletin 3.7.0 which was quite out of date, as the most recent version in the 3 series was 3.8.6

CAG now uses vBulletin v4.0.0 which is a completely newer version of the software with more features etc, however, as people are noticing, things are now radically different. That's because you are comparing between 2 different branches of the software.

v4.0.0 is far more up to date, has more features, and most importantly is far more 'secure', especially considering the version number that CAG used to use.

I am not convinced that I like it yet, as it is new, but the benefits for CAG far outweigh the loop holes and previous features of vBulletin.

On an aside, I am completely shocked that CAG have removed a piece of software called vBSEO as it could potentially destroy all links that are out and about in the land of SEO

A good example of broken links is here.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=consumeractiongroup&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

For example the following links are now broken.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/

So basically historic links that have been indexed by search engines, to relevant sections of the forums etc are now kaput, causing people who may click on them to come across a blank page apart from an error message. That has to be the most ludicrous decision that CAG have made on this newer version of the software.

Very nice post! That would also explain why :-

Click "advanced search" then click "search by type" then you have a box that you can put the username in, and a box next to it that you can drag down to say "Find threads started by user"

Still, this is currently not working, so not much help until it's fixed :p although it does work on threads created AFTER the update!

Maybe webby should look into this aswell!

• Haha 1

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Very nice post! That would also explain why :-

Maybe webby should look into this aswell!

The site does not function well (in fact it is appaulling on FF2) on older browsers, it also does not function well on a mobile browser either.

Unfortunately going back to the older version I would say is now pretty much impossible as the changes made to the database are unchangeable and permanent now.

Saying that, to launch a site with so many inconsistencies and much less usability for those people who maybe not up to date with their browsers, or bang up to date with mobile browsers, seems to be the most illogical decision a webmaster / website could make. It looks like it was rushed out without any form of beta testing / compatibility completed.

So as long as the webmaster and team act on the feedback, then users should accept the new format easily, but for now, there is just too much wrong with the forums as they are.

I am still so annoyed at the decision to break the links, that's like starting a website all over again and totally destroying 5 years or so of organic linking via search engines. There isn't even a modified 404 page so that people can click a button to take you to the main site etc - That is just going to destroy 5 years of hard working. (purely from a website minded person, I know it isn't my site)

Agreed as it is right pain trawling through all the seperate forums. Unfortunately those with urgent issues are going to be losing out over the next few days.

Am with you 100% - even more so as I have a new thread :rolleyes:

Also haven't yet been able to find posts made by other users when I click on their names :(

Hmm posting on my mobile isn't much different

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Infact it's a little easier as before it used to tell me "you need to leave 30 seconds between posts" every time I posted on the v.bulletin 3.7.0 using my mobile.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Infact it's a little easier as before it used to tell me "you need to leave 30 seconds between posts" every time I posted on the v.bulletin 3.7.0 using my mobile.

In the other thread people were mentioning about the usability, I haven't actually tried it on a mobile yet. So I conceede that point if you are saying it is better.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?272259-New-look-for-the-forum-%284-Viewing%29-nbsp

If webby updated the search database to include the old posts it would be a lot better!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

it's different, I'm not sure I like the change but it will grow on me.

Like a fungal infection? :p

I think the main point as to "Why" has been outlined by letsdothis.... the new V.Bulletin has greater security.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Ok

Minuses:

1. No 'New Posts' button

2. Search facility has no:

a) 'Find posts/ threads started by User'

b) 'Find threads with At least/At most replies, so impossible to look for 0 reply threads

c) 'Show results as post/thread'

3. No 'Mark Forums Read' button

4. Thread titles are far less distinct, less easy to skim, so far more time consuming to read

5. Not having the Forum title in a separate column, again makes it far more difficult to filter out forums that you're not interested in

Pluses

Still looking for any

In short, as a downgrade, a resounding success. As an upgrade, an unmitigated disaster

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4966 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks