PCN for 'stopping' to check the sign on a red route (single red line)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5010 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm so annoyed. I just received a PCN for a parking contravention I apparently made just over 4 months ago. They have pictures of me having 'stopped' on a red route. I definitely never parked on the red route in question, and the only thing I can think that I did was pull up temporarily (less than a minute I'm sure -they sent me 2 still images taken 6 seconds apart) to check the sign to see what times parking is permitted (it's permitted all day on sunday's and 7-7 on all other days). The footage they have must show this. There is a possibility I got out of the car to see the sign, but this should also be recorded if it were the case.

I'm making a representation against the penalty in writing to TFL, and obviously there is nothing I can do apart from wait and see what they say. But I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced anything similar? Surely 'stopping' on the red route entails something more than pulling up next to the sign for a few seconds? I thinks it's outrageous for them to try to take £60 for something that was obviously an innocent 'mistake'. Having a car just doesn't really make sense in London unless you are rich it would seem. It just makes me feel nervous about my every move.

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks guys x

TfL are correct. Stopping is stopping , even to check the signs. That is why they face you unlike those of yellow lines. I would not talk about stopping only for a few seconds to check the signs as all it does is confirm the contravention.

However, were you stopped during the prohibited times? Your post is not clear.

Can you scan and post both sides of the PCN as there may be errors we can spot.

I would state in your informal reps (assuming that you are at that stage) that the delay in sending you the PCN is prejudicial to your ability to investigate the circumstances, a breach of their obligation to act fairly and a procedural impropriety.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Thanks for your reply Bernie :)

Oww, this is so unreasonable. It just seems so unfair for them to be able to slap such a hefty fine on someone who has obviously not intended to break the rules. How can they apply the same penalty to this charge as they would to someone who's obviously disregarded the restrictions.

I'm still considering making a representation saying that the stopping was only done to see the sign. As you say, it's true the sign faces the road but also, the red route lane is a whole lane away from the lane you drive in. You can't see the sign without pulling closer (esp to be safe as the high street where it happened is very busy with traffic and pedestrians). They're persecuting people for trying to be safe. OK so this might be an exaggeration but imagine if you have an accident trying to see a sign whilst the car is moving, just to avoid getting fined by these hawks! It's so frustration because I thought I've been so careful.

Regarding the 4 month gap between the alleged contravention occurring and my receiving the PCN, I've done some research and it seems that although they should deliver the PCN within 14 days of it occurring, this just seems to be a 'loose guideline' and they actually have 6 months, as long as they have contacting the DVLA with a VQ4 within 14 days. I contacted the DVLA but it seems they can only give you the info if you fill out a form (V888 + 5pound fee) and it takes 4 WEEKS for them to get back to you (by which time your 'discount' is invalid). Seems to me this is a hopeless situation set up so that the public don't have much of a fair opportunity to fight.

I feel so fed up at the moment that I’m almost tempted to pay up just so that I don’t have to worry about. Also, although I still think that the fine is unreasonable (I think for this kind of ‘contravention’ there should be a maximum fine of say £20. £60 is a hell of a lot of money for some people!) I’m pretty much 100% sure that they’ll just reject it anyway. (Although…I did call the TFL general enquiries line to ask about whether I was wasting my time and asking whether stopping for a few seconds did count as a contravention. I don’t have any evidence for this but the lady on the phone did tell me that stopping would normally only qualify if it were a few mins). I wonder whether anyone has ever actually had a representation accepted…