Mistake on sellers part?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope this is in the right section apologies if its not.

This is a sale in scotland if it changes anything.

I purchased a car 3 weeks ago, i paid a deposit of £200 to "hold" the car from sale, then returned the next day to pay the extra £7000. Both dealer and I signed the statement as paid and the car ownership was transferred to me and i have been driving it for 3 weeks. The only extra thing that was agreed at the time that the car would come in "soon" to get a little body work repaired. Today i got a call from the dealer, not confirming the booking date but explaining that he'd made a mistake and had written on the statement i had paid £300 deposit instead of £200 and i needed to pay the extra £100 to cover the difference in the deposit made a day before the actual sale. When asked about the bodywork he said when i paid the extra we could discuss a time for it to come in.

Read through the sales act and the other goods act, cross eyed now. Hoping someone will have an idea.

Thanks in advance.

-hhl

This one of the big dealers? Happened to me once with Machargs (part of Arnold Clark). They forgot to take the deposit altogether. I paid it next time I was passing, reason being that at Machargs the salesmans commission would be deducted by the amount, didn't seem fair for him to lose out.

You need the dent repaired, that is worth more than £100, I would pay the £100 and be happy with the car at a price you agreed.

This would not be so much of a question for statutory law to solve, more a matter of what exactly the original terms of an agreement were and what was done about it.

Is it worth the trouble?

At the end of the day there's presumably a total price to pay or not to pay.

;)

As perplexity has said, there is a total price. From what you say, the car was for sale at £7,200 and when you returned to pay the £7,000 balance, they took £6,900, is that correct? If not they are trying a [problem]. If you paid a deposit of £200 and then £7,000 then you have paid what was asked and him writing £300 is his fault and he just needs to amend the £300 to £200 and you both sign it, you don't owe him anything.