Off peak times?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. My husband bought tickets from Liverpool to London via trainline. He booked a ticket after 9am and to return after 6pm as these tickets were considerably cheaper than those before 9am and before 6pm.

He got his tickets, got down to London - no problem but on the way home, he hung around London until 6pm and headed back to get on the train. There was nobody there to check the tickets at the station and so he got on the train and sat down.

A few stations on, the ticket inspector came and my husband showed his ticket. "That's an off-peak ticket" he was told. "Yes, I know, but it's after 6pm." he replied. "Off peak changed to after 7pm last year". My husband was then told he would either have to pay £57 extra there and then, or be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice. As the entire return ticket had cost him £70, he didn't want to double the expense so he offered to get off the train at the next station and wait until after 7pm. He was told he could not do this and so has now spent £57 that we don't have direct to this obnoxious man.

My issue is, that when my husband bought the tickets, he had to click in the box for the price and the time so that ticket must have been available at that price for the journey after 6pm?

Off peak times seem to vary from train company to train company as well so do we have any redress here? Obviously we are going to complain but any advice that could be offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jackie

I don't know about Euston but certainly at Paddington it shows on the departure screens for each train the tickets that are valid for each service, one thing I do know is that Virgin do have posters at their stations stating Off-Peak times etc (i'm presuming that being Liverpool to London his journey was with Virgin?).

The train manager has acted correctly in this instance and to be honest has acted leniently by allowing your husband to just pay the difference in fares and not charge him for an entire new ticket, as harsh as it may sound, it is up to the traveller to find out if their ticket is valid, surely he could have asked a member of staff at the station?

Having said all the above, ticket restrictions are a minefield even for the people who work on the railway, let alone the passengers!

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.