Withholding of reference!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am in a dispute with my Landlord about various issues to do with my AS Tenancy. It started in May 2008 and when due to the many problems I have had I involved my local council (environmentsl health and trading standards), my landlord gave me 2 months notice. Due to all the problems I have had which include issues relating to the deposit and the lack of the prescribed information, I was advised to request some compensation. I have requested an unspecified amount because I don't really know how much to ask for, but the Landlord has refused any anyway. my notice expires at the end of August and I want to go but finding another property for me and my family is difficult and I need a reference. My landlords solicitor has said my LL can't provide reference as I have threatened court action for unspecified sum but will provide if I drop the case against them! Any adivce or suggestions as what to do next please would be greately appriciated. Thanks very much.

Unfortunatley there is no legal requirement for your LL to provide you with a reference. I am surpirsed you even thought he would given the trouble you have obviously had with him.

I wasnt aware you could claim for an unspecified amount?

So I suppse ot comes down to what do you want more - a reference or 'compensation'.

Unfortunately you are rather vague about some of this.

What difficulties with the deposit? Is it protected? Has he made difficulties about returning it?

On what issues did you involve council? EH I can guess, but Trading Standards?

Did solicitor say that to you or write it? If the latter, that's a good enough reference in itself.

You don't appear to be asking for the 3 x penalty for non-protection of deposit, so why do you think you have a right to compensation?

No, you cannot claim in court for an unspecified amount. Have you started an action or just threatened?