Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Not sure about the lease read through all the documents i have and couldnt find anything about parking. Contacted the management Office to get a copy sent to me. When i complained to them about the ticket they told me to appeal so they clearly don't care.      and yes it's a gated underground parking area with key fob entry. 
    • The coronavirus pandemic has thrown many countries into recession - but what exactly is it and how could it affect you? View the full article
    • Oh and before bed   Officially leaked statements about a PHE report claiming that a UK study will say there is little evidence of children transmitting Covid.   Leakers stats look impressive until you realise he's on Johnson's SAGE so makes you think - huh - hows that then when all the science I've seen says different, and there are a number of reports of spreads in schools across the world from schools that had opened.   Then, little as the information 'leaked' is, you see   "largest studies in the world on coronavirus in schools" and then "The study was carried out in 100 institutions in the UK and is expected to be published later this year. About 20,000 pupils and teachers in 100 schools across England were tested to monitor the spread of the disease up to the end of the summer term – which runs from April-July in Britain."   Then you click. That averages 200 pupils and staff per 'institution' checked We dont know what these institutions are, but I think over 200 is the average for infants schools. Other schools tend to be FAR larger. Did they test everyone at each institution, or just some ??? we don't know yet - they are choosing not to leak that - Wonder why?   We currently understand that younger children (pre teenage) seem to present few/less symptoms  (statistically) but large increases in teenager covid has been reported as lockdowns ease and they start to meet more.   I know my OH's grandson (mother a nurse) has remained at school in classes one third or less that normal, with the majority of kids having front line worker parents - so well aware of the discipline and hygiene necessary. We know the schools maintain distancing, monitoring and maintenance which would be IMPOSSIBLE in normal class sizes.   So in a lock down situation, with class sizes significantly lower than normal (highly aware front-line workers kids mainly), increased distancing and cleaning made possible by SIGNIFICANTLY smaller class sizes - Has maybe resulted in no great evidence of covid spread perhaps?   Well Whoopy do. Lets ramp the class sizes back up to 30+ and see what happens ..     Lets let the mail lead the way Coronavirus infection rates are rising in ALL age groups under 65, Public Health England data shows with biggest surge in under-fives which 'should be watched very carefully' https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8615423/Coronavirus-infection-rates-rising-age-groups-65-Public-Health-England-data-shows.html     and the ONS stats showing how similar the stats are (a statistically significant  difference can be very little actual difference)   https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19infectionsinthecommunityinengland/july2020     Notes: These statistics refer to infections reported in the community, by which we mean private households. These figures exclude infections reported in hospitals, care homes or other institutional settings.  
    • i understand and agree you should write a formal letter of complaint about the email by royal mail.   i also think you should totally dispute the arrears balance, esp as it goes back so long   send them an sar and add to the text in it that you want statements/bills dating back to the gb energy a/c.
    • When you see the reports coming out that serco was involved from the earliest stages apparently to give expertise   and that resulted in 18 million plus people coming back into the UK untested from hotspots .. and then even the general advice to self isolate after they had travelled across the UK home being withdrawn in the run-up to the lock down   That went well says cummings      
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies

Relevent person and the security deposit

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3648 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Housing act Section 214 says:


Where a tenancy deposit has been paid in connection with a shorthold tenancy, the tenant or any relevant person (as defined by section 213(10)) may make an application to a county court on the grounds— ……………………………


Section 213 (10) says

relevant person” means any person who, in accordance with arrangements made with the tenant, paid the deposit on behalf of the tenant.




I am a parent and I paid part of the deposit on behalf of my son. There were four tenants and other parents paid equal amounts. The tenancy ended last month and we know that the deposit was not protected.


The LL was alerted to this and he was trying to wiggle out of the law saying that it was not a deposit but 6 weeks rental in advance. The Short-hold TA however identifies it as security deposit.


My question is since the housing act says ….. any relevant person (as defined by 213(10) my make an application to court….. Can I claim the deposit back and 3 X compensation as I am one of the relevant persons ?. I am named in the contract as a guarantor along with three other parents.


As a named guarantor in the contract can I alone make a claim? Do I have to name all other tenants in the action? If I make a claim as the relevant person do I claim the entire deposit or only my part of the deposit that I paid? I am the only one dealing with this and others have gone away in different directions (some gone abroad and difficult to get hold of). The LL has gone quite and not answering any calls. I have written to him asking the deposit back in full as we do not appear to have any disputes as such. But he is playing games and now it looks like he is not going to give the deposit back easily. It was definitely unprotected. I have verified that with all three schemes and the LL has also verbally acknowledged that it was unprotected.


What is my position as the parent and guarantor to get the money back. I need my share of the deposit to pay another deposit for the next contract of my son.


In short:

My main question is can I sue the LL as a relevant person for not protecting the deposit?

If I am allowed to sue as a relevant person do I ask for the entire deposit and 3 x deposit as compensation or the tenants will have to claim the deposit and 3x. ?

With the consent of the tenants can I alone sue the LL on their behalf as a relevant person ?.


Any help and clarification on how I should go about this is much appreciated.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought that you alone can sue for the portion you paid. If you wanted to sue for it all, I would have thought that you could add the other tenants as joint claimants. Iamnotalawyer.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
I would have thought that you alone can sue for the portion you paid. If you wanted to sue for it all, I would have thought that you could add the other tenants as joint claimants. Iamnotalawyer.

Thnaks for th ereply Steve_M

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are certainly the relevant person and have the right to bring an action for return plus 3 x penalty.


The matter turns on the question, "what deposit?"


A court might claim that "the deposit" can only mean the whole deposit as I guess the AST only mentioned one deposit. Now the legislation puts tenant and person only in the singular but courts recognise that there are joint tenants and they are very unlikely to rule against you on that count.


So you cannot really make a claim for your bit of the deposit, but what you should do is make the application to court, making it clear that you are demanding that the LL pays the deposit (singular) plus the penalty proportionately to those who paid it to him in the first place.


Thus the court will order him to pay a total sum and it will be up to him to split it. Costs will go to you, of course. So you don't need to find the other parents.


That LL doesn't just pay you off is yet more proof of the insanity that greed engenders.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for the reply.


I would like to hear whether any other parents who have put up deposits for their

sons and daughters have encountered similar situations and their methods of dealing with greedy landlords.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an update. LL paid back part of the deposit keeping a large portion without any explanation. Sent a message through the agent that I will be taking legal action as the relevant person and LL paid back the deposit in full.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you Ian, well done!

If you dont ask, you dont get!



Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p



I have been smoke-free for 4yrs

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's Good. If you are able to, do inform the other parents because they will be able to use your success to demand for themselves.


I would imagine that the agent told the LL "Pay now or it will cost you a lot more later."

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...