Fitness First / help for a 17 year old.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4979 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi! I'm a 17 year old who is currently studying, and doing his A-Levels, I applied for a membership at Fitness First, and cancelled my membership with 34.95 still overdue. I had no sort of income apart from my EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) and I had problems managing my money. Before I knew it, C.A.R.S sent me a letter home saying I owed them £304.53.. I don't know how I'm supposed to pay this amount, but after having read the comments above, I think I made a mistake, I gave them my card details over the phone, and we made an agreement that I'd pay £50 each month till the payment was finished, I failed to make the first payment, and they said they will take 50 pound on Friday for the month I missed and will take a further 50 pound for the month of August, but I know I will not have the sufficient amount of money by Friday, have I made a mistake by giving them my details, and should I tell him to contact me via email/letter in the future? As I have no source of income whatsoever, Any advice on what to do would be good, should I send that template (the second post) via writing or a typed document? Thanks, please get back to me asap. Can they put a 17 year old to court? my parents didn't even sign the FItnessFirst contract, the guy who was taking me through signed.

Hello and Welcome, Mr.Arsenal.

I've started a new thread for you and unapproved your other posts, please continue to post on this thread.

Thanks.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

;)MD...

OK. You need to contact your bank ASAP and report your card lost, so they can then cancel it and issue you with a new one, and FF or C.A.R.S can't take any money out of your account.

You MUST keep everything in writing, and NEVER talk to them over the phone.

This is mile away from seeing the inside of a court so don't worry in that respect, this is why you must NEVER talk to them over the phone as they will tell you that they can take you to court, the moon is made of cheese, and pigs really do fly.

If they ring again tell them everything in writing, and put the phone down, if they are persistent in harassing you over the phone come back and there is a letter you can send them to tell them what offences they are committing and to stop.

Letters are the only way you will get a paper trail of evidence, and they are less likely to lie and abuse you in a letter, rather than the phone which is all they ever do.

How did the debt go from £34.95 to over £300?

Was this a 12 mth contract? Did you give them the months notification that you wanted to cancel your membership?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

@ Bazooka Boo

I gave them a month's notification that I wanted to cancel my account, they told me "there was no space available for account cancellations" so I cancelled my account by cancelling the Direct Debit on Internet Banking, and yes I signed a 12 month contract. I have no idea how the debt reached that much, I was shocked myself when I saw that amount, I'll get in contact with my bank ASAP, so here's the deal, get in contact with my bank, tell them to cancel my card? but when I get a new card, will my card number and everything be different? (I don't mind this)

Edited by Mr.Arsenal
Thanks for the responses btw people.. much appreciated.

Yes your card number will be different, probably the last two digits, but more importantly the cvv code on the back on the signature strip will have changed, this will stop them from using your card details to get money from your account.

The outstanding balance will be the remaining months, monthly fee that you won't be paying, keep an eye on you bank account if they previously had a DD, even if they do attempt to re-instate it and remove funds, you will be able to get this back from the bank.

I have no idea what they mean by 'no space available for cancellations'?????

How many months into the 12 mth contract where you when you cancelled?

The figure don't add up, well not on my abacus, so are you aware if they have added on any charges?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

And over the phone, I usually always go through security, and they always tell me to confirm my address as part of it, should I do that any more?

NO, STOP talking to them over the phone, you have no evidence of these calls and what is being said, unless your recording them?

I opened up my account in late January and decided to cancel it in May, so I was 5 months into my contract.. I still had £34.95 due before cancelling it but somehow, that fee got to £300+, how I don't know.

As advised, log your card as lost - possibly stolen. This will prevent any further payments.

You have made this contract whilst you are still a minor - less than 17 years of age. It is not binding on you.

Send them a letter pointing out that they have entered into a contract with a minor and that as such you are now repudiating the contract and that if they wish to take you to court, you will defend on that basis.

Report them to Trading Standards.

Igone any further correspondence from them. Don't speak to them on the phone unless you record the calls.

If they take you to court - very unlikely - then simply say in your defence that you deny any debt. that you were a minor at the time of the alleged contract and that you reupdiated the contract in writing.

If you hear from any debt collectors, then send them the same message.

Make sure that you send your repudiation to the gym by special delivery

OK you need to keep everything in writing from now on, if they ring again tell them 'everything in writing' and hang up.

I'll look in tomorrow..

Send them a letter pointing out that they have entered into a contract with a minor and that as such you are now repudiating the contract and that if they wish to take you to court, you will defend on that basis

"them" being Fitness First or CARS? Should I type up the document, Or should it be hand-written? I'm sure I would need help conjuring something to write as I have done nothing of this sort before. Apart from GCSE English.

Would this affect my credit rating in the future?

"them" being Fitness First or CARS?
Whoever is pestering you for money.
I'm sure I would need help conjuring something to write as I have done nothing of this sort before. Apart from GCSE English.
Just say that you were under 18 at the time of signing the contract and as such it is invalid & that you repudiate any agreement.
Would this affect my credit rating in the future?
No.

As I said above, contact Consumer Direct above tomorrow.... they'll sort it for you. ;)

Thanks mate, what should I tell Consumer Direct when I call them?
Just explain what has happened and what they are demanding. The telephonist will ask the relevant questions but make sure you explain you are under 18.
Should I type up the document or write it?
Just type it.

Okay, so I've cancelled my debit card..

C.A.R.S sent me a postal letter today saying

PAYMENT REJECTED

Dear.asjgasogoargarg

Please be advised that your bank/credit card has refused your recent payment towards the above account.

Please note that if the full balance is not forwarded within 7 days a charge will be added to your outstanding balance to cover costs incurred by the rejected payment.

Please forward the full outstanding balance in cleared funds, quoting your reference number at all times, this can be either a banker's draft/ postal orders or cash registered post.

Failure to forward the outstanding balance will result in your default account details being forwarded to our litigation department to commence legal proceedings. This could incur further costs and could seriously affect your ability to obtain credit in the future.

PLEASE DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE SERIOUSNESS OF THIS LETTER.

That was quickly followed by me reporting my card as lost.

I also phoned Consumer Direct and they weren't a lot of help, they said an under 18 is allowed to sign a gym contract, and I am liable to pay that money cause I signed a 12 month contract.

Did you send the letter as advised to FF

Have you sent a copy to CARS.

If you've done this, just ignore any further letters from them.

Bankfodders earlier post explains the situation.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Mr A,

If you don't send this letter, they will continue to harass you.

If you want help, type up a draft of the letter and I'll check it over before you send it.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)