style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3661 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Please help about 3 days ago I received a letter through the door from Rossendales with a magistrates liability order/distress warrant for unpaid council tax. I then received one 2 days later (hadn't had a chance to contact anyone) saying final notice and it says I must now give you 24 hours statutory notice of my intentions to recall and remove your effects. I panicked completely and my partner then phoned the company asking what it was all about. I was in such a state I couldn't phone. I then read some of the post on this site and decided to just contact the council regarding the debt. They said I did indeed owe some money but they could not deal with the debt and I had to contact the bailiff. He has phoned twice to my partner today saying I have to speak to him and pay the money owed. I don't want to deal with him but the council said I have to and they won't deal with the debt. What do I do?? and yes i'm panicking can't think of anything else all day however reading some of the posts on here have calmed me slightly. I have no intention of letting them in the door however. Should I just keep on ignoring them.

Hi there,

First things first, please ensure that your property is secure with doors and windows locked. Hide any vehicles around the corner. Do not let the bailiff into your property, they cannot break in unless they have been in before.

Please read this fact-sheet:

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 02 Bailiffs And Council Tax

Then take time to familiarise yourself with our forum, we're here to help!

Best wishes,

Seq.

Thank you so much..will keep doors and windows locked..

Could you give us a bit more info please?

How much do they say you owe?

What fees has the bailiff put on the letters?

What is your personal situation? Work/benefits children etc? (not being nosey, but in certain cases the debt can be sent back to the council that it is owed to).

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

I contacted the council and they have agreed to take the debt back except now without even checking how much I earn or payout every month they have said they have done an attachment of earnings order which i just know is going to be more than i can pay and i;m going to end up in a mess with other bills..is there no rules or regulations surrouning this

I contacted the council and they have agreed to take the debt back except now without even checking how much I earn or payout every month they have said they have done an attachment of earnings order which i just know is going to be more than i can pay and i;m going to end up in a mess with other bills..is there no rules or regulations surrouning this

Yes, there is. How much do you take home after tax and deductions?

Before they do an attachment of earnings they usually send out a means form of your income and outgoings. They the calculate what you can afford to pay.

Have you requested on of these from the council.

Before they do an attachment of earnings they usually send out a means form of your income and outgoings. They the calculate what you can afford to pay.

Have you requested on of these from the council.

The collection of council tax is held under Regulation 38 of The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regs 1992. The order will collect a percentage of the total earnings and wouldn't consider an individuals regular outgoings. This is different to the process used for county court judgments. Having said this, a LA does have the power to vary the amount of the deduction although this power is hardly ever used, so much so that many authorities do not even no it exists! It is also possible under Regulation 41(2) to request that an authority discharge the order alltogether, this is very seldom used - really only in severe hardship cases.

The collection of council tax is held under Regulation 38 of The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regs 1992. The order will collect a percentage of the total earnings and wouldn't consider an individuals regular outgoings. This is different to the process used for county court judgments. Having said this, a LA does have the power to vary the amount of the deduction although this power is hardly ever used, so much so that many authorities do not even no it exists! It is also possible under Regulation 41(2) to request that an authority discharge the order alltogether, this is very seldom used - really only in severe hardship cases.

you are absolutely correct in this, and I should of said that they only take essential outgoings into considerations, I can only speak from experience with regards to my council in saying that, and they will only take into account such outgoings as mortgage/rent, CT. Utility bills etc, sometimes they will consider other debts. I suppose each council is different.

I suppose each council is different.

That is very true.

In the cases I've had the Local Authorities use the following table to caculate the deductions:

For those earning up to £220 per month - No deduction

Exceeding £220 but not exceeding £400 - 3% per month

Exceeding £400 but not exceeding £540 - 5% per month

Exceeding £540 but not exceeding £660 - 7% per month

Exceeding £660 but not exceeding £1040 - 12% per month

Exceeding £1040 but not exceeding £1480 - 17% per month

Exceeding £1480 - 17% for the first £1480 and then 50% thereafter (how harsh is that?!)