benregis

Best way to make a complaint

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3663 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Would like some advice re making a complaint to a garage. I've been going to a local garage for about 2 years for MOTs and servicing. First couple of times I went they were pretty good, but the last time there were a few minor problems - nothing serious, and I didn't pursue it. Anyway....

About 5 weeks ago my car refused to go into reverse, the RAC came, diagnosed a broken reverse gear linkage and did a temporary fix (which, fingers crossed, is still holding). I booked the car into the usual garage for a repair, and then had to cancel because of problems at work, I gave them plenty of notice, and re-booked immediately to today.

I was told to take the car in any time during the previous week so that they could check out what parts they needed, so I went in last Thursday. A young mechanic, who was very pleasant, had a quick look at the car, said that I would need a complete set of gear cables, and that the job would possibly be quite expensive, as it was quite tricky. I had thought up to this point that it would be straightforward, but now realised that it looked as though it was going to be pretty expensive, I asked him if he had any idea how much it would cost, he didn't but said that the chap in the office should be able to tell me. Back we went to the office, he explained to guy who was then in charge what the problem was, and I asked him for a rough estimate. And he told me he had no idea. I pressed him, saying that he must have a rough idea of the time that sort of job would take as they had done it before, and he growled "3 hours, £160 + VAT", so I then asked how much the parts would cost "No idea", I asked him to give me a ring once he knew how much the parts were, so I had some sort of an idea as to whether I could afford the job or not. He really didn't want to ring me, I was given the impression that it was extremely difficult to find out the cost of parts, and that I was being an extremely unreasonable woman for wanting to have an estimate.

I gave him my works number, impressed on him that was the number that I needed to be rung on, and waited to hear from him. He didn't ring. I rang later on Thursday, and had my head bitten off, Friday there was no message, I rang towards the end of the afternoon, but everyone had gone home early. Saturday I decided that if they were so cagy about their prices, and rude into the bargain I didn't want to go to them, so I phoned up and cancelled.

This evening I happened to check my mobile, which I very rarely use, and discovered 2 messages on there - I'd used my mobile yesterday so these messages hadn't been left prior to the weekend. 1st message was from Mr. Happy, who shouted down the phone that the cables had arrived, they were £100 + VAT, and that as I'd cancelled unless I phoned to confirm I didn't want the cables they would be charged to me, and with that he slammed the phone down. There was then a second message from someone else at the garage, saying that the cost would be £250 fully fitted. What I want advice about is how best to permanently cancel and make a complaint - should I phone or would it be better to write, and do they have the right to charge me for the cables (which incidentally seem very expensive - I found a comparison site with cables much cheaper than that) when I had made it quite clear that I wanted an estimate?

Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

If the situ is as you say, just forget abouth the whole deal with them and go elsewhere. You could write a short letter basically saying;

Dear Mr Bear with sore ar*e

I write in relation to an estimate I requested to make repairs to my gear linkage cables on my vehicle (MAKE/MODEL/VRM) which I have been bringing to you for some 2 years for MOT and servicing.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi,

If the situ is as you say, just forget abouth the whole deal with them and go elsewhere. You could write a short letter basically saying;

I write in relation to an estimate I requested to make repairs to my gear linkage cables on my vehicle (MAKE/MODEL/VRM) which I have been bringing to you for some 2 years for MOT and servicing.

I don't know whats happened to my above post but its incomplete. I have asked the admin team to investigate but I don't really want to type it all out again!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi, sailor sam.

I'm trying to find out what happened.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks Sam,

Sorry you got shortened! I was beginning to think on the same lines as you that it would be better to put it in writing than to phone. What about the situation re them wanting to charge me for the parts - could they do this? Any ideas?

And yes, I am definitely going elsewhere, am thinking of getting the AA to do me a quote, which they can do without tying me to them, and can then go and get quotes elsewhere if necessary with a bit more confidence.

Hi, sailor sam.

Seems this sometimes happens :rolleyes: you will have to write it again, sorry.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks Sam,

Sorry you got shortened! I was beginning to think on the same lines as you that it would be better to put it in writing than to phone. What about the situation re them wanting to charge me for the parts - could they do this? Any ideas?

And yes, I am definitely going elsewhere, am thinking of getting the AA to do me a quote, which they can do without tying me to them, and can then go and get quotes elsewhere if necessary with a bit more confidence.

Not unless you actually asked them to do the work.

My letter (2nd attempt) went somthing like this;

I write in relation to an estimate I requested to make repairs to my gear linkage cables on my vehicle (MAKE/MODEL/VRM) which I have been bringing to you for some 2 years for MOT and servicing without signifitant issue.

Following quite a few unsucessful attempts to obtain this by telephone, I have decided to take my future business elsewhere due to the rude attitude of your staff toward me when making these calls. It would appear that they regard my enquiries as being intrusive while I was simply trying to find out how much this work was going to cost. As a consiquence, I will not be requiring to purchase the parts which your staff apparently have orderd prior to my confirmation of having the work done so subsiquently, I take no responsibility for this.

I trust this clarifies my position and hope this concludes the issue.

Yours faithfully,

Mrs A Dissalusioned customer (EX)

Please check for spelling mistakes if you decide to use this as my fingers are numb!

To clarify; they cannot charge you for somthing you did not order.

Come back if you need to.

Please Note

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

I don't know whats happened to my above post but its incomplete.

So it would seem is the work on her car :)

to the rude and very unprofessional attitude of your staff toward me

Just a suggestion to add.

Please check for spelling mistakes if you decide to use this as my fingers are numb!

That will be the cider :)

Thanks chaps,

I had originally booked in for them to do the work - but made it clear after the conversation with the mechanic (nice one, not Mr. Bear) that I needed a rough idea of the cost before they could go ahead with the work - am going to write to them - and then have some of Sam's cider!

Ooo ARRR!

:D

Please Note

Please Note