• Tweets

• SERCO seem to be a default company that Government use to perform contact centre type tasks. So any department faced with a problem, say a sudden increase in incoming phone calls, which they cannot handle, because they are dealing with more immediate issues such as making payments to the public, may in the short term involve SERCO.   SERCO seem to employ a lot of security cleared, DBS checked, financial checked etc employees, so they seem to equipped and ready to manage tasks on behalf of Government departments.   No idea just how much work SERCO does on behalf of Government, but I should imagine it makes up a sizeable chunk of their business.   Public Health departments may want to perform the work themselves, but given the number of employess required, the recruitment process involved, the hours of work 24/7 and just how quick they need to be set up to perform the work, I question whether they are better placed to do so.   I wouid always prefer public sector employees over outsourced contracts, but I can understand why Government uses companies such as SERCO. 
    • Well, we’ve found something we agree on.   you’ve described the unfairness, but haven’t said what (realistically!) you feel your options are.
    • There's a campaign against Serco and in favour of local public health people. Apologies for one bit of language but it's a memorable slogan.   https://twitter.com/i/status/1309910583790252037  
    • Hi.   What type of lease have you had up to now please?   HB
    • my options are if they can be shown they have some responsibility as they did earn commssion and the resturant has its payment. so both parties and paid and i lose out. if we can show they have some moral if not legal obligation then maybe they can give me some refund if not all.   imagine how many others being screwed over too?   beacuse it is online are we to be cheate for now untill goverment decides to govern this area of ecomerese or something?   i dont have a clue.
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 6 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3708 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Back in 2005 I signed up to to a post graduate university degree for which I had to pay fees of about £4,000. I paid £1,000 up front and was supposed to pay the rest in 3 instalments during the year. For personal reasons I didn't do any serious studying after the first term and I didn't pay the rest of the fees due for the year.

Two years ago the uni obtained a CCJ against me for the fees and I paid off about another £1k but I haven't paid anything for a while.

I actually wouldn't have a problem in paying the balance of the judgment in a lump sum but I want to do so in a way that gets rid of the CCJ from my credit record as it's causing considerable difficulties.

One option would be to offer to make the payment in full provided that the uni didn't object to an application from me to set the CCJ aside. I don't know whether they would accept that sort of offer. If they did is there any way I could get them to bind themselves to do what they say they would do? Assuming they kept their word, would it be normal for an application to set aside (based on not receiving the papers) normally go through if the claimant didn't do anything or would I likely have to go through a hearing?

The second option is apply for a set aside anyway and let them contest it. The original claim documents were sent to a house I still part own but haven't lived at for a very long time. I didn't see them until after the submission date for the defence. I could have appealed at the time or applied to set aside since but as I mentioned, I accept there is a valid debt here and I'm happy to pay it. Incidentally I think I may have a valid defence against part of the claim because I understand that the claimant has a duty to mitigate their loss and the uni have gone after me for the full amount of the fees rather than their actual losses. Putting these two issues together, does anyone think I have a hope of getting a set aside?

It wouldn't bother me if I did get a set aside and the claimant tried to come after me again as I would simply pay the debt. The key thing here is to get this CCJ off my credit record.

Any thoughts?

I don't think that you stand a snowball's chance.

It is difficult enough trying to clear credit records when you have the Right of it on your side.

You admit the debt. You have paid part of it. There is a CCJ which you have paid against. the CCJ is 2 years old.

I think that the chances of getting a setside are extremely remote at best. you would have to convince a judge that you have a reasonable chance of success if you are allowed to defend. You don't have a chance at all.

You suggest that the University might be prepared to clear your credit file in return for full payment. i doubt very much that they will be interested in dealing with you on that basis - but I suppose that it might be your best (only) shot.

Don't bother about the other ideas though

Steamboiler - I agree with Bankfodder.

Mainly because you've stated that you started paying the amount(s) ordered by the court and are now in breach of the CCJ.

If you requested getting a setaside, considering your CCJ breach, I have a strong feeling that no judge would be sympathetic.

I think your best bet is to sit down, make sure you know exactly what you owe and speak to the University's accounts/finance office to see what their position would be should you pay the sum you owe in one go.

To be honest, I think you'll probably end up just having to pay the full amount and putting up with having a CCJ and a CCJ default on your credit file for the remainder of the six year period.

It's not great, but at the end of the six years you'd have a clean record and you'd not owe anything.

Please note, I am not professionally qualified in legal matters. Should you have any doubts, you should contact a legal expert.

However, I can and will help with matters regarding payroll as I am fully qualified.

If I've helped in any way, you're welcome to click on my "star" and thanks, but I gain the most satisfaction simply by helping/reassuring :O)

On the pint you have made that they have charged you more than their losses. You could be right - but given the other circumstances and given that the courts are very much more hard-nosed about thiskind of thing since the last year or two, I don't think that there is a lot of miliage in your position.