Working notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've given a months notice at work as I have another job to go to.

As you may understand, I'm leaving as I'm not happy there, so I'm now not particularly showing much interest.

Short of asking me to go early and paying me for the remainder of the notice period, is there anything they can do about the lack of interest?

Thanks

Found on Yahoo

Unfortunately the first thing you need to be wary of is not dismissal, but the varied, unhelpful, and often inaccurate answers you've received.

Technically, you can be dismissed during a notice period, but the employer would still need a reason for the dismissal - such as disciplinary - and then follow the due process. We could (and often would) guide an employer through a dismissal process that takes less than 2 weeks, so the issues you need to consider are the duration of your notice (if you will be gone in a week or so, you should be fine), and whether you have any other disciplinary issues on your file - this will be a case probably treated as serious misconduct (insubordinate behaviour), but it won't stand up as gross misconduct if you fail to turn up for work, so on a clean record, you could just take the day off, face the sh!# the next day, and take your chances with new employment.

If you have to give more notice - your contract might stipulate a month or so - you could be dismissed within the notice period, but again not likely, and you may have a case for unfair dismissal if this happens.

Source(s):

Employment Law Consultants

Hope it helps

Link to original: Can you be sacked after handing in your notice? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Thanks greenfrog,

Have to work a month.

All I really want them to do is ask me to go early - there won't be any misconduct and so on and I have a clean record.

It's just that I'm now not taking the same interest as I used to. Ie; not working on after hours to get things done etc - which could possibly cause issues with the job.

Any more comments would be appreciated.

Thanks greenfrog,

Have to work a month.

All I really want them to do is ask me to go early - there won't be any misconduct and so on and I have a clean record.

It's just that I'm now not taking the same interest as I used to. Ie; not working on after hours to get things done etc - which could possibly cause issues with the job.

Any more comments would be appreciated.

Hi there.

You do need to be very careful, as you certainly don't want to be leaving under a cloud, and as previously advised, you can still be dismissed if your lack of interest were to lead to disciplinary action - even if disciplinary action were not to lead to dismissal, it would certainly not be desirable to leave with a warning under your belt.

Probably best in the circumstances to seek a meeting with your employer to try and negotiate an earlier release from your contract - perhaps work half of the notice? They may or may not accept that, but if they don't, then just try to keep your head down for the rest of the time you are there. A month isn't so long, after all and at least you will be looking forward to a new start.

Congratulations on the new job!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Also............................... you never know when you might need them again i.e if your new job doesnt work out you might need to go back or might require another refrence etc. so bide your time, grit your teeth and in a months time leave with a smile :D;)