kitkat768

Is there any legal way of getting my deposit back with a sub-let room?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3665 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello

I have rented a room in a flat.It is being sub-let by the current tenant since he cant afford to pay for the rent on his own. It was a min of 6mos stay. When I moved in I asked the sub-letter to give me a contract for my stay. I paid him one month deposit and one month advance.I made him sign a receipt of the deposit I paid him.

Due to work changes I have to move before end of contract. I informed my sub-letter 2months in advance while he was looking for my replacement.I even helped him advertise(at my own expense) online for us to get another tenant. When I moved out, he asked me if he can return my deposit back when a new tenant moves in.I agreed to him, just being considerate as well. I even agreed that instead of giving me back full deposit, he will retain some of it as compensation for the time he wasted not going to work just to meet up potential renters.

Now he already got a new person renting the room. I asked him if he can give me back remaining of my deposit. He is now avoiding me.not answering my calls and messages.

Do I have any legal right?