Please please help. Capital One have done a disgusting thing to me

dipstick99

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok basically i have received a default on my credit file through no fault of my own. If you read the letter i have prepared below, you will get a grasp of my situation. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated, i have had a mortgage application declined due to this. It is putting so much stress on me and my family. I really need this removed.

The letter is as follows:

Capital One Card Services 

P.O. Box 5283 

Nottingham 

NG2 9HD

(Executive Office, Capital One, 
PO Box 5281, Nottingham, 
NG2 3FA)

27/07/10

Dear Capital One,

I am extremely disappointed with the service I have received from you as a company. I had an account with you from 2006 to 2009, I cancelled my account in early 2009 and paid a final balance of around £34. This was my last payment to Capital One Ltd. Shortly after this I moved home and received no further correspondence from Capital One.

Today I checked my equifax credit history file as I had trouble with a recent mortgage application. My credit history showed a defaulted account with Capital One. It is evident that the account was not cancelled when I was advised that it had been; I was told that the card was no longer active and would no longer be usable. The cancellation was completed via one of your staff from your call centers based outside the UK. Why are your sales teams fluent in English and easy to talk to? As soon as I requested cancellation of my account I was put through to an overseas call centre where the gentleman on the other end of the phone could hardly understand what I was saying.

Now I am faced with the prospect of a defaulted account on my credit history, which is going to affect my life drastically, not to mention my family’s life. All of this stress due to an incompetent member of your staff. The balance on the account was minimal, it still is minimal (£98.8 even though interest has been charged since the day I cancelled; I have no idea what the outgoing payments from the account are even for. I have not seen my credit card since 2009 and I have not thought about Capital One since the day I cancelled my account.

Capital One has drastically reduced my chances of being a successful mortgage applicant – which is going to affect me for the next 6 years. This is why I have taken it upon myself to forward this to the Consumer Credit Ombudsman. This red strike on my credit report was unwarranted and undeserved.

Please can you help me resolve this matter amiably, I just cannot comprehend how this has happened. I have been on the phone all day, I called your call centre, which to be frank was no help at all, so I then contacted debt collection agencies in order to retrieve my account details. I have not received a single phone call from capital one, a single letter: no contact at all since I moved home.

Again i would be so grateful to any advice givers out there.

Thanks

if this is on equifax credit file, it will more than likely also be on your experian and also callcredit files too, you need to get a copy of those as well, then if it is, write your complaint what you have said on here, and send it recorded delivery to equifax, experian and callcredit, they should write to this creditor on your behalf, and send you a reply, anything you send to this creditor ex, send recorded delivery, do not phone them, everyhing must be in writing, and keep everything.

write to the office of fair trading and tell them what has happened, you should get an acknowledgement, then you can send a copy of it to the three credit file companies too.

hope this helps.:cool:

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

did you inform them of your change of address?

TBH: if you did not then you left yourself wide open to be hit.

pers i would not sent the above letter, it is badly written and also includes no traceable fact.

i would SAR cap1, get the info and then hit them with it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Almost certainly I would send a Subject Access Request to Capital One. A template example is in the library in the following link.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/576-subject-access-request-debt-a-dca

You will need to enclose £10.00. Either cheque or postal order.

One of the things you will need to request is a log of telephone calls in order to confirm that you did make the telephone call to cancel the card.

Further you should contact all 3 Credit reference Agencies and obtain a copy of your credit reference files. This will cost you £2.00 to each company.

Please let us know how you get on.

This thread has been moved to the Capital One forum.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D