Police just smashed my door in

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Posting on behalf of family member who today received a phone call from a neighbor saying the police were kicking her door in.

Turned out there was a warrant for stolen electric,mobile phones etc..

Nothing was found other than her partners little bit of cannabis that he smokes after work, odd joint.

The front door is a complete mess and will need to be replaced as it was

already damaged from a previous visit from the police. Just found this out as below.

Now here is where it gets interesting:

Just found out that the previous tenants were bad uns and today while the police were at the house the previous tenant walked by and the police actually knew him by name and asked if he still lived here, meaning the address there were at.

Also come to notice is that the police were regular attended at the address and a young girl was raped in the property.

(I'm sure the letting agency should have had a right to disclose this information before letting a home.Disgusted we were not informed of this)

Sounds to me the information the police received is outdated for the suspect and the police did no checks to the current status of the tenancy.

More so the police informed me when I arrived at the house that they had been trying for ages to get a reply, knocking on the door and asking neighbors for telephone numbers.

Turns out the door was smashed in within 20 minutes of them arriving at the house. This can be proved.

The police are now saying they are not responsible for the damage to the door and its down to the tenants because they found a small £10 bag of cannabis.

Completely fuming and looking for some legal advice as to where we stand as to the damage to the door, looking at around £300/£400 as the whole door will need replacing and possible some repairs to the frame.

Also have bloody great plod footprints over the black leather sofa.

I'm more than 90% sure they were coming regarding another person been arrested from this house for the same crime and just didn't care to check.

If they had checked they would have found a young working couple who were trying to make home looking forward to there 1st child.

Been tenants for over 1 year without any problems since moving in.

Have a complaint filed with the police and waiting for someone to call back

but would prefer to send a detailed letter of complaint in.

Anyone please offer any advise as at the moment the door is only secured with wood nailed/screwed up.

Anyone good with letter writing for a complaint to the police as I'm useless

and tend to waffle a bit.

George

I fear that the bag of cannabis may be all that the police need to deny responsibility for replacing the door.

Since this is not really a landlord and tenant problem I wonder if you would be better off reposting it in the General Knowledge forum where you are more likely to get a more informed answer.

The police ARE liable they cannot justify their actions after the event simply because of the convenient fact they found a small amount of cannabis. However be warned if you do pursue an action you may find that they in revenge will start a prosecution for the possession of drugs. Having found drugs they might even make a return visit (they have grounds) with the express intention of searching for more

Hi JonCris I was also think the same way and think the cannabis they found is incidental.

Police called tonight regarding complaint but calling back tomorrow at request.

Have a temporary letter ready will post it tomorrow after I find out what the police have to say.

George

If warrant was for you at the address the canabis would get them off the hook, but as they were obvioulsy after someone else, they shouldnt get away with pulling a fast one.

Remember the case in the news a while ago when the police went to a completely wrong address,at first they wouldnt admit it was their responsibility to remedy. They had a battle but eventually got an apology and new door and those people were not even the intended address and they tried it on:rolleyes:.

They should carry a voucher in case of mistakes. I promise to pay the bearer a new door and fitting costs, signee Pc Richard head.

The warrant was for the address and didn't point to any person.

The thing that got me was the old tenant walking by and the police actually knowing who he was and asking if he still lived at the house.

A simple check with voting would have shown new tenants although I think it was the house they targeted.

Not letting them get way with this, they were arrogant and rude and didn't care about the belongings in the house.

Lets hope the police who call today regarding the complaint handle this well and get a new door sorted out.

George