Problem with warranty company - advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a second hand car back in March and purchased a 12 month warranty for it from Warranty Management Services.

A warning light came on the dashboard a few weeks ago and the warranty company told us to take it to a garage and to contact them when the fault had been diagnosed.

We took the car into the garage on the 14th July and were advised that the fault was the ABS pump. I then spoke to the warranty company who advised me that it was covered but that it was too expensive to replace so they wanted the garage to send it off to be repaired instead.

The garage the warranty company instructed to repair the pump didn't even collect it until the 21st July!

We contacted the warranty company on the 29th July because we still hadn't heard anything and neither had the original garage. They finally called us back later that day and advised us that they had been told that the pump was beyond repair. They said that water had got onto the motherboard and that because it was a sealed unit they would not be able to repair it.

The warranty company then told us that it wasn't covered after all because, although it was an electrical fault which is covered by warranty, the fault was caused by water damage.

By this point we have already been without the car for 16 days and because we live out in the country we rely heavily on the car to get to and from work so had to hire a car while ours was being repaired.

I've spoken to the garage today who say the car won't be ready until the 3rd August because they now have to wait for a new pump from the manufacturer which means we would've been without it for 3 weeks and we'll have to pay nearly £1000.00 for the repair!

It's bad enough that the warranty company are refusing to pay for the repair but if they hadn't taken so long to tell us we weren't covered we could've had the car repaired in a matter of days not weeks and not incurred such high hire car charges as well.

We are now faced with a £1000.00 repair bill plus the cost of the car we had to hire to cope for the 3 weeks the car has been in the garage.

Is there anything I can do to try and recoup some of this money from the warranty company?

I'd be grateful for any advice on this matter.

Not sure why you contacted the warranty co first. Under the SOGA, a used car purchased from a trader should be free from defects for the first 6 months of ownership. Any defects which appear in that time are assumed to be present at the point of sale. Your warranty does not replace your statoury rights so basically, you are chasing the wrong people. Your claim is against the seller and you should in the first instance contact him to arrange repairs. I am assuming that the garage you are talking about is the seller. There is little point in contacting the warranty comany at all. If the seller wishes to use the warranty then that is up to him, but in any event he is responsible as far as you are concerned untill 6 months has passed. The repairs should be at no cost to you whether covered by the warranty or not as long as it's a defect not caused by you.

If I were you, I would politely contact the seller and mention you have taken some advice and as such ask him to provide you with a courtesy car or you may be inclined to consider asking for your money back. Under SOGA, you may have a case to reject the car as the repairs are taking an unreasonable time to complete.

Hopefully Conniff, another Cagger who is up on these things will give his view soon. But then again, it is Sunday and the pubs are open!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

The garage carrying out the repair is Nationwide Autocentres not the garage I bought it from.

The dealer I bought the car from is a small secondhand car dealer and doesn't have repair facilities and is based in Bolton. I live in South Wales so I wouldn't be able to return it to them for repairs anyway which was why I purchased the nationwide warranty.

Have you contacted the seller at all? You may be stuck with a repair bill if he hasn't had an opportunity to have some input. At the end of the day, it is the seller's responsibility not the warranty co. The seller may agree to foot the bill for anything not covered under the warranty but in any event, the SOGA says that a repair should not be at the cost of the consumer within the first 6 months of ownership as long as it wasn't caused by the consumer. The only exception can be fair wear and tear.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.