Contributions based JSA - Relevant tax years for NI contributions

info_maniac

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some help and advice regarding the eligibility conditions for contributions based JSA. The more I read about it on various websites and the more I get confused.

My question is focussed on the NI contributions conditions and most importantly the relevant tax years which are looked at for these contributions if someone is submitting a claim for Contri based JSA now (July 2010).

The Direct Gov website says:

You will need to have been employed within the last 2 relevant tax years (currently April 2007 to April 2009) and have paid, or been credited with, National Insurance (NI) contributions on those earnings

There are 2 "Contribution conditions" which are detailed below:

To satisfy the First Contribution Condition, the customer must have:

• paid Class 1 contributions on earnings of at least £2100 in either of the last two Relevant Income Tax Years 07/08 or 08/09

To satisfy the Second Contribution Condition, the customer must have:

• a combination of paid Class 1 contributions on earnings and / or awarded credits of at least £4200 in both 07/08 and 08/09

• by credits we mean credits that are awarded whilst claiming Jobseekers Allowance, Sickness (ESA) or periods of Approved Training.

An exception to these conditions is:

Paid Share Fisherman's or Volunteer Development Workers' Class 2 Contributions in the last two Relevant Income Tax Years.

If you don't think that you have made enough NI contributions, or if you're not sure, select the NO / Don't Know option and you will be directed to make an income based JSA claim instead

No, I am confused that why the last two Relevant Income Tax Years are 07/08 and 08/09.

As per my understanding, if I am making a claim in 2010 then the last two relevant tax years should be 08/09 and 09/10.

Jobcenter plus have rejected one of my recent contributions based JSA claim by saying that:

We cannot pay you because you have not paid, or been credited with, enough class 1 NI contributions.

We have used tax ending 5 April 2008 and 5 April 2009 to assess your claim.

We may still credit you with Class 1 National Insurance Contributions if you continue to attend the jobcentre.

I submitted this claim a couple of weeks back (July 2010).

There have been other problems (actually goofups) with my claim, like my previous surname mentioned in the paperwork with the jobcentre even though I think I filled in the correct surname in the online JSA application at Direct Gov.

I made some mistakes (typos) in the previous post and cannot find out how to edit the original post, so am posting my query again after correcting the typos

I need some help and advice regarding the eligibility conditions for contributions based JSA. The more I read about it on various websites and the more I get confused.

My question is focussed on the NI contributions conditions and most importantly the relevant tax years which are looked at for these contributions if someone is submitting a claim for Contri based JSA now (July 2010).

The Direct Gov website says:

You will need to have been employed within the last 2 relevant tax years (currently April 2007 to April 2009) and have paid, or been credited with, National Insurance (NI) contributions on those earnings

There are 2 "contribution conditions" which are detailed below:

To satisfy the First contribution Condition, the customer must have:

• paid Class 1 contributions on earnings of at least £2100 in either of the last two Relevant Income Tax Years 07/08 or 08/09

To satisfy the Second Contribution Condition, the customer must have:

• a combination of paid Class 1 contributions on earnings and / or awarded credits of at least £4200 in both 07/08 and 08/09

• by credits we mean credits that are awarded whilst claiming Jobseekers Allowance, Sickness (ESA) or periods of Approved Training.

Now, I am confused that why the last two Relevant Income Tax Years are 07/08 and 08/09.

As per my understanding, if I am making a claim in 2010 then the last two relevant tax years should be 08/09 and 09/10.

Jobcenter plus have rejected one of my recent contributions based JSA claim by saying that:

We cannot pay you because you have not paid, or been credited with, enough class 1 NI contributions.

We have used tax years ending 5 April 2008 and 5 April 2009 to assess your claim.

We may still credit you with Class 1 National Insurance Contributions if you continue to attend the jobcentre.

I submitted this claim a couple of weeks back (July 2010).

I plan to write to them and ask that why the last two relevant tax years are 2007/2008 & 2008/2009 and not 2008/2009 & 2009/2010.

The correct tax years to be used for a contributory claim being made in the year 2010 are 07/08 and 08/09.

It is the last two complete tax years prior to the current calendar year which are used.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I plan to write to them and ask that why the last two relevant tax years are 2007/2008 & 2008/2009 and not 2008/2009 & 2009/2010.

Those are the tax years used because they are the tax years the law says must be used.

It works like this: you claim in a benefit year, which runs from January-January. I believe it may be the first Saturday in January to the day before the first Saturday in January the following year, but I won't swear to that - this sort of stuff was way back in my training, and not usually relevant to a maintenance processor like me.

Only completed tax years are considered, but of course the tax year runs from April-April. So the tax year 2009/2010 was not completed before benefit year 2010 started, and isn't considered. The last two complete tax years prior to benefit year 2010 are 2008/2009 and 2007/2008.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.