CCJ out of nowhere

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Bit of a problem, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

When I was at university, our household subscribed to a monthly electricity plan from a company called "Glide" - we were explicitly told that it was an unlimited plan (within their fair usage), and we all paid a set amount every month (it wasn't cheap, but we thought it would be better than worrying about whether the heating was on, etc).

We all moved out after a year with no problems - fast forward to January, I get a phone call from Glide saying I owe £110. I express surprise, and ask why. Apparently, the monthly deal wasn't "unlimited", and was actually just an "average allowance" and over the course of the year, we'd gone over this limit to the amount of £110 per person.

I argued back and forth that I didn't owe this, because we were explicitly told that it was unlimited, and we received absolutely no correspondence from them that we were going over their allowance. The conversation ended with the woman on the phone asking for my email so she could forward through a copy of the invoice, and it would hopefully make more sense.

I received the invoice (dated September 2009) and that was that. I had no further communication from Glide - no emails or phone calls.

Today, I received a Notice of Application for Attachment of Earnings Order. Apparently, a Judgement has already been made against me, and I now owe £318.

This is the original debt plus interest (£218) plus a £100 Attachment issue fee.

I've literally no idea how to proceed with this. Glide had made a single, flimsy attempt to get me to pay back in January, and even then, the woman seemed pretty eager to end the phonecall and just send me an email. I never received any "judgement" from the court, and this is the first I've heard of any of this.

I'm assuming it's now too late to pay Glide directly, but I object to paying almost 3 times the amount of the actual debt (which is bogus anyway, in my opinion).

Does anyone have some advice, please?

did you inform them that you were moving out of the property and no longer required them to provide elec/gas, if you did then they should have arranged for a final meter reading, and an address to send this to. With this info they could have sent you the final bill and if this wasn't paid then issued the court summons to the correct address and given you a chance to defend.

If they had your new address then it will be no problem getting it set aside.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Hi,

Not to put my nose in but i had a similar situation with "Glide".

I too was on an "unlimited" plan and after leaving the property was told it was not unlimited at all and my final bill stood at £400!

I argued for a while but eventually paid as they some how always manage to come up with the figure quoting this period and that charge.

Mine never actually got to the court stage.

However, after a couple of months it still bugged me so i wrote asking them to provide a copy of an agreement and a statement of account showing charges and payments.

I never received what i'd asked for. Instead i received a letter or apology and a cheque for £555 ,the £400 i paid and £155 that i had been overcharged, once they looked into the matter!

I know it doesnt really help you in your current situation, but if you can get the judgment set aside it may be worth throwing something back at them (glide) just to see if they back down.

BTK

Cabot At Court Stage

Barclaycard Settled, Amount Written off :D 12/02/09

Cabot At Court Stage(2nd account)

Skycard Now with Capquest, Threatinging SD

Next No CCA received, in dispute sent. Nothing heard for over a year

HSBC No CCA received, in dispute sent

EGG S.A.R sent 04/02/09

Do you have any paperwork from them that states that the agreement was "unlimited"? If you do then that will help you immensely with the set aside.

I'm fed up to the back teeth with companies that offer an "unlimited" service that is, in fact, very limited indeed.

Hi,

It was a couple of years ago now so not sure.

I will have a look and if i can find i will post up

BTK

Cabot At Court Stage

Barclaycard Settled, Amount Written off :D 12/02/09

Cabot At Court Stage(2nd account)

Skycard Now with Capquest, Threatinging SD

Next No CCA received, in dispute sent. Nothing heard for over a year

HSBC No CCA received, in dispute sent

EGG S.A.R sent 04/02/09

Their advert does not state unlimited now it says payments are worked out on previous usage.

Just 1 fixed price payment per tenant

Based on usage so use less and you'll save more money

All your utilities in one, simple bill

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.