Should solicitors pay this bill?

casey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband was asked by a firm of solicitors to carry out work on behalf of a client. He estimated the cost of the work and this came well within the estimate and he invoiced accordingly. Invoice was sent in March and several statements, reminders sent since but with no response. When phoned they promised to phone back but never did. Eventually my husband did manage to talk to the person who instructed him to do the work and was told that they had not been able to get the money from the client and that he had now moved abroad and they would try to see if they could get the payment!!!!

My husband was instructed by the solicitor and never met or even knew the name and address of the client.

I would have thought it was the solicitor's responsibility for payment.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I would have thought it was the solicitor's responsibility for payment.
They are, they were the ones that instructed and hired him. The onus is on them to make payment and then recoup from their client. He could send them a letter before action threatening legal action against them and also a complaint to the SRA Solicitors Regulation Authority - For solicitors

Thanks for this advice cerberusalert - sorry for delay in responding - it has just been one of those weeks. Will do as you suggest and will let you know what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. After writing to the solicitors we have eventually received a letter saying that they have now managed to obtain payment from their client but we will have to wait until the cheque has cleared before they can issue us a cheque. Still think it is very unfair of them.

Yes, it probably won't be worth pursuing. Certainly won't be doing any more work for them. We have dealt with this firm before with no problems but this is a branch office so may well be worth sending a letter to head office - they may not know about the problem.