• Tweets

• Default Amount £9237.88, all this started in 2006 Admitted debt £9075.65 Weightmans added £1515.01 immediately they became involved, no explanation The Statement shows when Marlin bought debt in May 2011 £10439.25 Their statements, not received until the SAR, are based on this. Cabot deducted £1515.01on their statements in January 2019, again did not find this out until SAR. Weightmans added in  2007 after the CH1 etc was confirmed by the court £741.50, made up of Process server fees, Court Fee (they tried for bankruptcy), Solicitors fee and Land Registry fee. Unspecfied Legal costs were added by Marlin in March 2015, again I did not know this until statements received with SAR I had been paying monthly, without exception until December 2018. I am minded to take the property charge, CH1 amount ,deduct all my payments and the subsequent fees, and request/demand a refund on the final payment made? I consistently disputed Weightmans balances, but they never responded. I also told Mortimer Clarke/Cabot that I disputed their amounts.  
    • Just follow this link and have read of some threads so your familiar with the process https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5178739
    • Sorry,  I'm not familiar with terminology.  Direction questionnaire is what I've seen online as next step. Witness statement: I haven't gone that far, that's why I put the question marks.
    • 2. Is correct disregard 1. You must attend ad per the order 
    • Confirmed with Central Contact Centre that the hearing is 24th, disappointed I can't speak directly with the local county court I have to email the local court apparently is the only way. The agent couldn't explain the discrepancy between the two letters, she sounded very confused. If they were identical letters in wording but only dates were different I would feel ok, slightly worried the wording differs...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclaycard and Halifax Defaults - Please Help!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Let me first start by saying thank god for this website and all the people on here who spend hours if their time helping others. Thank you.

I am in quite a daunting position and not really sure how to deal with it. It all seems so overwhelming to me. I am in admiration of what others have achieved on this website.

I have an issue with 2 different lenders which I will explain as follows:

Barclaycard:

------------

Last Jan 2009 I paid for a company to check the CCA for Barclaycard. It appeared that after a few months Barclaycard were unable to find my CCA, and as such I was advised to suspend payments on the account. I was also advised that Barclaycard should not register anything with CRA's as they have no CCA, and they were written to quite sternly regarding this. However, I noticed that in September 2009 of last year, they registered a default on my credit file. Not a single notice of default or letter was received prior to this, otherwise I would have certainly taken action to avert it.

As an added twist I can say that I never filled out an application form for this account. It was all done over the phone in about 2 mins. I wanted to apply for a new credit card, and Barclaycard said that they had my old details on their system from an old card which I had previously settled and subsequently asked them to close. Anyway, they said they still had my old details on their system and can just send me out a new card without having to go through a new application. I received my new card within a matter of days. Don't know if this is significant or not but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Halifax:

-------

First week of July 2009, I got in touch with Halifax because I was having difficulty keeping up with payments. After going through an income and expenditure they put me on a reduced payment plan with the interest frozen for three months. I thought that this would now avoid me getting a default as it had been agreed by Halifax and they were happy to do this for me for three months after which they would review my situation. All went silent and I didn't receive any letters (which I thought was good news, as I had made an arrangement to pay).

To my shock and horror, just six weeks into the so-called 3 month arrangement to pay I got a call from one of their third party debt collectors saying that I had to make a new arrangement with them. Halifax had defaulted me while I was in the middle of their three month arrangement to pay. I thought the whole point of the arrangement was to avoid getting a default. I did a similr thing with another lender who did not default me, so Halifax had ill-advised me. Not a single warning letter or notice of default had been received, otherwise I would have gone to the end of the earth to stop it happening. They defaulted me without any communication whatsoever.

What to do now?

----------------

Now, I can say I will do absolutely anything to get these 2 defaults removed as it is having a dire effect on my life.

I want to know what are the options here?

Please help me, advise me, let me know all the possible options.

With Barclaycard - they are not in any position to enforce the debt which is quite substantial, so what is the best way to get the default removed? Perhaps an offer to make an arrangement to pay? Or better to go along the lines of no default notice was received?

With Halifax - I am paying a reduced amount to their third party debt collectors, but Halifax say the account is now closed and I have to deal with the third party. Again no recollection of ever having received a default notice.

In both cases, I can confirm the defaults were placed on my credit file by the lenders themselves, and not by the third parties involved.

Please help me.

Val

poss not a default but late payment markers?

sadly there very little you can do about it.

both the FOS and the OFT have gone down on record saying that a 'disagreement' over the enforceability of an agreement, does not stop such reporting, it only prevents them from going to court.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx,

Fair enough dx, they are both definitely defaults, with default dates and amounts.

What about default notices or letters? I didn't received any from either.

And in the case of Halifax I was in the middle of an arrangement which they made with me - I think I read somewhere they cannot register a default with CRAs if you have made an arrangement to pay. I think it's somewhere in the Banking Code. Please correct me if I am wrong though.

Val

Chances are that Mercers would have sent you a default on behalf of Barclaycard. Both of mine were faulty and I am in the process of trying to get BC to remove the defaults.

You would need to do a SAR to BC and enclose £10 postal order, this should then get you a copy of everything they hold about you. I did this and got the copy default notices that way.

Have a read of this, I haven't got anywhere yet though.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/259168-barclaycard-default-removal-possible.html

Ok...

I have done quite a bit of reading and quite honestly its all a bit much for my head.

But it looks like in my case - the best way forward is to check for default notices (which I don't recall receiving) from both of the lenders to see if they are faulty in any way. As I said in my first post I don't recall receiving any default notices from either lender.

Am I on the right track here? Is this the route I should take or is there another option better suited to my case?

Sorry but I am really new to all this and I find it all so overwhelming. I would really appreciate some pointers just to get me going.

Should I request a Subject Access Request right from the start before I do anything else or would it be better to send a letter like the one shown here: How to attempt to remove a Default Notice | LearnMoney.co.uk

I just want to make sure I am doing everything in the right order.

Thank you for all of your help.

Val

dont worry too much about doing things right or wrong, it wont hurt.

SAR might be your last chance.

if you are lucky in getting a copy of the DN's.

trouble is if they are smart, they will know they dont actually have to keep a copy of automated letters.

all they have to do is show one was sent.

now, your cra file might help on this with dates etc

just a side not, have you got 8 on the record?

if so that COULD be that 8 low or no payment markers were placed on your cra file, then it automatically is shown as default.

just a thought.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx,

For Experian, both Halifax and Barclaycard are showing an '8' for the account status, and there are many of these.

For Equifax, both Halifax and Barclaycard are showing late payments in the payment history which go from 1 to 6 and then show a 'D' with no history afterwards.

What is the significance of this? Not sure I understand.

Val

right thats what i am talking about.

it it an automatic default.

all they are [have been] doing is reporting to the cra's that you have not made the correct level of payment or late payment.

after 6 of such the system shows 8 which means default.

thus you wont find a DN from your bank.

unless they latterly issued one.

i had exactly the same with one of my HFC loans.

dx

and they

Okay dx - thanks for your reply.

Even though it is automatic, aren't the lender still not required to send me a notice prior to this happening? It all seems a bit bizarre that it defaults automatically without the lender having to do anything.

So where does that leave me? What options do I have if I don't find a default notice? What did you do in the case of the HFC loan?

Thanks for your help.

Val

no you miss the point

it was NOT the lender that did it, it was the CRA systems.

dx

and they

I see.

So in that case if I wanted to get the defaults removed for whatever reason who would I need to write to? The CRA or the lender?

Lets say for argument sake that the default amounts are inaccurate due to unfair charges, or for whatever reason, if the CRA systems automatically register a default after 6 months then who would I need to write to to have them removed?

Is there any point me going for a SAR? Basically I want to know where do I go from here? Any options still open to me?

Val

Just a passing thought, as I mentioned earlier Barclaycard are unable to enforce the debt due to no CCA. Is it worth approaching them with a proposal to make an arrangement to pay on the grounds that they remove the default?

Is this a realistic approach and has anyone heard of this working? Its quite a substantial sum, so it would be in their interest to have the debt paid.

Val

if a dn was not issued then it cant be invalid

your issue is you stopped paying, they continued to report to the cra's

then after 6 of those it goes to 8, which is an automatic default status.

the only possible way to get this resolved would to wait for it to be sold on

then offer a very low F&F to the DCA close the matter and remove all markers from your CRA and mark it settled.

you could do this whilst its with the OC, but it'll cost alot more and i've not heard it succeeding.

you must have loads of unlawful ffes and p'haps PPI?

might be an idea to do some reclaiming and get the bal down, saves money in the long run.

dx

and they

Ok dx, thanks for that really appreciate it.

Debt Managers took over from Barclaycard but they stopped hassling me a year ago once they realised the debt was un-enforceable. Haven't heard from them since.

Blair, Oliver and Scott are the DCA for Halifax and have put me on a very low monthly payment plan.

When you say:

"the only possible way to get this resolved would to wait for it to be sold on then offer a very low F&F to the DCA close the matter and remove all markers from your CRA and mark it settled."

How would I arrange all the markers to be removed and mark it as settled if it was an automated default? Is this something I would have to get the DCAs to agree to? Indeed would they have the authority?

I just need to get this all clear in my head so I can have a plan of action.

Many thanks again for your help. I can start to see now which options are available to me to persue.

Val

are you aware if either of these have been brought by DCA's or are they just collecting for the OC's?

if a dca HAS brought the debt, then it will be in their name on the cra file.

then they have the power to do what they like.

there is a good success rate with making F&F offers whereby your sole condition is they remove all negative date and mark the account as settled.

there is also success in asking them to remove all trace of the A/C altogether, like it never existed.

the alternative is £1 PCM for the rest of your life, they can take it or leave it.

if they are not prepared to do one orthe other, then your CRA files is shot for 6yrs so i wouldn't bother paying a penny, it would be wasted.

dx

and they

I'm not aware that the DCA's have bought the debt. My credit file only shows Barclaycard and Halifax, and not the actual DCAs. All late markers and the defaults are registered against the original lenders.

Saying that, I have not heard from Barclaycard for a year, nor from their DCA (Debt Managers). It seems they have stopped in their tracks because they can't enforce the debt - I dont think they can sell it on either without a CCA - Don't know if that's good or bad for me (?)

My first task is I will have to find out who owns the debt.

If the debts get sold will all the old late payments and default still show as being for Barclaycard, or will ALL EXISTING references be changed to the new DCA?

Anyway, I feel now I am getting the picture.

Val

typically all the markers & the a/c will be renamed to the new owners [as long as the OC tells the CRA so or the DCA tells the cra - many don't bother on unenforceable debts - as they are only chancing their arm at trying to fleece you and dont want the spot light on them]

as for reclaiming, no matter who owns it, your arrows are fired at the OC

dx

and they

I think Blair, Scott and Oliver who I'm making reduced paymemts for are an in-house DCA for the Halifax, and so I think I should freeze all payments to them in the hope that they will sell it on to an external DCA. It could be risky but then I might be in a much better position to negotiate a F&F settlement if it was an external DCA - and then get my default status changed to Settled.

Val

btw have you cca'ed BOS?

dx

and they

Problem is all this started about 18 months ago in Jan 2009, when I signed up with one of these consumer credit companies who would check for unenforceable agreements. They did it for Barclaycard and for Halifax.

For Barclaycard there was no CCA and they advised me to suspend paymemts (which in retrospect was a big mistake because of the default, although I was also poorly advised they said they would get rid of any default). For Halifax they said to me that the CCA was unenforceable without giving me too much details. The company that was dealing with all of this I cant get in touch with anymore. Its all a bit of a shambles to be honest, and I'm trying to clear up the mess now.

To cut a long story short I haven't CCA'd BOS, although from what I was told, Halifax were able to provide a CCA and it was unenforceable.

Is it worth it to CCA Blair, Oliver and Scott? What would be the aim here?

Val

The problem you have, is if both CCA's are unenforceable there is nothing you can really do. If you take the OC to court you will lose. If they take you to court, you would probably win.

However, not being enforceable, does not make the debt magically disappear. You would need to claim back any default / late charges and any PPI payments, and then try to settle it if you wish to be rid of once and forever.

cca bos letes find out if your gonna open a hornets nest by stopping payments.

what is the halifax debt anyway a loan?

dx

and they

To be perfectly honest I am not looking for the debt to magically disappear.

I want to get rid of the defaults and will do whatever I have to to achieve that.

Even if I have to pay the full balances off I will do it. I need to get those defaults removed.

Both of the debts are credit cards for Halifax and Barclaycard.

Val