Landlord intends to breech contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've recently moved rented accommodation and whilst drafting up the contract me and my house mates got several job's that needed doing to the property added to the contract. Most of these have been done (new bathroom, new kitchen work surface). This work was put in the contract as required to be completed before the end of this month. However one of the items, a new oven has yet to be installed and I have just received a text from the agency saying we would be installing this on the 5th of next month, outside of the time period given in the contract.

We have been chasing them up about the oven all month now and have only heard "it's on order" "should be in next week(12th onwards)" "this weekend defiantly(24-25th)" all these deadlines were missed.

What I want to know is what approach should we take as we've had to put up with a rubbish old unsafe oven/hob since the start of the month(none of the sparkers work).

Should we withhold rent for this month until its fitted? Or maybe involve the council if they miss another deadline?

Or try and get extra furniture for the house as the bed's are also in a horrible condition but we didn't notice when we were looking round the property as it had tenants in. I've been sleeping on a camping mat this month. We've also been trying to get them replaced but there giving us the run around, maybe we should try and get something in writing and forgive them for being late?

Also a side question, do gas safety records have to be displayed in the property? We asked to see it and were told "it's filed away somewhere in the office".

Edited by Veco
paragraphing

Gas safety certificates should be provided to you.

I think your best bet for now is to keep badgering the agent. If you can get the beds sorted out in addition, all well and good. If not, get yourself a new mattress (if you can afford it)! It's not worth arguing about getting a good night's sleep. You can get nice memory foam ones that can be folded up and fit into a car when you move.