graisbeck

Garage problem

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3575 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I bought my used MGTF several weeks ago and within the first week an engine management system light came on so I took the car back to the garage straight away. After checking it on their system, they said it showed a misfire which wasn't serious and knocked the light off and away I went.

About 10 tens after that the same light came on again, but on the way to the garage the light went off by itself, but I still called in at the garage. They said just call back next time it comes on and they would investigate further.

A couple of days passed and yes, the light came back on again but this time the car was spluttering & stalling. When I took it back into the garage they ran their system on it and it showed a Lambda Sensor One fault. They said they would order the part and it should only take a day or two then they'd ring me to arrange bringing the car in and having the part fitted. I waited for 3 days and no phone call so I rang them. They said the part hadn't come in and are re-ordering it and will ring me when it comes in. I waited 1 week and still no phone call, so I rang them again and they replied it still hadn't come in but it will be in any day now!.

I called into the garage after another week of waiting only to be told the part still hadn't come in.

I'm now fed up with being given the runaround is there anything I can do as I daren't use the car for work as I travel 72 miles there and back, so I'm having to use my wifes car?

Gary

Sure it's not a head gasket?????

ask to speak to the manager when you ring again, and if no joy, find out if they are a member of any car association or garage association

look at independant garage association 9 north street rugby warwickshire cv21 2ab, tel; 017885 38305 also how did you pay for the car,

if you used a visa or card, ring your bank to see what cover they give if things go wrong on a purchase, to get your money back, etc.

if you you need to give them the car back, what warranty have you got when you purchased the vehicle, what is it covered for, how long is the warranty for?

hope this helps.

Edited by totiesquoties
word adjustment

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

What model engine wise is it?

Conniff: It's a TF 135 (1.8L) 'K' series engine.

totiesquoties: I'm going back into the garage on Saturday and I'll ask to speak to the Manager then if he's about that is.

Gary

Sure it's not a head gasket?????

I've already thought of that thanks, but the coolant level is fine and theres no signs of any leaks.

Gary

The K series is famous for head gasket failure, worth a compression test even if there are not other signs.

You should visit the garage and drop the car off telling them they have 7 days to sort it or you will take it to the dealer to be sorted and send the bill to them.

Put the same thing in writing and hand that to them at the same time.

If that don't shake them up, then book it into the nearest dealer for sorting and send them a copy of the bill. If they refuse to refund it then you send them another letter giving them 14 to pay or you will issue a summons through the small claims court without further notice.

If you don't want to keep the car, then do the same only say that if it isn't fixed in 7 days you will be rejecting it for a full refund. A rejection must be done in writing if it should get that far.

our garage is a member of a body where you can complain if things go wrong, we only found this on the bottom of the letter, have a look at your paperwork and see if they are a member of any most are, good luck.:cool:

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

The lambda sensors is in stock at a well known MGR parts emporium, and probably aftermarket parts are readily available too.

These sensors have a finite life and can cause the symptoms you describe. Don't immediately condemn the engine as having HGF just because it is a K series.

Ask the garage how they diagnosed the problem

Could also be spark plugs or a faulty ignition coil or the low tension wire that leads to one of the ignition coils.

our garage is a member of a body where you can complain if things go wrong, we only found this on the bottom of the letter, have a look at your paperwork and see if they are a member of any most are, good luck.:cool:

Not the 'Good garage scheme' is it?

A classic mistake is to assume the sensor is at fault when the engine management flags it up. The ECU is simply saying "This sensor is reading something outside what I'd expect".

If the engine is genuinely misfiring, then for every misfire, the exhaust gets a glug of air and unburnt fuel. The lambda sensor reads the oxygen content of the exhaust so will go off the chart suddenly every time there's a miss (loads of oxygen). PERSONALLY I'd start with the obvious and change the spark plugs, check the leads etc, and give the lambda sensor connector a squirt of contact cleaner just in case. Plugs are a doddle on the K-series, which I agree is (in)famous for HG failures, but this usually manifests itself as chicken soup for oil.

In any case, a lambda sensor is about as generic as it gets for car components - every modern car has one and there're only so many different flavours. Check out ebay for examples.

How did you guess lol

totiesquoties

Just to update everyone.. after I continued to hound the garage for another week they rang me and arranged for me to take the car in to have the new lambda sensor fitted. So I did and I watched their every move, making sure they fitted a brand new part. So as far as that's concerned I'm happy again.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Gary