Mis diagnosis by out of hours GP

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3712 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Need advice on the best way forward here!

Will try to keep brief...

26th June - lunchtime... sudden onset of crushing pain in left hand side over ribs and lungs - felt couldn't breathe and pain was coming in waves. Spoke with out of hours service (ThamesDoc), explained circs and made quite clear no pain in left hand arm or centre of chest, therefore not heart attack but crushing pain in lungs and felt as though I had been kicked by a horse. They arranged for me to see out of hours GP at local hospital that afternoon. By the time I'd got there, pain had subsided and I reiterated the symptoms to the GP and also mentioned that I suffer from high BP. She took NO obs and briefly listened to RIGHT side of chest and said I possibly had the onset of shingles (however no rash) or a torn muscle and to take Ibuprofen. Have to say I had never heard of shingles causing a lung pain:cool:

Following Thursday morning I collapse at home on my own in excruciating pain, unable to breathe and managed to call ambulance and taken to A&E. Subsequently discovered after chest xray taken, that I had well established pneumonia and had to spend 16 days in hospital. Doctors who I subsequently saw said I had had it for at least 2 weeks and I was one day away from ICU if I had left it another day:eek:

Now, why didn't the OOH GP send me next door to the A&E for a chest Xray when I went on the Saturday and complained of lung/breathing problems?

All of this occurred a month ago and I have at least another month of antibiotics as the lower part of my lung is still gungy. I am self employed and have so far lost 1 months income which can be proven.

I am very loathe to consult lawyers who will only want their pound of monetary flesh and wonder if a strongly worded letter to the CEO of Thamesdoc would be productive. All I want is for my LOE to be settled and an enquiry into this GP so that she doesn't do this haphazard diagnosis for someother poor soul who may be elderly, or have young children at home.

PS I have absolutely no complaint against the hospital or medical/nursing staff who were absolutely brilliant.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Hi sorry to hear about your problem.

Your first line of complaint should br to your local Primary Care Trust,

list in chronological order all the events exams and treatment,symptoms etc.

Address to the Director marked private and confidential and send RD.

Hi empowered,

this is appalling that you are unwell with unexplained chest pains and don't even get basic observations of temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure done, even with a history of raised blood pressure!! Strange diagnosis of shingles with no spots! I'd love to see the GP's notes on his examination of you out of hours!!!

Sure she wasn't a cleaner just filling in?!!!

Go with advice above and good luck.

Hope your fighting fit now even though out of pocket!

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!