style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3666 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'm currently looking to rent a house via a letting agent. I'm quite surprised at the difference in fees between some agencies. Some are charging about £250, while others as much as £400.

My question is, do potential tenants usually try and negotiate this fee.

Do agents have the flexibility to lower their fee to secure a tenancy?

Thanks

the last time we rented via an agent we had to lay out about £1400 before we got the keys :mad:

That was made up of 1 months rent, a security deposit = to 1 months rent, search fees for the credit check and admin fees.

I think these agents can charge whatever they want, that way, they can pick and choose their tenants.

There is no harm in trying to negotiate, but, you may find that they will not budge on their fees. I have found that those who charge high fees want high earners as tenants resulting in higher profits for them!

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

My own experience has been they charge what they like and pay you when they like. After finding me 2 unsuitable tenants who left with rent arrears and damage I was out of pocket.

I put a house on 2 websites 2 weeks ago and now have 9 viewing booked for next week. There are also websites that do tenant checks for you for less than £50. Also get tenancy agreements free on the internet. Even though you do it yourself you have as much guarantee as using an agent. After the finders fee they will then take 10% of the monthly rent as a management fee for nothing. Another rip off - I now refuse to use them as their is no guarantee as to what type of tenant they will give your property to or the state they leave it in. Yes you can sue the tenant if they leave a forwarding address and you pay all court fees up front - its just a nightmare when you already have other problems.

Some tenants actually think you DONT need their rent money as much as they do so can stay for months without paying anything and then leave you to pay the utility bills as well.

I know not everyone is the same but I have been unluckly so am now going to sell (I think) and pay some debts off.

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried to haggle with the letting agent with their fees but the ball is in their court really. We like the house we've viewed so no choice but to pay their ridiculous fee.

Have managed to reduce the deposit by about £200 so not too bad.

Thanks