Barclays change in policy?

Anderson1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It seems to me that recently there has been a change in policy at Barclays. I have regularly gone over my overdraft over the last few years, largely due to a combination of charges and the resulting loans to pay off debts caused by the charges etc etc. My reclaiming case was (and still is as far as im aware) on hold pending the supreme court judgment.

In May i was over my reserve limit again (which incidentally i was opted into). However this time i received a red letter and was hounded by consumer finance until i set a plan in place. I called them the following month to say that i ws likely to go over my limity again this month to which i was told that they would just put another plan in place.

Follwing month as expected i received another red letter and phone calls from CF again. This time i was told that my overdraft would be taken away. Afetr much protesting they agreed to another plan but i am not allowed to use my bank card or write cheques. I have to go into a branch to withdraw money where they have to call CF before issuing me with cash (a massive inconvenience to me).

Has anyone else experienced similar tactics of late? Obviously since the ridiculous decision of the law lords it seems to be open season on us poor folk.

Hi Anderson and welcome to CAG.

I note that you "opted into" the Reserve Fees system whereas most users tend to opt out and use the old charging system which tends to be cheaper.

Was just wondering what was the logic behind your decision.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Slick - I think s/he means that she was another of Barclay's victims who were automatically opted in and didn't realise the implications until it was too late to 'opt out' because Barclays didn't say that they could actually opt out at any time, with an agreement on repaying the outstanding overdraft!!

:rolleyes:

Anderson - first up - have you got a parachute account into which you can transfer all your income? If not, seriously consider getting one asap.

Cancel all direct debits on the Barclays account and only set up as few as you can get away with on the new account. Do not transfer them over - close the old ones and then start afresh by contacting the companies you have DDs with. Use Standing Orders wherever possible as you are then in control.

Next, if they have not now cancelled the Reserve Usage Fee, go down to the main branch of the bank and insist that they do so and then set up a repayment plan on the existing debt.

If you are experiencing hardship, put that in writing with an Income and Expenditure spreadsheet and that you are requesting they deal with your case sympathetically and that includes holding back on interest and other charges until you can come to an agreed arrangement to repay the outstanding amount.

Hi Phoenix,

Yes, reading the post again, I'm sure you're right and Barclays opted Anderson into the Reserve system.

Anderson, please confirm if you think you may fall into the Hardship category.

If so, you may have a chance of reclaiming some or all of the Reserve Fees during the period of Hardship, or financial difficulty.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi,

Im actually registered here under a different user name with several threads re. my charges case which was/is on hold. Decided to re-register with a different name as was concerned my posts came up if you typed my user name into google.

I became trapped with the reserve fee slick as it initially helped give me a boost of funds with all the charges etc that came out. Then i couldnt risk losing it as i would be effectively £150 worse off the next month. I actually finish paying the majoirty of my debts in December and wouldnt really fall under the hardship rules. My charges case was heard the week that all cases were stayed so just missed out, that was for around £3500. Since when they have probably taken about another £1500 in reserve fees.

When i went into the branch to withdraw cash, the guy said that they had been putting alot of these cautions on accounts recently where you cannot use your bank card, at least until the plan is paid off.

Just wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar treatment. I dont think there has been a month since the charges began where i have stayed within my OD limit over the past few years, yet it is only now (since the Supreme court judgment) that consumer finance are making life (more) difficult.

Hi Anderson,

If you don't come into the Hardship category, you're not going to get the charges back I'm afraid.

So concentrate all your efforts on clearing the debts by December as you say. When you've built yourself enough breathing space on the bank a/c, you can consider Opting Out of the Reserve system.