• Tweets

• I had exactly the same issues.   Grossly over estimated bills from January onwards.  Despite what they claim, they are effectively taking an interest free loan from their customer base to keep the company in business.   They can dress it up how they like.  It’s irrelevant if they reconcile the bills the following month because they just over bill again thus keeping a rolling interest free loan.   it took two months of constant badgering to be finally moved to a fixed DD.   Once that was done I didn’t care how much they over-estimated by.   I had raised a query with the ombudsman over the billing fiasco and they readied a complaint should I wish to proceed.   I thought everything was sorted until May/June whereby I was allegedly more in debt then I was expecting to the tune of an extra months DD.   On querying it, it transpired that even though I was on a fixed monthly DD, because the bill was generated less than 5 days before the DD was due to be taken they didn’t take the DD.   They offered £5 compensation by way of apology but wanted to take two months DD in June.  I told them where to get off.   With appalling customer service,  bills that you need a Maths degree to follow, and I do have one and still struggled, inability to follow through on any agreements, constant gross over-estimation, the missed DD was the final straw and I proceeded with complaint to ombudsman.   Prior to getting to that stage I had to quote Symbio’s own complaints procedure to them to get any sort of response.   Their final offer to me was £25 goodwill and to waive an exit fee. The offer was derisory given the time it had taken to get things sorted and the continuing ineptitude.  Also, the whole thing has dragged on so long (5 months) I was already in the final 49 days of my contract and therefore there were no exit fees to pay and therefore nothing to waive.   Anyway, upshot is, ombudsman found in my favour.  Ordered an apology and a goodwill payment. Symbio appealed but were told the decision stood.   This week I received the goodwill payment.   I promptly left an honest and truthful review on trustpilot.   The next morning I received an email from Symbio with an apology.   This was followed an hour later with an email from trustpilot saying Symbio had replied to the review.  On reading the response they have accused me of not following procedure and of cyber bullying.   The company is a complete joke.
    • why not simply tell you supplier they have the wrong meter number you been paying for usage , and ofcourse you can view this online too so its not as if you'll owe anything you might get a nice surprise and find you are owed a refund.
    • The world of ballroom dancing went online to cope with the pandemic restrictions, but what does the future hold? View the full article
    • I would add, many companies have done everything possible to manage and carry on in difficult Covid19 circumstances to supply customers with what they need.   Continually making excuses for delays is not what I'd want from an installer and maybe the £100 deposit is not so important.   Get this deposit back if you can but, more importantly, find a local installer recommended by family or friends to carry out the works.
    • Hello all,   I hope you can assist me, as I am quite lost and confused at the moment.   Two years ago I moved to my actual flat. Throughout this time I have been with EDF first and now EON. When I moved in, my landlord didn't quite know which one was my meter and I picked the one that I believed was mine (now reading you I know I should have done a burner test..). During this time, I have been paying my bills and submitting the numbers that I believed mine, which actually agreed with my consuming patterns.   Today, all the meters appeared with numbers, but the one next to the one that I was using, which appeared with a different flat number. As you might have guessed, none of them had my flat number. I have just made the test and it looks like that one may be mine.   Now, how should I proceed? I have been paying bills is not like I wanted to avoid paying, but clearly there has been an issue. Could you please advice me on how to proceed?   Lastly, in terms of meter serial number, the one that I was using matches my bill and I guess my neighbor bill. The additional doubt I have is, who is paying for my meter and why are they still providing me with gas if no one is paying the one that seems to be my real meter.   Many thanks!    
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2788 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Guys,

Couldn't find the right section, or best section to put this.

I have a wee question. I live in Scotland, and there is a piece of land at the side of my house owned by the council. I am currently looking into buying this land, but its already taken a few years, and I still don't even have a price.

Anyway, the land is fenced, and it has loads of bushes, tree's etc inside it. I have been calling the council asking them to cut it for ages now, and they have still not done it, they have even suggested that its 1 of the local places that own the land and not them. When I tell them that its the council selling me the land, they play dumb. Anyway, I have now been cutting this back for quite a while, but now its turning into a skip, and people are dumping there crap in it. And its really p1ssing me off.

I heard from someone that if you maintain land for long enough attached to your property, then you can actually claim it as your own? Is this actually true? If not, then I don't want to waste any more time doing it, and will make sure I press them to get it cleaned on a regular basis. Its becoming an eyesore, but I sort of left it to to the above.

Though this may be the best place to find out.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

I don't have a clue but let's see if we can find out

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

What you are talking about is 'adverse posession' but it is a long winded affair as it takes (I believe) 10 years and you have to enclose it within your own boundary and await complaints. (If any).

By far the best way is to what many others do, and put in a Planning Application. Specify the ground, its location and your wish to enclose it within your own property. If a strip, and there's no objection - once permission is granted - your purpose will be to bring it within your curtilage, enclose and maintain the X sq m of common ground as part of your garden. Pay the fee, and if you hear no more - do it.

Edited by buzby
  • Haha 1

You can have it....Carnegie campus in Dunfermline is worth more ;)

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

I heard from someone that if you maintain land for long enough attached to your property, then you can actually claim it as your own? Is this actually true?

No it not true, what it has been confused with is the right of way over the land,which was the old rules, however the right of way/ access was dealt with in an act circa 2001, I sure you remember Anne Gloag (Stagecoach) fighting it big style

If you want to know ownership, Land Registery Edinburgh(main office) or Glasgow (George Square)

better if you go in ,they are extremely helpful, and will produce copies of the title, from around £2.00.......

I've went back to 1820, on one and 1838 in another

What you are talking about is 'adverse posession' but it is a long winded affair as it takes (I believe) 10 years and you have to enclose it within your own boundary and await complaints. (If any).

Disagree , I believe you would not have the right of title to the land.......I had a walled in strip for 30 year and had no title no had I any right to the land

By far the best way is to what many others do, and put in a Planning Application. Specify the ground, its location and your wish to enclose it within your own property. If a strip, and there's no objection - once permission is granted - your purpose will be to bring it within your curtilage, enclose and maintain the X sq m of common ground as part of your garden. Pay the fee, and if you hear no more - do it.
Again I disagree.Planning applications have no relationship to ownership..ie a developer submits an application, he doesn't necessarily own the the land , and remember the drawing and application require you to state ownership of the site and notifiable neighbours......See C1 section in the attachment, all e.planning form are very similar irrespective of council

PlanningApplicationForm.pdf

We're talking about common ground - not an area that is legitimately that of another landowner. Adverse posession is used often under these circumstances.

As for the Planning wrinkle I outlined, I can confirm that this does not address the issue of ownership - but does much to protect the applicant as they have made no secret of their intentions, and as far as my last council trawll found, has a 90% success rate.

Neighbour notification remains a requirement regardless - so I don;t see your point here.

We're talking about common ground

Don't think that has been properly established,has it?

Neighbour notification remains a requirement regardless - so I don;t see your point here.

Point is the empty land ,require a signature,to be submitted to the council

read C1 and note 17....councils are now requiring a signature of the land owner,to the vacant land,most councils are doing it themselves,mainly due to abuse of the system prior to 2005(ie the applicant submits the form ,stating neighbours notified,but didn't bother to do so

to go back to OP

they have even suggested that its 1 of the local places that own the land and not them
the council are being a bit cagey,the councils do have access to regestered owners,via link now,nowtheless it's therefore not common ground

When I tell them that its the council selling me the land, they play dumb.
Quite frankly they won't do anything as purchase would be done via Legal and Protective Service Dept,or what Dept deals with in in your council,and councils won't spend any money on it if it's getting sold, they'll waste money elsewhere,a Good councillor's buffet I suspect,(I digress.......lol)
Anyway, I have now been cutting this back for quite a while, but now its turning into a skip, and people are dumping there crap in it.
Two things here the council are of course happy you're doing the work

Secondly the tipping.....that would be Fly-tipping an offence, ...see council Environment or Waste Dept and voice your concern

Just spokewn with a a distant neighbour who was in a siumilar situation. Hew took the Planning Appllcation approach to enclose an extra strip of land to meet the edge of a pre-existing pathway running across common ground (amenety use). His application was granted, and he enclosed the land by extending his boundary. This was in 2004, and apart from one objection (by a neighbour) the Council Planning agreed to it, and he heard no more.

Planning has no relevance,honest believe me

The main problem lies in the fact that you would have no title to the land nor any right of title,ownership must be certain

However If you had an agreement within the Land Title (in England these are covenants)slightly different in Scotland but for the sake of debate regard as the same,similar to a right of way over the land(common in the case of shared driveways etc).....This would ascertain what you could or couldn't do

to illustrate the problem

You build a house over a section of land that you don't own,

The owner comes along after say 10 years ,What happens?

He tells you to move off the land

or

Charges you rent for the 10 years then tells you to move of the land

Get the title or ownership sorted first,

Of course If you're sure the council are not a load of overpaid numpties,take their word for it.

Whether I believe you on not is irrelevant. Having now checked my local Planning website had discovered 11 such applications for these 'strips' is the last 5 years alone. Adverse posession does exist, and can be expensive when challenged. On common land, there is a different issue, as the largest landowner in any area is invariably the Council.

By lodging a plannig application simply to enclose the land and nothing more, provides a fully traceable means and in an offhand way, gives the council notice of the intention of the neighbour. If they did not raise any issues at this point, makes it very difficult to claim they object or had no notice of the intention of the applicant.

The situation you outline is hardly relevant for the reasons outlined earlier. As for the council being 'numpties' their actions make them legally accountable regardless. I've no axe to grind either way, however as the council are accepting money for such applications assuming that it reflects use of their land, it appears to be a recognised and dare I say an approved method of proceeding to regularise an otherwise unsatisfacory situation.

Go

should have been there

Adverse posession does exist,

Check the current rules with the Land Registry, you need to seek permission to apply for the title to the land,at present the odds are not great

Disagree away. I've you've spent any more than an hour in George Square bemused by the chaotic state of indexing and an inability to find what you want - especially if it doesn;t have a posatcode or defined postal address, your confidence (and money) will be depleted considerably.

Just spokewn with a a distant neighbour who was in a siumilar situation. Hew took the Planning Appllcation approach to enclose an extra strip of land to meet the edge of a pre-existing pathway running across common ground (amenety use). His application was granted, and he enclosed the land by extending his boundary. This was in 2004, and apart from one objection (by a neighbour) the Council Planning agreed to it, and he heard no more.

Hi Buzby, this is probably a strip of land attached to the side of my house, thats probably the same area as my front and back Gardens, including the house in the middle.

All, I would be looking to do would be extend the Garden, until I can purchase it to then then maybe sell the house with planning permission, or even build on it myself at a later date

Regards

Colin

• 1 month later...

sell the house with planning permission, or even build on it myself at a later date

If you try to pursue this you may find a problem,the land could be on a flood plain ,irrespective of who caused the flooding...

value wise without PP it makes no difference.

Sepa (hydrology dept)in EK will advise fully on whether or not it's a flood plain or in the vicinity(although you can check on their web site if it is)of one

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I checked, and the land is not a flood plain. Basically the council had a fence blocking the drains, we got flooded, and after we complained they have moved the fence, and also put in an extra drain. No flooding since then. I just want to use this to try and push forward my case of getting the land from them, with them not cutting the trees, but also from the fact that they blocked the drains initially. And even maybe get it cheaper. Chased them 4 times since my last reply and still heard nothing back

Kind Regards

Colin

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have now been told that they have postcarded my neighbour about us buying this land. I assume this is to see if there are any objections. I am still hoping that they give me some sort of discount due to the flooding we got and the fact that they are not maintaining it, but I don't imagine that they will!