DPA breach by the council?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I asked for information from the local authority under the data protection act and had it handed to me a few days ago. It was quite a thick pile of papers, and now I've had a quick look through it I've found a letter addressed to somebody entirely unrelated asking for income details regarding their partner, and another unrelated photocopy of a woman's debit card (only the front, although the back copy could be hiding in the papers!).

I'm not sure whether it's worth approaching the council over this and who to complain to if I did, but if someone else was given a copy of my bank card I'd be livid.

Any advise?

Ta very much :)

I can confirm that Aberdeen City Council definitely break the DPA. I could see that it's possible for others to do so.

I've reported Aberdeen to the ICO but nothing seems to have been done. I've also advised MP and MSP. Again , no meaningful action leading directly to a sense of helplessness.

I'm trying to get a judicial review accepted by an advocate on the matter (in conjunction with other matters). However this is very expensive and I'm currently (have been for several years) involved in more serious matters.

It would be a start getting the Council's view on the matter. Mine, very proudly admitted their policy of giving out details! However, they refused to give me anything in writing. Sneaky.

Thanks for your reply, Durkin.

I think I'll write to the legal dept and see what they say (expecting the standard reply of "It's an isolated incident, will speak to..., blah blah). Think the council are going to be getting sick of me soon if they're not already :p