• Tweets

• Not sure about the lease read through all the documents i have and couldnt find anything about parking. Contacted the management Office to get a copy sent to me. When i complained to them about the ticket they told me to appeal so they clearly don't care.      and yes it's a gated underground parking area with key fob entry. 
    • The coronavirus pandemic has thrown many countries into recession - but what exactly is it and how could it affect you? View the full article
    • Oh and before bed   Officially leaked statements about a PHE report claiming that a UK study will say there is little evidence of children transmitting Covid.   Leakers stats look impressive until you realise he's on Johnson's SAGE so makes you think - huh - hows that then when all the science I've seen says different, and there are a number of reports of spreads in schools across the world from schools that had opened.   Then, little as the information 'leaked' is, you see   "largest studies in the world on coronavirus in schools" and then "The study was carried out in 100 institutions in the UK and is expected to be published later this year. About 20,000 pupils and teachers in 100 schools across England were tested to monitor the spread of the disease up to the end of the summer term – which runs from April-July in Britain."   Then you click. That averages 200 pupils and staff per 'institution' checked We dont know what these institutions are, but I think over 200 is the average for infants schools. Other schools tend to be FAR larger. Did they test everyone at each institution, or just some ??? we don't know yet - they are choosing not to leak that - Wonder why?   We currently understand that younger children (pre teenage) seem to present few/less symptoms  (statistically) but large increases in teenager covid has been reported as lockdowns ease and they start to meet more.   I know my OH's grandson (mother a nurse) has remained at school in classes one third or less that normal, with the majority of kids having front line worker parents - so well aware of the discipline and hygiene necessary. We know the schools maintain distancing, monitoring and maintenance which would be IMPOSSIBLE in normal class sizes.   So in a lock down situation, with class sizes significantly lower than normal (highly aware front-line workers kids mainly), increased distancing and cleaning made possible by SIGNIFICANTLY smaller class sizes - Has maybe resulted in no great evidence of covid spread perhaps?   Well Whoopy do. Lets ramp the class sizes back up to 30+ and see what happens ..     Lets let the mail lead the way Coronavirus infection rates are rising in ALL age groups under 65, Public Health England data shows with biggest surge in under-fives which 'should be watched very carefully' https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8615423/Coronavirus-infection-rates-rising-age-groups-65-Public-Health-England-data-shows.html     and the ONS stats showing how similar the stats are (a statistically significant  difference can be very little actual difference)   https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19infectionsinthecommunityinengland/july2020     Notes: These statistics refer to infections reported in the community, by which we mean private households. These figures exclude infections reported in hospitals, care homes or other institutional settings.  
    • i understand and agree you should write a formal letter of complaint about the email by royal mail.   i also think you should totally dispute the arrears balance, esp as it goes back so long   send them an sar and add to the text in it that you want statements/bills dating back to the gb energy a/c.
    • When you see the reports coming out that serco was involved from the earliest stages apparently to give expertise   and that resulted in 18 million plus people coming back into the UK untested from hotspots .. and then even the general advice to self isolate after they had travelled across the UK home being withdrawn in the run-up to the lock down   That went well says cummings      
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
FionaMax

Online Gaming site have robbed 11 year old! Help!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3665 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

my 11 year old Grandson has managed to sign up to an online gaming site for over 18s and £30.00 has gone from his bank account.

He has a Visa Electron card with Halifax and, egged on by a 10 year old classmate, entered the details along with their previous address (they moved over 2 and a half years ago). This should have raised questions as the account was opened after they moved.

Halifax have refused to do anything and the gaming site, King.com, have blocked his parents messages and will not refund. The money does not appear to be in the gaming account and we can get no explanation as to where it went or what it was used for. The gaming site is based in Malta so we are not sure who to contact over this.

My Son (his Dad) is beside himself and cannot believe that it is so easy for a child to sign up for something like this with no security checks.

Surely it is illegal to sign up an 11 year old to an over 18s gaming site?

I should add that my Grandson has been properly punished for this.

Have a look at the link and give them a ring, they might be able to help or throw some light on how you go about it.

Gambling Commission - Contact Us

Perhaps he's had a useful lesson? Halifax are correct - the responsibility lies with the cardholder, he legitimately made the purchase on an overseas website, so the Gambling Commission have no interest in non UK outfits - other than perhaps noting the issue for their annual report.

It was his money to spend (or waste) so egged-on or not, the purchase decision was his. Credit Cards are restricted to 18 and over for this very reason. As it is not illegal for anyone over 10 to have a card, the expectation is that their guardians will 'keep an eye', failing this, not permit them to use a debit card (perhaps opting for a pre-pay debit card instead).

• Haha 1

My Son (his Dad) is beside himself and cannot believe that it is so easy for a child to sign up for something like this with no security checks.

Surely it is illegal to sign up an 11 year old to an over 18s gaming site?

I should add that my Grandson has been properly punished for this.

What security checks could they have done ? they were under the inpression they were dealing with an honest trustworthy 18+ year old.

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

A minor can't enter into most types of contract, with some exceptions. I don't think that access to a website, designed for over 18s will be included in this.

On checking the site, it would appear to be a UK based company offering, essentially the chance to win cash for playing games? Is this true?

There might be some sort of age restricted sales violation stuff going, on. Might be an idea to speak with a tame Tradring standards chap (if you can find one) to see if this is a goer.

Are you sure that the £30 was not actually spent on trying these games and did just disappear? Me, I'd check the browser history to see how many pages were visited.

I looked at the site today (I have come across it before with some Adobe Flash development stuff) since I wasn't really aware there was any over-18 stuff to it.

It just seems to be the gold account thing that is 18+ only. In order to "upgrade" my account to it I had to check the "i am over 18" box, and also provide my date of birth on a page after it. Although this only seemed to cost a max of £20, the site adds another £10 bonus to that. I'm by no means an expert, but I always thought even 1 of those checks is legally enough?

No-one is going to thank me for saying this, but this is what happens when children are left with a computer and no supervision. At 10, most children are quite capable of finding their way around the internet and will look at almost anything they shouldn't.

Hopefully the young man will have learned his lesson. The £30 has been gambled away by him, so maybe he now realises that a) gambling rarely pays, b) I have been punished by mum & dad, c) I'm £30 down and now I can't spend that money on something I really want.

I think that ultimately everyone you contact will say the same thing, which is that the responsibility lies with the child/parents and that you will have to put it down to experience.

• Haha 1

Hi fiona

What you could do is contact Consumer Direct, see if they can pass it onto Trading Standards.. Your could of course send them a SAR request, but that would cost £10.

Also you should be able to get a history on the account, there should be some facility to look at transactions.

look at it this way the Company did not decieve your child.your child decieved the company if he had won and withdrew any money then he would of infact obtained money by deception which is a very serious criminal offence. much the same as the DCA'S do when going for debt's that are statute barred.

look at it this way the Company did not decieve your child.your child decieved the company if he had won and withdrew any money then he would of infact obtained money by deception which is a very serious criminal offence. much the same as the DCA'S do when going for debt's that are statute barred.

And the fact the company is in Malta...? Trading Standards would be their usual helpful self here.

What you could do is contact Consumer Direct, see if they can pass it onto Trading Standards.. Your could of course send them a SAR request, but that would cost £10.

Why? At the end of the day, the young man in question knew what he was doing. He had to put in a date of birth to make himself at least 7 years older than he actually is, and he will have had to tick a box to state he was over 18.

As far as I can see, he was not ripped off or conned, and after looking at King.com, if he has paid £30 then he may have credited his account twice, because the only deposit links that I can find are for £10 and £20, I cannot find a £30.

It is a lesson learned. I wonder, if he had won more than £30, would he have withdrawn it back into his bank account and not told his parents at all?

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

In the good old days, you used to be asked if you were 'Over 21' (then later 'Over 18'), and was a tick box. I can remember routinely ticking these without a moments notice, so nothing has really changed. Luckily, I never saw the fun in gambling.

Trading Standards do random checks on retailers to see if kids are sold alcohol underage don't they, so there is a general principle that they should invesigate for many reasons. Maybe this is a common problem for that site. Don't try and argue the unarguable, thats why were rip off Britain, we bury our heads in the sand and it encourages these companies to do as they like, Oh like the banks have done.

Why? At the end of the day, the young man in question knew what he was doing. He had to put in a date of birth to make himself at least 7 years older than he actually is, and he will have had to tick a box to state he was over 18.

As far as I can see, he was not ripped off or conned, and after looking at King.com, if he has paid £30 then he may have credited his account twice, because the only deposit links that I can find are for £10 and £20, I cannot find a £30.

It is a lesson learned. I wonder, if he had won more than £30, would he have withdrawn it back into his bank account and not told his parents at all?

The thing is a retailer has the person in question right in front of them, and can then request proof of age/id if they do not think the person looks more than old enough.

An online business has none of that, all they could do is ask if the person is over 18 and take the answer as the truth. What more would you have them do?

with gambling websites they should do extra checks like other parts of the industry like bookmakers by getting id like passport, driving licence etc to confirm they are 18 or over.

The company is in the wrong for not doing enough checks to confirm that your son was old enough to gamble, take this further because if this had happened in other parts of the industry like bookmakers their would be serious consequences for them.

Unrealistic. Nice idea, but a barrier to commerce. What of Premium Rate phone numbers. Than they guarantee calls are being made with the bill payers permission, or that they are over 18? No of course not. Now this is a Maltese company, so not covered by UK rules.

Guest wino

I thought you had to be 16 to get a debit card?

It has been steadily reduced, I think it is 10 for Barclays. However none of this matters for the Pre-Pay debit cards, which often have no limits anyway (as there is no bank account involved).

looking at the ts and cs. it doesn't appear to be foreign:

Midasplayer.com Limited of 62 Shaftesbury Avenue, London W1D 6LT, a company registered in England under registration number 4534247

OP stated it was a Maltese outfit. In much the same way Paypal is in London, but registered in Luxembourg, it falls under EU not UK law. On that basis, a Maltese presence is not controlled from the UK.

I have a king account.... you deposit money, and then you play games against other users, with the chance to win more than your initial stake.

I don't see how they could have stolen this £30.

Has your son played, and lost, £30 worth of games? This info is available through the site, on the "my account" then "account statement" links

with gambling websites they should do extra checks like other parts of the industry like bookmakers by getting id like passport, driving licence etc to confirm they are 18 or over.

We have an online account with Betfred and they did not ask us for any additional ID!

I have also played on many bingo sites and registered my debit card and again all they ask is that you check a box to confirm you are over 18.

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

OP stated it was a Maltese outfit. In much the same way paypal is in London, but registered in Luxembourg, it falls under EU not UK law. On that basis, a Maltese presence is not controlled from the UK.

Looks like the OP was wrong.

I thought you had to be 16 to get a debit card?

Sadly not these days, Wino.

My son was sent one when he got to 13. They sent letters about it to him before hand, but frankly I was appalled that they considered it a good idea to send these cards out more or less whether you liked it or not. Their argument was that it teaches children responsibility with money from an early age, particularly if mum and dad keep an eye on them. Nothing like passing the buck!

Thankfully my son actually chose to hand the card to me as he was aware of the difficulties his father and I had encountered with debt and he didn't feel ready to be left with a card that meant he could go online and buy just about anything he fancied as long as there was money in his account. Some yougsters probably have emptied their accounts without the knowledge of their parents.