Debenhams assault

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is kind of a vent/rant about debenhams

I was assaulted by a security guard who works for debenhams

i had my phone out i was sending a text and he looked at me walked over and said "do not take my picture" he flipped and he assaulted all caught on cctv.

I went to the manager who is going to review the cctv and take up my complaint.

how do you apply for a copy of the cctv footage at a shopping center and could you sue the company for what took place?

He was in uniform yet this happened just outside of the door of debenhams so technically it was off of the debenhams premises in the shopping center.

when the manager walked down the security guard saw standing there and i was telling the manager what had happened and the security guard got upset and tried to ban me from shopping at debenhams and asked me to leave but the manager soon put the security guard in his place.

I want to make a example of the security guy mainly because if a customer had treated him that way the police would have been called and the person would have been taken to court.

But when its the other way around they think they can get away with it

I have been kicking up a stink about this all day. Two hours down the police station reporting the assault , then the letters i wrote to debenhams and the requests for the cctv footage with the shopping center.

i could understand if i had done something wrong like shoplift or assault the officer but i was just using my phone.

even if i was taking photos "which i was not" it is no cause for a security guard to act that way.

I would think twice shopping at country square in ashford. The staff are snooty in next & debenhams , the security are offensive and why spend good money in there when the designer outlet is down the road and they treat the customers with respect :eek:

I think there may be an issue in getting the cctv footage as it would come under the data protection act. But, if you intend to sue and have a solicitor involved then the sol can request the footage. but, you need to hurry, as i think that they over write the data every 30 days unless specificaly requested to save by the police etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Technically, it does come under the Data Protection Act, but a recent documentary on TV was shown whereby a guy went around shops with a huge sandwich board around him and then asked for the CCTV footage - out of 10 organisations, 1 supplied the requested information. Even at that, it would outwith the requisite time period.

You could try your luck with Legal Aid, but as MM stated, finding someone to take the case on would be problematic.

A debt collector for my sins; I hope any advice I can offer of the industry can help. It might help me sleep at night.

I was pushed over. which is common assault the police told me.

I wanted the cctv footage i requested it and was denied.

on their website they say they will allow people to get such public information

at a charge of £15 which is £5 more then they are legally allowed to charge.

On top of that none of the cctv is registered.

I was told cctv had to be registered in places like shopping centers.

Any injuries?

If a solicitor wont look into it, may be best to see what the police do. There is the criminal injuries compensation authority, but there has to be injuries serious enough to warrant damages of £1000....

only damage done in the 2 years of counseling i went through getting over the last time i was assaulted then this happens on the first day i decided to go back in to town in my own :-(

but no injury

You could claim for emotional distress, but again, finding a lawyer will be the hardest part. Worth a shot, I'd have thought.

A debt collector for my sins; I hope any advice I can offer of the industry can help. It might help me sleep at night.

Legal Aid is available for some people - Eligibility Calculator

However, whether it would be available to you to pursue a claim for tort is questionable. The CAB may be able to advise.

When you say he assaulted you, what did he actually do?

Some good advice there!

Technology does not drive change -- it enables change

• 2 weeks later...

go to the police station to log it get the crime number as you want to press charges send a recorded letter to the manager signed for etc if you get no joy im not sure of the rules for posting the name of store etc on here but how ever if you can or don't want to post the details of the store on here and i'll personally write to them on your behalf if you wish or i'll even phone them to send you the evidence you wish and there is solcitiors who would take it on yes it may be hard to find one how ever if you believe in damages etc fight for those rights and legal aid should be be freely avaliable but no gurantee

I think you were right to report it to the police, and if there is CCTV the police should be able to request it, indeed they often have good relationships with the people who run the CCTVs at many stores.

Possibly this can be called a public order offense? After all, if the guy physically touched you (and you would have to prove it using CCTV) then, security guard or not security guard, he was physically threatening and abusive.

Also, do try and get Debenhams to apologise, and you could push for some compensation too.

I wonder when stores will stop hiring chumps to work their doors. Doesn't seem to deter most shoplifters anyway.

This is just my personal opinion and not legal advice.