style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently received a "Charge for Payment of Money" from the Sheriff's Officers for unpaid Council Tax relating to 2007/2008.

I have phoned them to try to make arrangements to pay up this debt, however I have found that their demands for paying up are completely over the top.

I only owe them £600.00 they have informed me that they are looking for a minimum of £17.50 per week for 2 months then they would be looking to increase this to £250.00 per month.

They are not willing to take into account my present income and expenditure they are just demanding that this is the lowest they will accept, otherwise they will arrest either myself or my wifes wages.

Can they do this or is there anything else that I can do ????

Hello and Welcome,

Yes, they can do this, sometimes your cheaper with the arrestment as they can only take a certain amount according to your income.

There's a list of the sums involved, can't find it just now but will be back on tomorrow, hopefully another Mod, IdaInFife will see this thread before then.

This link should help....................

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dealing-debt-scotland/185249-have-you-received-charge.html

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks for this it just doesn't seem right that they don't need to take into account any current income or expenditure, they don't know your personal financial situation or if you have any other arrangements in place.

One other point can they arrest both my wages and my wifes wages for the one debt ???

Hi,

Yes, I think they can.

Who is it that's dealing with you.

I know what you mean about them taking no notice of your I & E forms.

What you have to remember is these people are not debt collectors, they are Sheriff Officers, who will follow up their threats.

its Walker Love from Glasgow.................I spoke with them the other day and according to them I should be gratefull that they are giving me a chance to pay it up.

The problem is that they arrested my wifes wages 9 months ago for 2009 / 2010 council tax, which is due to be paid in 2 months.

Apparently according to the earnings chart they can take £35.00 per week from my wages if they arrest them. I explained my current situation and offered to pay them at £10.00 per week.

Their offer was for me to pay them £17.50 for 8 weeks then when the current arrestment on my wifes wages was up I should pay them £250.00 per month.

I explained that at present I'm paying £50.00 per week for this years council tax, and I also have weekly ageements for my motrgage, Gas, electricity, 2 credit cards, and an overdraft.......all of which they were not interested in.

I explained I am willing to come to an amicable agreement to pay which was bluntly refused and told that I should manage my money more responsibly and I have a duty to pay them first.

No bargaining at all this is what we want and if you don't agree then tuff !!!

I had the same problems with Sheriff's Officers in Edinburgh :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago they would try to help you, now they seem to be a lot more aggresive regarding Council Tax debts, they would not listen to a word I said.

I ended up getting my local MP involved, they eventually worked out a payment plan for me, if I miss a payment, I'm up the swanny.

See your Credit Cards, are there any charges you could re-claim ?

Thread moved out of the bank charges forum and into the sheriff officers forum to attract more traffic.

They are the lowest I'm afraid. I've had issues with the same company that Maroondevo had issues with, and I had done everything possible to sort it out - they're a shower to deal with.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I have recently received a "Charge for Payment of Money" from the Sheriff's Officers for unpaid Council Tax relating to 2007/2008.

I have phoned them to try to make arrangements to pay up this debt, however I have found that their demands for paying up are completely over the top.

I only owe them £600.00 they have informed me that they are looking for a minimum of £17.50 per week for 2 months then they would be looking to increase this to £250.00 per month.

They are not willing to take into account my present income and expenditure they are just demanding that this is the lowest they will accept, otherwise they will arrest either myself or my wifes wages.

Can they do this or is there anything else that I can do ????

As the law is very different in Scotland you would need to get a message to IdaInFife. She is the expert!!

I'll away and get Ida then..............................

Hiya,

What date is on the charge for payment?

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

If it was deposited for you personally, you have 14 days before they can take further action, such as earnings arrestment.

I had this problem with Scott & Co a few years back. The difference being that they eventually agreed to my reduced payment plan.

The new rules (of April) mean they can take 19% of your earnings. It's paid as you are; i.e. weekly if you're paid weekly, monthly if monthly.

So it can be quite a chunk of your earnings.

What we sometimes were 'trained' to do in BCW Group when I worked there (for my sins) was to reject any offer on the first phone call; accept a slight reduction on the second phone call and then accept the debtor's proposal on the third phone call.

You could give it a go. It's only a few minutes phone call and worth finding out.

If not, you may be better off with the arrestment. But accept their proposal at first for 2 months then call them and ask if they're willing to accept a lower monthly plan. If not - you've bought yourself two months and they will arrest your wages anyway.

The only problem is that you are going to be charged for the cost of the diligence. The costs vary depending on how far you live to their office and if it was a Sheriff Officer or Messenger at Arms who served it to you.

The SO or MAA will have signed the SAC with their occupation, so you can work it out by checking theAct of Sederunt charges for SO/MAA legislation... Or call and ask them.

Good luck.

A debt collector for my sins; I hope any advice I can offer of the industry can help. It might help me sleep at night.