Tesco Vouchers - Eurotunnel – What a con

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Its more about the condition of using the Tesco Vouchers. This is the angle you need to argue from, yes.

I can go on now and book a single from Calais to Folkstone no problem at all, with the vouchers all journeys must originate from Folkstone.

With the Tesco Vouchers I can book a single from Folkstone to Calais but not Calais to Folkstone.

As I say , the fact that I had a price for both trips means I booked two single surely.

You really need a definitive response from Tesco re. a price for both trips, etc... The offer was theirs but they've assumed that everyone will be travelling out from England.

Tescopoly hasn't quite taken over the world just yet, it would seem. ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It says "going out" and "coming back" and both trips are listed and priced separately.

Not being pedantic, but if they were single tickets, surely the one from Calais to Folkstone (if not a return) would state - 'Going out' and not 'Coming back'.

I think possibly that their booking system (even though you booked 2 seperate trips) has interpreted your intentions (as 2 seperate trips) as 1 return trip.

That's the only thing I can think of, as the ticket from Calais says 'Coming back' the person who inspects the tickets has assumed that you are returning and therefore their T and C's allow for what they have done to you.

Both Trips are called "Standard Fare"

Their conditions also seem to imply that if I travel out with them and don't make the return leg I will be charged. What happen if my car is written off or stolen abroard, i'm stung again!!!!

Also if I book a return to France from England, drive to France decide to book a single to come back earlier from France (with Eurotunnel) then get a ferry back to France and come back via my original booking , would that of been cancelled???

Their conditions also seem to imply that if I travel out with them and don't make the return leg I will be charged. What happen if my car is written off or stolen abroard, i'm stung again!!!!

Also if I book a return to France from England, drive to France decide to book a single to come back earlier from France (with Eurotunnel) then get a ferry back to France and come back via my original booking , would that of been cancelled???

If you're going to try and argue this one with Tesco, then you'll need to stay away from hypothetical sutuations and focus on your own....

Then the loss would presumably be reclaimable from your travel insurer...

I just think it needs to be clearer, It doesn't say we will cancel your trip, it does say however,

Failure to complete both the outward and return journeys in respect of a return booking will invalidate your booking and in the event that you complete only one journey in respect of a return booking, you will be liable to pay the difference between the price that you paid for your return booking and the single fare applicable at the time that your journey was made. Eurotunnel reserves the right to obtain from you payment in full for all sums so arising.

How would you interperate that, I offered to pay the £55 which is the difference, it was the fact that they were trying to sting me for 200 Euros that really got me!!!

I think they have interpreted your 2 separate journeys as a return. This is why they have done what they have done I bet.

Our standard fares start from just £53 single, for a car and up to nine passengers.

To get our best standard fare, book early and travel at the quieter times.

You can buy the fare as a single or as two singles to make up a return. You choose the option that suits you best!

Standard Fares

The fact that you have bought 2 singles will have then (as per the above text) made up a return.

I have no idea how you would sort this out to be honest with you. I still agree though it is certainly unfair. If you have ordered 2 singles, then that should not be automatically made as a return.

I guess all you can do is speak to their Customer Service nicely and see if they would perhaps give you a refund or a voucher to make another trip in the future.

That has to be worth a go at least.

I think you're right!!!

I'll post up a letter to see what you guys think.

I really was no better off using the vouchers anyway, I ordered enough vouchers for a single from Calais to Folkstone, when the vouchers came it stated that trip had to originate from Folkstone so I ordered more vouchers to cover the outward trip.

So in total I spent £55 worth of vouchers for a £55 Journey, lost those and ended up paying a further 146.50 euros.

I think I am going to plead ignorence tell the truth and at least try and get the vouchers back!!!

Just do a nice friendly letter acting thick and see if that works.

There is absolutely no point in being aggressive, all that will achieve is getting their backs up and putting you on a 'cannot be arsed to respond nicely' pile.

Good luck.

so your going to plead ignorance and also tell them you were trying to "get around" their T&C's

you stated this very early on in the thread which can only lead me to believe you tried to deceive the company from the moment you booked your ticket.

so your going to plead ignorance and also tell them you were trying to "get around" their T&C's

I think that's a little harsh. Without digging properly around Eurotunnel's website, it wasn't immediately clear what had happened.

To be fair to the OP he/she may have just tried to book 2 singles and they have grouped them together as a return.

You're entitled to your views as is everyone else. A letter doesn't cost anything and if they say no then they say no.

How many people actually read T and C's?

Only after the event of things going wrong do people genuinely read and then understand them. Let it be a lesson to the OP and others that they do need reading and understanding.

Even so I still feel they are unclear, as it is actually mentioned (what I said about the 2 singles trips being classed as a return) on another page of their website, and not the T and C's themselves.

go to the site yourself, make a dummy booking for a single trip one way and then price a return trip. you will be suprised.

The ferries have operated this way for ages the same as airlines.

Return tickets are much cheaper than 2 one way tickets and sometimes even cheaper than a single one way ticket. The OP was trying his luck to get around it. (hence the comment)

lesson learned.

Thanks bazdvd

I was hardly trying to deceive, I was just trying to abide by the terms and conditions sent with the vouchers supplied by Tesco, that all Journeys had to originate from Folkstone.

after all "you are perfectly entitled to book a single from Folkstone to Calais" using the vouchers but not a single from Calais to Folkstone using the vouchers. I did neither, I booked two singles (return haha) it was just I didn't take the 1st leg.

go to the site yourself, make a dummy booking for a single trip one way and then price a return trip. you will be suprised.

The ferries have operated this way for ages the same as airlines.

Return tickets are much cheaper than 2 single tickets and the OP was trying his luck to get around it. (hence the comment)

Don't get me wrong, I am not against your POV I am just counteracting it.

Yes the OP tried to take advantage of the Tesco vouchers, that's what he said, and if truth be known, I would probably have tried a similar method if there was a chance I could get something for free.

Indeed you could for £27.50 worth of Tesco voucers but it stated that on Tesco terms and conditionslink3.gif that all journeys must originate from Folkstone.

To get round this I booked a return journey (using £55 worth of Tesco Vouchers), the first leg from Folkstone to Calais(that I wasn’t going to use) and the second from Calais to Folkstone.

Now in my eyes, I would see no harm in that at all.

1) Tesco's have had his/hers money in shopping

2) Eurotunnel have had £110 of money for a space on a train / ship or whatever travel it was that was never taken. Therefore they got paid for doing sweet FA

Only on looking as we have demonstarted above has it shown how unfair or stupid (to be pedantic) the situation actually is.

Eurotunnel are not in fact any worse off are they? They got paid for doing nothing on one leg of the journey.

It goes down to the T and C's and like I said before the OP should have been given that information initially, and without having to look for it.

He / She may get no where, but it is worth a try, afterall they had the money for the outbound trip anyway. You know as well as I do, they would have found that one person didn't turn up on the outward trip and I bet they then sold that space at the standard rate instead of the advanced rate.

I don't think the OP did anything dishonest, he just misread the situation and the penalties for not making the initial outward trip.

I'm sure it says on the website that all I had to do was pay the difference, where did the 200 Euros come from , thats what I'm so angry about.

That's easy. I understand it as you pay the rate of the standard fare on the day.

I bet your return date was a peak day or similar. When you would try to book the fare online it says, from £53 whereas on the day you returned I bet the fare would have been 255 euros or similar.

It's a bit like Virgin Trains. I can travel from Manchester to London for £17 if I book it a week before, as a single or £50 return (again a week before)

If I buy a ticket on the day, it's £215 return.

It was the lowest fair of the day, 4.15am on a Sunday morning.

Heyho, at least it has stirred up some debate and might warn others not to try the same thing.

My quibbles are the price I would have had to pay to travel having booked the journey early and not canelling it myself.( i think they could of at least charged me £55 )

Not informing me that my booking was cancelled in any way, I could have at last then booked an alternative and it would have been alot cheaper.

Thanks bazdvd

I was hardly trying to deceive, I was just trying to abide by the terms and conditions sent with the vouchers supplied by Tesco, that all Journeys had to originate from Folkstone.

after all "you are perfectly entitled to book a single from Folkstone to Calais" using the vouchers but not a single from Calais to Folkstone using the vouchers. I did neither, I booked two singles (return haha) it was just I didn't take the 1st leg.

As you state yourself you CANNOT use the vouchers to book a single ticket calais to folkestone - therefore you have bought a return ticket

It was the lowest fair of the day, 4.15am on a Sunday morning.

Heyho, at least it has stirred up some debate and might warn others not to try the same thing.

My quibbles are the price I would have had to pay to travel having booked the journey early and not canelling it myself.( i think they could of at least charged me £55 )

Not informing me that my booking was cancelled in any way, I could have at last then booked an alternative and it would have been alot cheaper.

It was VOID not cancelled

I've just read the terms and conditions and there is nothing said, hinted at or assumed that you must make both journeys. Yes it says must originate from Folkstone, (which it did), but it doesn't say anything whatsoever that failure to make the outbound journey cancels the homeward journey.

I think you have been conned and would press hard, even threatening small claims, for a refund.

It's not your fault that your car broke down on the way to Folkstone and you missed the train, though any reason for not using the outbound is of no relevence.

Edited by Conniff

this sort of thing winds me up. It is just plane wrong and part of me is screaming to hammer them to the wall of the damn chunnel.

But, there are a few issues. I think making a case would be risky and would involve trying to forge a new approach.

So, how to do that? I have no idea. We have a contract, that you breached, so they treated this as a repudiation, I think, and cancelled the rest of the contract.

If you can show that the breach on your part was a breach of a warranty of the contract only, rather than a condition, or that the term in question is unfair under the utccr then you might have a fighting chance. If you can do this then, irrespective of your breach then they should have a problem claiming anything from you because there are no losses - even had the contract been properly performed then they would have been no better off. They are profiting from your failure to adhere to a positive obligation in a contract that is not attached to any loss. I think.

At the very least you should get the consideration paid back.

I am sorry if the above is not too clear. Any claim would, I think, be quite technical and probably based on contract and the some argument under the utccr. I think I'd want to see all the ts and cs and the details of the offer before thinking about it further. It is possible that the contract was actually between you and tescos due to the vouchers. I don't do all that points stuff so not sure how it all works.

In any event, I too would feel very cross, so you have my sympathies. I would also be angry enough to sue for the hell of it, knowing that I'd cost them their £55 and much more besides by just causing them to respond to letters/a claim and deal with the court docs.

I suspect that if you did issue, and sought only the £55 they would take a commercial view and settle.

I've just read the terms and conditions and there is nothing said, hinted at or assumed that you must make both journeys. Yes it says must originate from Folkstone, (which it did), but it doesn't say anything whatsoever that failure to make the outbound journey cancels the homeward journey.

I think you have been conned and would press hard, even threatening small claims, for a refund.

It's not your fault that your car broke down on the way to Folkstone and you missed the train, though any reason for not using the outbound is of no relevence.

who said the car broke down? this "return" trip was allways intended to be just a return home. the OP had no intention of a return trip and this is why they they still face these problems.

The OP tried his/her luck and it backfired

The OP tried his/her luck and it backfired

The OP tried to fight a corrupt system. Just because the cowboy outshoots you, doesn't mean they are anything more than a varm't.

Power to the people!