Tesco Vouchers - Eurotunnel – What a con

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5012 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently returned from a trip to Spain.

I booked a ferry crossing from Portsmouth to Santander with Brittany Ferries for the forward journey but was driving back through France on the return journey as it’s quicker and was looking for available crossings for the Channel.

I had noticed that you can book Crossings via the EuroTunnel using Tesco Vouchers so decided to enquire further.

Indeed you could for £27.50 worth of Tesco voucers but it stated that on Tesco Terms and conditions that all journeys must originate from Folkstone.

To get round this I booked a return journey (using £55 worth of Tesco Vouchers), the first leg from Folkstone to Calais(that I wasn’t going to use) and the second from Calais to Folkstone.

Holiday went well, checked email and no word of any problems from Eurotunnel, in fact I even received an email from them stating “Our Priority is You” advertising a flexiticket.

Anyway I arrived at Eurotunnel at 4.15am to check in, the lady at the desk asked for my booking number and then asked me if I had made the forward leg of the journey. I didn’t lie and told her I had to make other arrangements as I was in another part of the country. She then informed me that because I had not taken the original leg of the journey that my return leg had been cancelled and I would have to pay 200 Euros to cross with them.

Bearing in mind I received NO notice of cancellation from Eurotunnel and each leg of the original booking had a face value of £55 I naturally objected. She called a manager but they also stood firm and said no It’s 200 Euros to cross. I said “But I didn’t cancel, if you had informed me I could have booked again and would not have to pay as much. “I’m happy to pay the £55 for the crossing that I booked originally but I’m not paying 200 euros.” “Its 200 euros” she said again, so I asked to turn round and headed to the Ferry port.

In the end it cost me €146.50 on the ferry and I lost £55 worth of Tesco Vouchers which presumably have been paid to EuroTunnel.

I am totally disgusted with the way I have been treated by Eurotunnel and would appreciate some help on draughting a letter of complaint to both Tescos and Eurotunnel to see if there is any way I could reclaim some of the cost.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would you expect easyjet to ring to tell you your flight home from spain had been cancelled if you never checked in and flew out to spain in the first place?

By not turning up for the booking to go from folkstone you in effect cancelled it yourself.

NO cos Easy jet wouldn't cancel your trip back home!! If they did cancel it I'm sure they would at least email you. I bet if I booked a flight from here to Spain and from Spain back to here and drove to Spain the flight back would still be valid!!!

I missed a flight to Newcastle once and had to get up there by alternative means but my flight back was still valid so you have no idea what you are talking about.

With a holiday package firm yes but NOT easyjet..

IMO, if you booked it using the vouchers but didn't take the outbound journey.... the fact that you booked it and used your vouchers to pay for it still stands.... so I see your point. You booked it, so your journey did actually originate from Folkestone (on paper, so to speak).

You could argue this one with Tesco but you'll need to use persuasive language to get your point across. It's worth a shot.... I've complained over similar things in the past when no-one thought I had a hope in Hell....

You need to go to the top of the heap though.... Manager, Customer Services. Get his/her name if you can... send your complaint by rec. delivery and be prepared for a tennis-type argument (back & forth) before you get any sensible justification from them... or a result for yourself.

:)

Exactly!!!

If you booked a return on the train, missed the train and had to get a taxi, you'd at least expect to be able to get the train back.

What I don't understand is Eurotunnel will still get paid by Tesco, the train wasn't even full and I would have paid the £55 (as it was stated on the booking form). I didn't cancel it and I wasn't notified.

Exactly!!!

If you booked a return on the train, missed the train and had to get a taxi, you'd at least expect to be able to get the train back.

What I don't understand is Eurotunnel will still get paid by Tesco, the train wasn't even full and I would have paid the £55 (as it was stated on the booking form). I didn't cancel it and I wasn't notified.

I would argue it. You have nothing to lose by doing so and Tesco will need to provide you with a full explanation of how they've taken your vouchers but not given you what you used the vouchers for (return).... despite the outbound journey being booked.

Don't worry, I intend to.

Also each Journey had a price , it wasn't a return price, it cost £55 to travel out and £55 to travel back and they were listed on teh booking form as separate trips.

That's why I'm annoyed!!!

Don't worry, I intend to.

Also each Journey had a price , it wasn't a return price, it cost £55 to travel out and £55 to travel back and they were listed on teh booking form as separate trips.

That's why I'm annoyed!!!

Hmmm.... your grievance could be with Eurotunnel for their interpretation of how the offer worked, but Tesco is a good place to start. Let us know how you get on....

I knew I was taking a slight chance before I booked it, but checked my email before leaving Spain (afer all they confirmed my booking via email before I left). As there was no cancellation email I assumed the trip was still valid. What got me was the 200 Euros they wanted to charge me!! Imagine if I had turned up with the wife, kids and no money, I would have been stuffed.

T&C's state "ALL journeys MUST originate from Folkstone"

Its simple.

I cant see you getting anywhere with a complaint. The terms are clear and you broke them.

I would understand that as, 'as long as the journey (ie outbound and inbound) started at Folkstone to destination and then return from destination to Folkstone'.

It certainly doesn't say that you must travel from Folkstone initially as in you must complete that stage of the journey, and if not then your journey / travel is cancelled.

I'm glad you are with me on this letsdothis!!! That was my interpretation of it. That why I booked the return, because to use the vouchers in the first place the journey had to originate from Folkstone. If I lived in Folkstone my Journey would have originated from there even if I had taken a plane!!! lol . It's not very clear !!!

I'm glad you are with me on this letsdothis!!! That was my interpretation of it. That why I booked the return, because to use the vouchers in the first place the journey had to originate from Folkstone. If I lived in Folkstone my Journey would have originated from there even if I had taken a plane!!! lol . It's not very clear !!!

Even Stevie Wonder is with you mate.

It should state,

In order to qualify for this offer, you must set off from Folkstone initially. If you fail to turn up / miss or do not take the outward journey from Folkstone, then your outbound and inbound travel tickets would then be cancelled.

All they are stating, is that your original journey (as per the tickets and choice of starting your journey) begins at Folkstone. (I would assume that this means the port of Folkstone where they operate from)

Unless I am totally stupid or am missing something else, you have met that particular term of the contract. The fact that you didn't actually take that part of the journey is irrelevant, as it does not say that you would be penalised for doing so.

Either way, they have had the money for that part of the journey anyway. Whether you took it or not.

In my eyes, I would expect to forfeit that cost of the initial start as you missed it. You certainly should not have had to pay for the return journey home.

NO cos Easy jet wouldn't cancel your trip back home!! If they did cancel it I'm sure they would at least email you. I bet if I booked a flight from here to Spain and from Spain back to here and drove to Spain the flight back would still be valid!!!

I missed a flight to Newcastle once and had to get up there by alternative means but my flight back was still valid so you have no idea what you are talking about.

With a holiday package firm yes but NOT easyjet..

YES they would.

The seat would be re-sold. Its a RETURN journey not 2 singles.

Why was the OP trying to "get round" the T&C's in the first place?

Perhaps because he knew what would happen.

Actually, you say that the Tesco T and C's state that:

Indeed you could for £27.50 worth of Tesco voucers but it stated that on Tesco Terms and conditions that all journeys must originate from Folkstone.

That was what I based my arguements on.

But as I was curious, I just read the Eurotunnel T and C's which I would assume also apply.

1.1 Your booking is only valid for the booked departure date and time and the vehicle type stated.

Failure to complete both the outward and return journeys in respect of a return booking will invalidate your booking and in the event that you complete only one journey in respect of a return booking, you will be liable to pay the difference between the price that you paid for your return booking and the single fare applicable at the time that your journey was made. Eurotunnel reserves the right to obtain from you payment in full for all sums so arising.

All travel must be completed within 1 calendar year of the date of booking.

Ticket terms

So from that you may not get anywhere. :(

I know, I saw that, but the prices were not a return price, they were individually priced. Outward Journey cost £55 and to come back was also £55. If it was a special price of £99 return , yes I would agree but both trips were individually priced.

finally................

It IS a RETURN journey.

Just cos you can pick sailing times and dates it does not mean you booked 2 singles.

Check your confirmation to see what it says and next time you try to pull a fast one do some research first....

Ok.... Tesco stated that all journeys must originate from Folkestone.... so in order to comply with Tesco, an unwanted outward journey was booked so that the return journey could be taken.... and both were paid for with vouchers.

Not taking the outward journey and booking a return trip however, has broken Eurotunnel's t&c's.... which insist that you make both journeys to qualify for a return...

Tesco don't seem to have anticipated this scenario.... but probably will endeavour to make out that their t&c's are quite clear in order to tie in with Eurotunnel's t&c's.

Letter to Tesco then....

:cool:

Its more about the condition of using the Tesco Vouchers.

I can go on now and book a single from Calais to Folkstone no problem at all, with the vouchers all journeys must originate from Folkstone.

With the Tesco Vouchers I can book a single from Folkstone to Calais but not Calais to Folkstone.

As I say , the fact that I had a price for both trips means I booked two single surely.

finally................

It IS a RETURN journey.

Just cos you can pick sailing times and dates it does not mean you booked 2 singles.

Check your confirmation to see what it says and next time you try to pull a fast one do some research first....

Not helpful...

I know, I saw that, but the prices were not a return price, they were individually priced. Outward Journey cost £55 and to come back was also £55. If it was a special price of £99 return , yes I would agree but both trips were individually priced.

If they were two seperate trips, as in the tickets state single and not return, I still believe you have a chance of success.

After all their own terms state 'return booking' - My interpretation of that is that a return booking / ticket would be done at the same time, as in one transaction and at a more attractive price.

If you have 2 seperate transactions as in you have 2 different single tickets, then I think you should be OK and I would still agree with you that you have been wronged.

It all depends what the tickets say I guess as to what they have actually classed the trip as, ie a return booking etc