Were this family wiped out because of their debts?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I read with great sadness this morning, that the tragic deaths of the family in Hampshire, could have been as the result of pressure from the debts the family had incurred in the past. There for the grace of God go I.

If it turns out that pressure from Credit Card companies, Banks, DCA's et al was the root of this tragedy, I hope they all hang their heads in shame. I also hope that the regulatory authorities take note and do something. It will not be the first family that have died because of this, and I'm sure they will not be the last. My thoughts are with the family at this time.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

It does make you wonder what it takes for a person to snap. Apparently , according to the press they had an IVA. This should have given the breathing room, but you never know, and no one will know for sure the impact this had.

I looked at the IVA option when our problems started but decided I wanted to be control all the way. the IVA meant no credit cards or such. That wasn't an option for us, as we went overseas for family reasons and need the credit card for car hire and the like. Sitting back here for 60 months was not even possible. 60 months is a long time to have a restriction on your life and with young children even more so.

My heart goes out to the family members who now have to live with the fall out of this tragedy.

I know of another family where the husband contemplated suicide, thank goodness this did not happen, but what a struggle it was for them. Sadly I don't know what the final outcome has been. Contact has been lost.

I was determined in our case, those who wanted their pound of flesh from us, were not going to get it.

The banks, credit card companies aand DCA's will never take any blame for contributing to this tragedy, it is not in the collective menatlity, as it doesnt impact on them. i only hope Karma knocks on theire front doors.

It is only speculation at the moment, but I would not be at all surprised, having watched Meridian last night it did seem that they had picked up on this quite early, and seem to be wanting to pursue the matter.

I sincerely hope this is not another Beryl Brazier case, if it is, letters will be off to my local MP for sure.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Lets wait and see whose names might be mentioned...absolutely tragic and unnecessary, what morally bankrupt person could do a job like a DCA..:-x

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Lets wait and see whose names might be mentioned...absolutely tragic and unnecessary, what morally bankrupt person could do a job like a DCA..:-x

I don't see it like that, people/companies run up debt, debt is unfortunately a way of life and if not a way of life it's part of most peoples lives and debts do need to be collected, you cannot expect to loan money, not pay it back and then for it just to be cancelled with no more said etc

Debt Collection by it's very definition is not pretty but done correctly it could reasonably be quite painless, but it's more the method of collection that is more than questionable with some of the DCA's out there (many of them mentioned on this forum) who when using their underhanded/irresponsible and sometimes downright dangerous tactics when attempting collection that things can and sometimes do become a problem for an individual/family and when/where the livelihood/home of a person/family is threatened by a DCA using unscupulous/irresponsible methods of communication/collection then inevitably somebody somewhere will do something silly, obviously the situation in Fordingbridge if found to be the case re debts is the extreme but it's not an unheard of extreme regrettable as it is

I suspect that there are many people on this forum myself included that has at some point or another in their lives have stood on the steps of despair when faced with their debt and the some of the collectors of it, I have sailed very close to the wind where my sanity and my person debt have rubbed shoulders with each other.

Having said that, there are many ways of dealing with debt and there are many ways of getting out of it or even giving in to it and I really really do sympathise with a person when they feel like taking their own life over the issue of debt but no person, no father/mother should ever contemplate the taking of their childrens life, collateral damage is one thing but not taking the life of your children/partner...I mean, come on stabbing the children to death? this may draw criticism but it was a cowardly act and debt or no debt and on the issue of murdering his children I will not mourn his passing.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

I have been married several times. The family joke I sent one husband mad. It wasn't the case. he suffered endogenous depession and at that time we went through one of the biggest sharemarket collapses in history. I had a large superannuation pot as did he. he retired from the armed forces so with his nest egg and a substantial share portfolio we had built up over years, we looked to the future. Then it happened, We lost practically everything and were in the process of building a new home. This was not in England; because of his depression he could see no way out, other than take our lives and his life. I wont recount what happened that night, but we all survived, albeit some of us with injuries and the physical scars to prove it. We had no debt at the time, but because of the collapse and other things we lost everything apart from the half finished house. Wr owned the land before starting to build and as our mortgage provider was a government department this was safe, just the werewithall on how to service it and the bridging loan from the bank. Our bank was very good, they converted the bridging loan to a personal loan and when the house was completed the government dept paid out the money owed to the bank, and all we had to service all of this. BUT..the marriage down. I worked on for ten years, to pay for the mortage, and educate my children, the former husband wallowed. Somewhere along the way he then started to respond to treatment and his life brightened. My life went forward in leaps and bounds, my children were grown and I set out for new pastures and a new husband.

i often think back to that night and the months leading up to it. now would the tragedy have happened if there had not been an underlying psychiatric problem? We will never know. My former husband would never have debt, even a mortgage was debt to him and this is how his family looked on things. My family had minimal debt and always the priority was service the debt and then live.

Maybe when the late Mr Hobbit and I faced the ID theft and subsequent fraud, I had previous experience and strength to carry on and fight it.

This family might not have had life experience to call on.. Who knows.

There is no DCA I wont face down and I certainly will never trust a bank again. This family will never be able say this.

My former husband was NOT a coward, he is decorated war hero, he had a psychiatirc illness which was not discovered until after he attmepted to take our lives, trigger by a finanacial disaster and the loss of everything he had worked for since he was 17.

I will not judge this man. I have walked in his wife's shoes and know the despair.

My former husband has told me since, at that time he could not see a future, everyhthing was black and despair.

There are members of this Forum who know me and know my life story.

Use the word Coward with caution.

Yes I'm not surprised either, what I mean is the DCA world is corrupt and rotten to the core (MP?) and their methods of retrieving that debt leads to people doing things they would normally not, 'Beryl Brazier' is one case to prove.

I'm not saying that debt doesn't exist or is a way of life, you don't require to take out credit to be in debt, the council tax is one such debt that you are forced into, water rates, your rent...etc etc etc,

because of his depression he could see no way out, other than take our lives and his life. I wont recount what happened that night, but we all survived, albeit some of us with injuries and the physical scars to prove it.

Words fail me.... such a brave lady to have gone through so much.

My ex was diagnosed with a psychiatric illness..... although not while we were together. While we were together, he thought he was "normal" and justified his own actions towards me. I feel no sympathy for him because the circumstances were v. different to the ones you describe... but life was Hell for a long time.

It's hard to work out whether debt (in your ex's case) causes the illness, or whether the illness causes the inability to cope with outside pressures. In any case, you've come through it.... which is all that matters now.

:)

This is being discussed on another thread, which has turned rather bizarre....anyone know what a 'Clay' is?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/270176-man-kills-his-family.html