• Tweets

• You will be subject to the same laws notice periods and protections as with any length of contract.    From my own and other’s personal experience I would treat it as an amber warning light to start putting out feelers into what’s out there on the market   A 6 month contract is great for people who might be waiting for a new build , or having renovations done on their own property. For someone like yourself who wants security it might well be time for you to consider moving on.
    • Thank you. You still haven't given as much information. We need more. Please will you tell us who the retailer is – are they in UK or elsewhere? What was the item and what is its value? Did you declare the correct value? Or did the retailer declare the correct value? You say you paid by credit card – not a debit card against your bank account? Please read around all the Hermes threads on this forum. There is lots of good information there. In particular understand your rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
    • I am sorry, but without seeing the contract, and knowing what is on it or what effect it has, it is impossible to say.     
    • A16 BYN is the plates that the car was advertised with, and obviously the plate which I checked the mot history with, I also thought the same that the website maybe hadn't been updated with the most recent mot that the dealer had got done, I asked for the original plate number whilst doing the logging in to my bank account, to pay both the dealer and the shiply transporter. Bearing in mind I had told the dealer around 6pm that I would get the deposit sorted out when I put my son to bed, that gave him every opportunity to send me any pre contract details etc. Just over an hour later (son still wasn't in bed) asked for the address of where the vehicle was to be picked up from as I couldn't accept the quote for the transporter without that information. Less than an hour after that he whatsapped me asking if I still want to buy the car because he's getting enquiries from other interested parties and is telling them that he's sold the car to me (no deposit  paid as yet). I then replied a few min later having finally got my son to sleep.    Anyway between me sorting out the details and where to pick the car up from, log into my banking to pay deposits etc he'd  messaged me the original plate no... which I didn't see until after I'd done all the aformentioned.    I decided to check the history on that plate as like yourself I had been confused about the mileage, low and behold there was the most recent mot containing 5 advisories which were never mentioned to me. Another thing I can't really understand is the expiry date of the mot before that either and I did query all of this with the dealer, only to be told that cars in Scotland are renowned for corrosion issues...and that if I had checked the mot history I would have seen them, I explained I had checked the history on the plate in the advert as I had no knowledge of what the original plate numbers were and he told me that the most recent mot was under the plate in the advert. Most certainly the mot certificate he then sent me on whatsapp had the advertised plate on the certificate,  however, it wasn't showing up on the dvla page.    By this stage I was irate with him for several reasons, for not notifying me of the advisories and telling me that he had checked the dvla and the most recent mot was showing up on the advertised plates, I then screenshot the page with the expiry and this car is not mot'd information, and 2 for telling me that cars in Scotland are renowned for corrosion issues!    Had he simply said, the car is 18 years old you're going to expect to have some corrosion at some point, I'd have been a bit more tolerant at that stage. Apon checking the history on the original plates, it transpired it passed the last MOT previous to the most recent one on the same day the advertised plates ran out, I still haven't quite fathomed out what is going on regards to this. However the previous mot showed no corrosion issues and as it hadn't failed on that basis, I would get the panel beater sprayer mentioned in an earlier post to have a look at it, and sort the issues out re that, also the main reason I had the car delivered to my dad's address as that's also the area where the panel beaters business is.  
    • The baker is consulting with its 25,000 staff to minimise cuts by putting people on fewer hours. View the full article
  • Our picks

• Ahmed Alwaheeb's firms sold cars riddled with faults – and which sometimes had government recall notices. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427369-ahmed-alwaheebs-firms-sold-cars-riddled-with-faults-%E2%80%93-and-which-sometimes-had-government-recall-notices/&do=findComment&comment=5071860
      • 3 replies
    • @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 8 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3716 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

I've received a letter today from DG solicitors who my fiance and I have a CCJ with. The letter requests that we complete an attached income questionnaire and return it within 7 days with a view to increasing our payments.

The CCJ was set for £10 each monthly and my fiance has just recently got a job after a long period of unemployment. We have prioritised our debts (sadly this is not the only one) and have decided to pay the ones with interest first as this would be the most cost-efficient way of paying them and would rather increase the payments to these debters instead of DG.

Obviously, there is no interest on our CCJ. This means that whilst we can pay more money to DG we would prefer not to just yet.

Am I right in thinking that DG Solicitors are unable to ask for a review without going through the courts?

What are our options? Can we just ignore this letter and continue paying our £20 a month (we have never missed a payment), or do we have to fill in this form. Where would we stand if they did go through the courts bearing in mind that most of our disposable income will be going towards other debts instead of this one?

Fzzz.

Yes correct, they have to go to the courts to get a redetermination, they can't just request you pay them more...fools..

Besides, they are not legally entitled to this private and confidential information, only a Judge is, and as it appears they would like to act behind the courts back, sounds like they want to cream a little of the top to me (allegedly) It might be worth your while giving the court a ring who issued the CCJ and let them know of this.

It might also be worth, in fact it will be worth informing the SRA about this companies underhand tactics.

Solicitors Regulation Authority - For solicitors

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I should probably clarify what I've written above as I've just realised I typed that I have a CCJ with DG Solicitors which isn't the case, they are acting on behalf of HSBC Ltd. Don't know if this will make any difference or not.

Bazooka, thanks for the advice. I was pretty sure that they couldn't do this but needed some clarification. This isn't the first letter they have sent but I ignored the first one as our circumstances haven't changed.

I am more concerned that now that our circumstances have changed for the better that they will insist upon legal action to change our payments. We will be increasing payments to other debters (as mentioned above) but these are not legally enforced debts so would this give HSBC any room to manoeuvre a better payment plan for themselves at the expense of these other companies if they did take us back to court?

Yes understood.

Regardless of whether your circumstances have changed or not, you still do not have to provide DG with any such information, it has already been decided by a Judge in a court as to the amount you can afford to pay, and as long as you are paying it then thats that.

If your circumstances changed for the worse, then you would still have to go back to court to get a redetermination or a variation to fit your new circumstances, just because they are Sol's does not mean they can circumnavigate the legal system.

What other debts do you have, are these unsecured debts, credit cards, loans?

You can still ask to see proof that these others can legally collect money from you, it's a simple letter telling them to provide the agreement you initially took out for the credit.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

DG are HSBC in-house solicitors.

As has been said, it's for a judge to decide and you would have the opportunity to explain why you don't want/can't pay more than has already been awarded.

Don't worry about things that haven't happened.;)

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for the advice Caro and Bazooka, you are both very helpful!

The debts we have that we pay interest on are a credit card with 27.9% interest. This is only for £600 so should be off within a month, and credit card with approx £4500 on and pay interest of 7.9%. This is currently being underpaid with an unwritten agreement from the credit card company (Lloyds TSB) for £10 a month. This is the one that we want to get rid of ASAP because obviously the agreement is not legally binding and they could revoke it at any time. Also the interest is a stinger.

The CCJ from HSBC is for £18,582.47 which is a huge sum for us and we are obviously paying a drop in the ocean towards it but we don't envision paying that amount forever and would like to increase it.

We also have another CCJ with Howard Cohen and Co the collecting solicitors which we currently pay £10 a month towards which is a debt of £3356. Again, the payments will increase on this as soon as we have paid the first two debts off.

Guest HeftyHippo

The bank had a choice of having a discussion with you about how much you could/would pay them, or to let a judge decide how much you should pay.

They chose the latter. An advantage to them is that getting a CCJ means it can be backed up with sterner action. A disadvantage is that the court sets the amount, and only a court can revise, up or down, that amount. Another is that they can't charge interest

They made their bed, let them lie in it. Your other creditors chose the former route. An advantage to them is that they can charge interest, and that they can vary the amount. The disadvantage is that you could stop paying.

Ask/negotiate with the others for them to stop paying interest. One tactic recommended by some, if the interest is taking a big slice of your payment is to say that its a waste of time paying anything because of the interest, and you would be better off with a CCJ. Faced with that implied threat, many will reduce or stop interest. If you step up the payments though, they will see no reason to stop interest as you obviously can pay.

DG are probably looking at your credit report and can see how much you are paying others eg the accounts with interest and are jealous and want some of it. You cant blame them - you owe the most to them, they arent charging interest, but youre paying more to others. Tough. Thats the downside of having a judge decide how much a CCJ is worth.

DG are not entitled to know anything. Dont enter into correspondence, if they dont like it they can speak to the judge.

How old is the Lloyds CC?

If you are confident you can clear the first debt of £600 easily enough, then I would do so, and you could possibly send Lloyds a CCA request, depending on the age of it, to check they have the correct documentation to be requesting payments.

The Lloyds credit card debt is quite an old one. It's my fiances and I think he has had the card for about 3 years. The £600 has been paid off today and payment should be with the company in 5 days time.

I don't know very much about requesting a CCA, but as I understand it I'd be requesting they prove documentary evidence that my fiance signed and returned a credit agreement to them and that it is also signed by one of their officers. Am I right?

You mentioned that I could do this depending on the age of the agreement. What is the timeframe that we have available to contact them in this case?

Good to hear one of them is all done and dusted.. well done.

A CCA request is to ask them to send you the original agreement, or a copy of, so that you are able to determine whether or not they have done what they are in the business of doing, and completed the agreement properly.

Normally it is advisable to do this if they start acting up and playing silly buggers, so if for instance you have asked them to stop the interest and they refuse to do so, then they should be sent the CCA request, or, if they have agreed to a regular payment of say £10 a week/month, then suddenly pass your account to a DCA without your knowledge, then again a CCA is recommended.

The CCJ debts are your priority so, so long as you continue to make good those payments no further action will be taken.

If Lloyds have been asked to stop interest, and have failed to do so, then a CCA request is the most logical route to go, they will have to provide you with the agreement within 12 working days of them receiving it, or the account can be placed in dispute and payments withheld until such time as they produce one, and an enforceable one at that.

As for the CCJ's, if you wish to increase the amounts to a level you can afford, it is strongly recommended to go back through the courts and do it officially.