National mileage register query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am posting this on behalf of a member of another motoring forum.....

"I have had some probs with my Seat diesel, I have put it up for sale to buy a smart diesel instead and all I been getting in the past week is people coming agreeing a deal then they go do their hpi check and comes back with higher mileage reading from the register above.

Let me tell you, it has a full Seat history with all the mots and only 2 owners has 46k, now but checks are coming back 106k so its putting off all the customers, I can assure you this car has not had 106k and I bought it from seat themselves

I have googled this issue and it appears a few people have had trouble with the national mileage register but its not on, how do I get it off the register? They dont remove anything on there even if you fax all your evidence!

My question is this, WHERE DO THEY GET THAT INFO FROM??!!"

Thanks for any replies to this troubling problem!

P

I know my son received a letter from them after he sold his car last year asking him to inform them of the cars millage when he sold it. As it is voluntary he decided not to bother. They never asked for proof.

its just wrong where do they get it from? how can i out the miles on the register? cant sell the car when people think ive done 100k and im advertising it with 46k they even talking about police but i have done nothing wrong

Guest Mrs Hobbit

How strange, they claim my car is not registered with them.. I bought it briand new, it's sitting on my drive and they want 35 euros for a report. Oh Cartel ie is based in Ireland and is four years old...what a way to make money. Incorrect information on the first check.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

How do we make the public aware of this. My car isn't even listed with them, which makes it even more disconcerting. The people who do use them believe their figures are correct.

Do as you;re doing now. Raise the concerns in motoring forums. Why not also ask them how you can be assured the data you are paying for is accurate? They might bury themselves.....

• 2 months later...
I am posting this on behalf of a member of another motoring forum.....

"I have had some probs with my Seat diesel, I have put it up for sale to buy a smart diesel instead and all I been getting in the past week is people coming agreeing a deal then they go do their hpi check and comes back with higher mileage reading from the register above.

Let me tell you, it has a full Seat history with all the mots and only 2 owners has 46k, now but checks are coming back 106k so its putting off all the customers, I can assure you this car has not had 106k and I bought it from seat themselves

I have googled this issue and it appears a few people have had trouble with the national mileage register but its not on, how do I get it off the register? They dont remove anything on there even if you fax all your evidence!

My question is this, WHERE DO THEY GET THAT INFO FROM??!!"

Thanks for any replies to this troubling problem!

P

I have same issue i have a bmw 330i and have full bmw main dealer service history with all mot and receipts etc,last year on mot milage was 69,768 have mot and a recent service to that date confirming milage,had a hpi check yesterday from a buyer and it said 170,000 for that date it then said "revised"and 70,000 after it,they have updated the issue but the 170,000 remain on there for everyone to see even though it was an error,this put off my purchaser and i dont blame him i wouldnt buy a car i thought was clocked.It is good for the ads tougt when they say 1 IN 12 CARS ARE CLOCKED 2 IN 10 CARS HAVE ACCIDENT DAMAGE.purly because they make it up as they go along.

There's no mystery. Read the link.

As you can see, it is very easy for a typo or transposition to cause problems, but if you provide the correct proof, they'll amend their records.

i think it has been ammended already hence the word revised and milage reduce to 70,000 2 months later however it should be removed not just revised surly

Hi all, Just thought I'd drop in my tuppence worth. We run the Irish National Mileage Register and collect mileage data for similar purposes as HPI (our car history website is called Motorcheck.ie). Our data sources are similar but with one exception. We don't use mileage readings provided by private individuals purchasing a car history check. We felt this was an area that would be open to abuse (false readings being submitted against cars) and wanted to make the data as reliable as possible.

However, we take the view that the national mileage register should be there to facilitate and validate the sale of a legitimate reading as well as uncover any cases of clocking. We realise that mileage data aggregated on a large scale will always contain a small percentage of errors. Whether it's simply human error at the input stage or mistaking a mileage reading for kilometers it can be annoying when a car history check shows up a perfectly legitimate car as having a 'mileage discrepancy'.

Our policy is to remove any offending readings from the database once they can be proven to be false. If the incorrect reading has damaged a sales opportunity we're always happy to speak with a potential purchaser and explain where the incorrect reading came from and how we're rectified it on our database.

At Motorcheck we feel that a good car history check service should protect both buyers and sellers. That's why we're always happy to listen to any customer who has issues with the data we provide.

i do have them and all been verified online from dvla so have stamps in book and car is mint buyer wouldnt have it or believe it,dont help sell the car though when these agencies say DONT BUY IF THERES A DESCREPENCY etc scares people off.

And it remains a fair warning. However, as you can prove the real mileage by way of previous MoT certificates (which is VOSA, not DVLA) this is positive proof of an error. Vehicle service records less so...