carlastc

A&L Charges

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3666 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I paid a cheque into an A&L brabch on 21/07/10 thinking that it would clear by 26th giving me enough funds to cover direct debits due on that day.

For some reason, one of the Direct Debits was called for early on 23/07/10 this was paid by A&L for which they charged me,adding to my overdrawn balance.

I have checked my account today and the cheque still hasn't cleared so I am still overdrawn and presumably will be charged a further £5 per day!

I have already had charges refunded in the past under the hardship rules after contacting the Ombudsman but A&L have told me that any further charges will stand and I cannot dispute them.

They are charlatans of the highest order!

Hi Carlastc,

You should speak to A&L and ask why the cheque you paid in is not yet cleared and available. Allowing for the w/end, I reckon the cheque paid in on 21st July should be initially cleared by 28th or 29th (it could still be returned unpaid by the payers bank later than that although that's another issue).

If it transpires that they have been slow in crediting your a/c, you should seek a refund of any consequential bank charges.

If a DD was called-for early by the payee and this caused you to incur bank charges, it is not the bank's fault and they have the right to charge you fees if they paid the item when you had.

You should approach the payee and confirm the date from which they are entitled to seek payment. If they called for it early, they are responsible for any consequential bank charges and you should seek a refund from the payee after showing them a bank statement to prove the charges were made against you.

So this is not all clear-cut. It could be your bank or the DD's payee that's at fault.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I've just checked their website which states:-

"If you make your initial payment by cheque before 2pm it will be received at our processing centre the next working day. Later payments will be received at our processing centre the following working day. You can draw against it on the sixth Working day after it reaches our processing centre. You will start earning interest on the cheque from the second Working day after it arrives at our processing centre."

The 21st July was a Wednesday so your cheque (if paid in before 2pm) would have been received at the processing centre on the Thursday. This would mean that the cheque would not have cleared until the following Friday(30th).

If you paid it in after 2pm, it will not be cleared until Monday.

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm