Cohen Solicitors - Charging order problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Got a Letter from Cohen Solicitors (probably acting for Cohen) saying you have a Debt of XXXXX which is subject to the Bradford County Court

It says I can pay 1 GBP a month -- but it was a Charging order.

AFAIK until and unless a creditor becomes really aggressive about a charging order it just sits there until you try and sell the house -- and even then any Mortgage on it is payable first.

I haven't paid the 1 GBP a month and am proposing something like this

I was quite prepared to offer some payment on this but you have obviously been too greedy and gone for a Charging Order which as you very well know doesn't pay back any money in any timescale that you guys operate on.

I can either pay you 1 GBP a month for the next 297 years as YOU HAVE AGREED or you can wait till I drop dead in 40 years time or so and you *might* get something.

However I can suggest paying a Final settlement of XXX GBP in which case you get A LOT MORE MONEY than if you go for the 1 GBP a month option.

Suggestions on this

I have a feeling that the 1 GBP a month offer is a poisoned challice especially as these Solicitors work on behalf of CL Finance whose tactics are well known on this forum. That 1 GBP a month is likely to increase without warning and then they think they will be able to do all sorts of Nasties.

Should I sit tight or go for a F&F settlement I'd probably offer them to start with 15% and be prepared for a little haggling.

Cheers

Jimbo

It is possible they are not aware there is a charging order on it. I would copy their letter to the court and state that they are trying to abuse the courts processes in stating you have to pay XX amount which was not part of the charging order agreement.

It will upset them and make the court realise what is going on - charging orders are frowned upon now so you may even have cause to get the charging order set aside....

• Haha 1

Hi there

Thanks

I've got rid of most of my big debts and this is the last one left.

It's less than 5K so eventually manageable and won't go the High Court etc route -- as I'm now working again -- I'm actually quite prepared to pay something as I DID have the money in the first place but due a large period out of work I couldn't pay a whole slew of credit cards etc. Why I ever had more than one CC in the first place I'll never know --older and wiser now.

However if these people are abusing the Court system then I'll look into this.

Thanks again

Jimbo.