bandjo

Redundancy and Ill Health

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3665 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am likely to be made redundant by my employer after 21 years of service. I currently work part time due to having an incurable chronic illness that i have had for 9 years. About 5 years ago I was off sick for 6 months due to severe depression. I work in a senior position. I believe that due to my long term health issues it is highly unlikely that I will be able to find alternative employment. While I do not meet the criteria for ill health retirement directly is my employer obliged to offer ill health retirement on the basis that there is no reasonable prospect of my returning to work post redundancy?

If not what avenues can I explore?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It is sometimes possible to take ill-health retirement if the trustees of the scheme, for example, agree. What type of pension scheme do the company have please? If you're working part-time, I can see that would make it more complicated.

Do you have a copy of your employee handbook and/or written details of the pension scheme handy?

And is there any scheme in place that covers staff for long term illness or disability?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum