act1980

How to handle dead Fiance's debt?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3655 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

Sadly, my dear Fiance passed away last week.

We shared a house togeter so I know that I will be responsible for paying any outstanding debts.

My question is, can I call the CC & loan companies and offer them a settlement or do I have to pay the full outstanding amount?

If I can offer them a settlement, what percentage should I offer?

Many thanks.

Can he be covered by any insurance?

hi act1980,

so sorry to hear of your sad loss.

you are not responsible for other peoples debt, was there any will made?

your debts are yours, if no will dies intestate(without a will)

is there any property involved, contents, etc,?

you would be best if this is the case to seek solicitors advice,

anyone wiritng for monies, if you send them a copy of the death certificate,

some will ask for this, send a copy of the certificate with a letter, you are not responsible for another perons debts, and the certificate copy is proof your fiance is now deceased and ask them to kindly close the account,

or whatever the debt is, and to write back to you and confirm this has been done, i know this from what we had to do.

if you do this yourself it will not cost you, if the solicitors does for you it will, but he still may be worth visiting if property, contents, relatives, etc are involved, saves complications that could arise if you do not, hope this helps.:cool:

if there was a will usually it will says debtors to be paid out of any monies left, etc.

Edited by totiesquoties
extra wording

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

Hi,

Yes, we shared a house together and had life insurance.

If I don't pay it will they chase his next of kin (parents?)

Thanks for your help :)

hi act1980,

so sorry to hear of your sad loss.

you are not responsible for other peoples debt, was there any will made?

your debts are yours, if no will dies intestate(without a will)

is there any property involved, contents, etc,?

you would be best if this is the case to seek solicitors advice,

anyone wiritng for monies, if you send them a copy of the death certificate,

some will ask for this, send a copy of the certificate with a letter, you are not responsible for another perons debts, and the certificate copy is proof your fiance is now deceased and ask them to kindly close the account,

or whatever the debt is, and to write back to you and confirm this has been done, i know this from what we had to do.

if you do this yourself it will not cost you, if the solicitors does for you it will, but he still may be worth visiting if property, contents, relatives, etc are involved, saves complications that could arise if you do not, hope this helps.:cool:

if there was a will usually it will says debtors to be paid out of any monies left, etc.

hi act1980, if there is property, and now life insurance, and then next of kin, etc, you must go to a solicitors with all this, we had where someone died intestate(without a will) which is what i think your situation is?

a lot easier if there was a will, but still go to your solicitors, as there many factors the house, life insurance, other people are not responsible for other peoples debts, so next of kin parents cannot be liable for,

is from what i know, but please do go see your solicitor, best advice i can give you. god bless.

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol: