• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3722 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I received a letter from Capquest last week (which I have since misplaced!!). The letter alleges that I owe them £1000 (its a first letter form Capquest), which I know is fraud as I haven't used that bank aco**** in 5 years (and have been out of the country since).

Should I send thema "proe it letter" or a CCA request?

Also since I have lost the letter, I have no reference number. Is this a problem? I believe tey keep sending letters anyway..... any advice would be greatly appreciated.... thanks in advance

Hi jchull,

It's probably just a fishing (phishing) expedition.

I wouldn't do anything at this stage..just ignore.

If you haven't made any payments or acknowledged the debt in writing for 5 years, it's only a year until it becomes Statute Barred and uncollectable.

I'd just sit tight and see what they send next, play for time, only reply when absolutely necessary.

Let us know what else, if anything, they send, then we'll sort out what/whether to reply,

kind regards,

Elsa x

PLEASE NOTE... I AM MOST SORRY BUT I HAVE VERY LIMITED AVAILABILITY AT THE MOMENT DUE TO EXTREME PRESSURE OF WORK - IF YOU REQUIRE URGENT HELP ON YOUR THREAD AND ARE GETTING NO RESPONSE PLEASE HIT THE TRIANGLE FOR SITE TEAM ASSISTANCE. ELSA XXX

Please check out my BLOG for the quick guide to debt threats - it has all the info & letter template links you need to get started on your journey of TAKING CONTROL. :roll:

All opinions are my own based on research. I am not legally qualified, if in doubt please consult a legal expert.

Hope this has helped or made you smile. Keep your chin up, you're among friends now! Elsa xxx

Please click the *star* of any CAG member who has helped you .

PS: Just noticed it's your first post..welcome to CAG! :)

PLEASE NOTE... I AM MOST SORRY BUT I HAVE VERY LIMITED AVAILABILITY AT THE MOMENT DUE TO EXTREME PRESSURE OF WORK - IF YOU REQUIRE URGENT HELP ON YOUR THREAD AND ARE GETTING NO RESPONSE PLEASE HIT THE TRIANGLE FOR SITE TEAM ASSISTANCE. ELSA XXX

Please check out my BLOG for the quick guide to debt threats - it has all the info & letter template links you need to get started on your journey of TAKING CONTROL. :roll:

All opinions are my own based on research. I am not legally qualified, if in doubt please consult a legal expert.

Hope this has helped or made you smile. Keep your chin up, you're among friends now! Elsa xxx

Thanks very much Elsa.

The letter did say that if I didn't make contact with them by 2nd Aug, they would pass the matter on to their solicitors. Is this something to be worried about? I'm an honest citizen and have always repaid my debt in full... really don't need this....

Hi,

That's just a standard threatogram.

The other thing I should mention is never to discuss this on the phone with them..they will lie and bully in a way they dare not do in writing.

Everything needs to be in writing.

They rely on people being honest and believing their empty threats..its not unusual for people to pay debts they don't owe, simly because they either believe the debt collector or are afraid of the threats.

Even if you are 100% certain you don't owe this debt, it will fall on deaf ears if you just tell them that. The main thing is (despite what they may tell you) that the onus is on THEM to prove you owe a debt, not up to you to prove that you don't. That's the law.

You'll need to go through the process of making them prove it.

This is the template letter..amend to suit and send it (by recorded delivery) once they've contacted you again.

Elsa

If you have a common surname then you will be on a phishing list, and all they do is send out the same letter to hundreds of people with the same surname and initials in the hope of hitting 'a' target, as soon as they get a response from someone, they will not take no for an answer, so sending them anything will, in their tiny minds, lead them to believe that you are the debtor and they will harass you even more.

The best form of correspondence is to ignore them completely, after all, if it is nothing to do with you why would you respond, well thats their way of thinking, in fact it's the only way of their thinking. That and when the next CITV cartoon is on.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It wouldn't be an RBS a/c would it. :rolleyes:

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Mmmm.... must be a slow day at the RBS. :rolleyes:

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

• 2 weeks later...

okay guys, just got another letter, now from HL Legal saying Capquest has passed on the matter to them. I should pay the amount by 15 Aug, or they will take me to court, affecting my credit ratings etc. I haven't ocntacted them as yet, but am now getting seriously worried.

Shall I send them a prove it letter, or a CCA request? Any other suggestions? Please help!

HL Legal is just a desk in the corner of Capquests office. They sometimes like to pretend to be solicitors to try and scare people into contacting them. As this is the first time you have heard from Capquest, then it's likely they don't own the debt and are just collecting on behalf of the bank/OC. Therefore they cannnot start any legal proceedings, as they don't own the account.

I used to get HL Legal and Capquest letters for a month or 2. I just ignored them, and the letters stopped coming.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

HL legal eh from my neck of the woods,

As they have foolishly stated that they will take you to court you should put them back in their little box by sending them a CPR 31.16 request http://www.justice.gov.uk/civil/procrules_fin/contents/parts/part31.htm#IDA3CLTB

That will shut them up.

And make a complaint about them to the OFT/TS via http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact Aswell as the http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/redressscheme.law

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks guys.... very helpful... to clarify, I did get a lettter from Capquest in end July, which I ignored (as advised by this forum). But now this letter from HL Legal has got me thinking I should send them some response at least.... sorry to ask a basic question, but should I send them a prove it letter or a CCA request?

Also, if someone has fraudulently used my account (while I was out of the country), should I go to the police?

I would read 'Transferred' as 'acting for their client' especially if the bank themselves have failed to advise you that it is now being transferred to crapquest.

Yes if you believe there has been any fraudulent activity on your acount you should go to the Police with the evidence, although it is feaseably their own charges they have placed on the account.

Quite possibly now would be a good time to send them the 'No debt acknowleged' letter and let them come up with something.

Whats the "No debt acknowledged" letter? Same as the CCA request? I fouund this on a related consumer forum page:

"

Dear Sir / Madam

Ref:

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company.

I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within section 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (section 77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, Postal Order Serial Number

2. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under section 189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Yours Faithfully

No sorry, this is the one I was referring too;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Just take one step at a time keep copies of all coresspondence send recorded delivery

Do not sign anything print name

Head all letters I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR ANYONE YOU CLAIM TO REPRESENT.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Whoever is chasing you for the money at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

So I sent Capquest the "prove-it" letter last week. They have sent me back a letter ysterday saying "In order to process your commuication further, could you pls provide the following information:" - proof of residence in 2000, copy of passport/driving licence and confirmation I ever lived at a certain address. They sign off saying its not a demand but a request.

Is there another letter I can send them back? Should I send a CCA request? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yes you can send them a letter with one line,

"I request you do your own job"

Or simply send them nothing, which is probably the best option, pointless getting into a game of letter tennis with them.

You do however NEED to mak a formal complaint about them to the OFT/TS via http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

I have never heard of such bad practices, even by cr@pquests standards this beats everything hands down, so they want you to send them all of the information, they should have in the first place before sending out their threatogrammes, ansolutely unbelievable, I can think of a hundred and one offences here, DPA and CPUTR for starters...Make that complaint, and send them nothing, absolute bunch of wasters.

Make a complaint to the CSA using their own complaint form; http://www.csa-uk.com/media/editor/file/complaints%20form-%20word.doc

If that link fails their complaint form can be found on this page; http://www.csa-uk.com/page/codes-and-standards