• Tweets

• No you don't have to pay them.  it is their scam which the Courts know about. There was a classic case a few years ago that decided that £100 was not a penalty because that company had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park clear of cars that overstayed etc because they were there to maximise the availability of car park spaces. As Starbucks was closed in your case, Met have no legitimate interest so their £100 charge IS a penalty. Therefore the case would be thrown out. if they took you to Court and you turned up in Court to defend yourself. So no you shouldn't pay.
    • Thank you as always. Okay, will contact Tesco and will ignore the appeal, and will let you know what happens. You guys are superheroes.
    • A former Tesla engineer is in a decade-long battle with the car company, owned by Elon Musk.View the full article
    • what isn't working out....one very small issue, the rest is going perfectly fine. stop doing your usually running around waving arms and screaming on my god oh my god...sorry too used to you LMM even if you cant hold down a new bank account all is not lost .  ive not seen any reports that monzo refuse people  so go with them. pers as i said id NOT be using any switch service, as there are debts you want to stop paying and get them defaulted BEFORE you ever think of poss might could should pay them. its only a handful of stuff like rent/ctax/ etc that you need DD for ive not used DD's in almost 30yrs now nor use Standing orders, i do it by BACS each month priority bills first (can take roof from over my head if not paid) there REST all get paid if/when i've had the money. 2 well 3 things id dump too or get cheaper. cable/sat tv - ££6PCM . which i will is internet/tv/landline ? from whom that is very expensive. mine is £27PCM for 100MPS Broadband etc all in. 3 tv licence... who cant tell you are watching live tv even if you dont.... mobile phone £27? - go over to giffgaff no contract and as cheap as £6PCM even with mobile data (but use your home wf-fi when indoors!!) no need to keep using @Username, everyone that posted gets an alert like you do if someone posts. dx  
    • Critall windows date back to the 1880s but their steel construction makes them vulnerable to damp.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help - Connaught issued Statutory Demand yesterday!...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello people,

Have read through this forum for a while now due to high debts and harassing DCAs and see a few people have some helpful experiences/knowledge.

Background:

I am in debt around £80K across 16 creditors for various reasons but mostly due to a fire in my garage where I lost a lot of business stock and had turned it into a room I was going to run a future business from. Could not continue with the plans to open the business or continue another business I had so have been struggling since 2006.

With the aid of the CCCS I managed to get most DCAs to accept token payments and said I would be willing to put the house up for sale when sufficient equity existed to make suitable offers of settlement to all my creditors. However, the credit crunch hit and, at best as I recently discovered, I now have maybe £10-15K equity at most thanks to the low value sale of a similar neighbouring house that was extended and in better condition than mine. Most have accepted the arrangement but I have always been ‘harassed’ by Connaught threatening legal action.

I managed to buy time by saying I’d consider putting the house up for sale at the end of July and for them to agree to £5 pcm token payments until then. This was before I had an estate agent come around where they told me the sale price of the neighbours house and that a surveyor would not possibly value mine higher because of defects and buyers wouldn’t make higher offers anyway.

Anyway, I was told by a relative that they are due to receive a sum of money around November time and that they would give around £40K to help my situation. I told Connaught this and they wanted conclusive proof. However, the relative did not want their name/involvement mentioned in any way as they are also in trouble to DCAs themselves so I could not provide any. I told Connaught this (in writing) and offered to up payments to £100pcm until November and said I would review the option of selling the house again should I not receive this money (as the equity situation may have improved slightly by then anyway). They refused and said they would be issuing a Stat Demand.

The Statutory Demand was hand delivered yesterday and I am now in a bit of a panic as I don’t have the £9000 or so that Connaught are demanding. The debt was originally from a Halifax Visa Credit Card. This is extremely upsetting and is straining the family so I need help.

I called a relative and he told me about a firm that he had just found out about, registered with the Ministry of Justice, that specifically deals in cancelling unenforceable credit agreements made prior to 2007 and has offered to pay for me to challenge the enforceability of the whole debt as it was likely I only signed an application form and not a true CCA those many years ago. Apparently, this firm has had a 95%+ success rate in having unenforceable debts reduced/cancelled for many cards applied for prior to 2007.

I am due to receive a contract engaging the services of this firm and sign authorisation for them to request documents from Halifax.

What I need to do is to have this SD set aside or delayed until the outcome of that as I may have a legitimate case for an unenforceable debt.

I am wondering if any of you good people or legal experts could help me out on where I can get the appropriate form to have the SD set aside and how should I word it given I need time to contest the debt? Do I have reasonable grounds to get the SD set aside or at least delayed? Is there any other way I can delay this or get it set aside if employing a firm to dispute the legalities is not enough?

Please, please, if someone can help me at least delay this it would give me at least some breathing space as I will probably have some money post November to give. Bankruptcy is likely to destroy my family which is why I’m trying drastically to avoid it.

Another question: does the 18 days to have it set aside start from the date they state on the demand (20/07/2010) or the date it is physically delivered?

Sorry for the lengthiness of this but I thought it best to provide as much info as possible.

I’m happy to also provide the name of the firm that claim to cancel/reduce unenforceable debts. My relative who is paying them to help me out is also having them try to reduce/cancel his credit too even though he is not in trouble with DCAs so this might be helpful to others who are desperate.

Edited by kekeeler
Incorrect title

Don't bother with firms that claim to cancel/reduce credit agreements. They cannot actually cancel them. The OFT has been stamping down on a lot of them, because they're misleading people. I know they charge a lot when you reallise all they do is send out a couple of letters and charge hundreds of pounds for it. You can do all that yourself quite easily for £1 using info and the CCA request letter template from the forum library on CAG.

It's not too tricky to get a SD setaside. There's a fair few recent threads if you have a search for them, where people have got a setaside and also claimed costs for it.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

The firm offers a refund if they are unable to obtain any reduction/cancellation. And by the sounds of it they have had a lot of success which is why my relative took an interest in them and, believe me, he is more skeptical about these sorts of things than most.

I have checked and they are registered with the Ministry of Justice and are legitimately registered via the http://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk.

I'm not paying for this service personally but it may be a justification to that the debt enforceability is in dispute.

Would me sending a CCA request also be useful anyway?

Edited by kekeeler

To be blunt, going to these companies is, in my opinion a total and absolute waste of money, in part some are no better than the debt collection agencies themselves, what ever they say.

All you need to do is this:

Send them a CCA request to see if they are entitled to collect this debt & if it's enforcable. If they fail to provide it within 12+2 days or the CCA is unenforcable you can legally withold any payment until they do. Send it recorded delivery enclosing a £1 postal order. When you get a reply, scan it & remove any identifying details and post it back here where we can have a look at it. We'll advise you from there;

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account No: XXXXXXXX/Your Reference Number: XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Tradinglink3.gif Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

If you intend to send a reconstituted copy of the CCA you must declare the reason why it has been reconstituted and if the original exists and in what form (microfiche) etc

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

(Optional)

You should also note that I will only discuss this matter in writing and should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you or any of your associates.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance. (Optional)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully **Edit to suit**

Print name do not signlink3.gif

The above is the letter that any company you pay will send and it will cost you considerably more than £1!!.

If you were to send the above today, the 12 + 2 days will fall within the 18 days you are allowed to respond to the SD.

Once you have done that, below are link to the forms required to set aside the SD:

Forms for Setting Aside Statutory Demands:

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/forms/6-5.pdf

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/forms/6-4.pdf

Downloading and completing them will cost you nothing, which is alot less than you would pay a company to do exactly that!!

If you do this today, you will have saved yourself probably a couple of hundred pounds already.

No one can give any further advice, including paid for services until the above letter is responded to.

The day it is delivered, I believe it is 2 working days for first class post, and 4 for Second Class.

However, wherever possible they should attempt personal service of a SD, so as yours was hand delivered the 18 days start then.

Posted this letter today. Thanks for the assist thus far....

I would now suggest that you make a start on the response to the SD.

Your reasons will have to be left blank for now, as we have to wait for either the 12+2 days to pass, or their response to your letter. As soon as you hear anything more, or need help with the forms let know.

I need to wait and see what the response is before coming up with an answer. Connaught are a bunch of lowlifes who love threats and may say/do anything or completely ignore what you say.

It has been ruining my health for months now worrying about these idiots as I generally have amicable relations with most other DCAs/Creditors who accept I can't pay more and take what I can give....

I am in no doubt I will be asking for more help shortly. Thanks for the help so far...

Received an interesting response from Connaught today. They claim they only received my CCA request (as sent according to helpful advice and a template) from people here.

I know the CCA request arrived 25th July (not 27th) because of a recorded delivery slip. Does the 12+2 days for their response begin from my date or their acknowledged receipt date?

I know this is a delaying tactic on their part because they can't supply the CCA right now.

Since they will have breached their requirement by next Wednesday does this mean I should write to them and say they are in breach (next week) or simply go ahead and have the SD set aside?

If I should go ahead can I get some assistance on what to put on the set aside and what I need to do. Bearing in mind that this SD was presented in person and not by post as I note that most set aside documents refer to posted SDs...

Any help appreciated asap so I can get onto this quickly....

I would now suggest that you make a start on the response to the SD.

Your reasons will have to be left blank for now, as we have to wait for either the 12+2 days to pass, or their response to your letter. As soon as you hear anything more, or need help with the forms let know.

Received an interesting response from Connaught today. They claim they only received my CCA request (as sent according to helpful advice and a template) from people here.

I know the CCA request arrived 25th July (not 27th) because of a recorded delivery slip. Does the 12+2 days for their response begin from my date or their acknowledged receipt date?

I know this is a delaying tactic on their part because they can't supply the CCA right now.

Since they will have breached their requirement by next Wednesday does this mean I should write to them and say they are in breach (next week) or simply go ahead and have the SD set asidelink3.gif?

If I should go ahead can I get some assistance on what to put on the set asidelink3.gif and what I need to do. Bearing in mind that this SD was presented in person and not by post as I note that most set asidelink3.gif documents refer to posted SDs...

Any help appreciated asap so I can get onto this quickly....

user_online.gifreputation.gif report.gif digg.gifdelicious.giftechnorati.giffurl.gif

quote.gif

Connaught CCA request reply - 03 Aug 2010 edited 001.jpg