SAR request advice

marksmiles

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently sent off an SAR and cheque to an international airline.

The airline immediately wrote back with a lengthy form insisting that this is completed before they reply. Are they permitted to do this?

I didn't write to them with an ambition to be obligated to complete a lengthy form of their construction. I am concerned that I don't want any answers which I disclose in such a form to offer a convenient restriction to them in what they may decide to give me back.

I am concerned that this may be a stalling tactic and that if I don't complete their form they will be able to use this as a shield from having failed to process a SAR.

I do understand that they may have to deal with a high volume of passengers and that a SAR might involve them in considerable work, and that they would wish to narrow down the possibilities.

Under the DPA 1998 and holder of data has to ensure that they are sending your data to you and no-one else.

As I see it, all you have to do is prove who you are with a copy of a passport/driving licence. Any further info is just intrusive but as they are holding your data, they hold the cards at the mo.

I would give them minimum proof of who you are and if they refuse, go to the Information Commissioner.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks SF,

Your comments most useful.

The style of the questionnaire focusses on

clarification of the search areas.''

At the end of the form it asks

"are there any areas not listed in our form where you believe we hold data on you . . ."

and my concern is that, in the event of any reply, any areas I might fail to list on their form will constitute a later defence for the company if they fail to comply with all data they have. ( What I mean here is that they might say they tried hard / best endeavours but as I had failed to list an 'area' it was my fault for not listing it, not their fault ).