style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3672 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, here's the story -

I live in a sublet house with lots of other people. It's informal to say the least, as I understand it the live-out landlord - who I know - rents from someone else, probably the owner, and sublets. Got back from work today and there was a Removal Letter from rossendales re council tax, the debtors/ addressee were people who don't live here. I called the landlord, he said it was people who used to live here and whose names were on the bill and the council should've been notified by now, but something is clearly amiss. He has said he will sort it but I'm still concerned.

So, do I call the number on the letter and explain? Do I contact the council? I'm not keen to divulge too much info to them as the subletting thing may not be wholly kosher but I'm not keen on coming back from work and my stuff's gone either. I know I can theoretically get it back if it's not the debtor's stuff but that's hardly ideal.

I can't find any old letters for the addressees but ex-tenants do come and collect mail from time to time.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Steve

Inform the council that the do not live there and take advice from there, they may tell you to call the bailiff company. You really need to tell one or the other or you just my find your stuff has either been levied on or its been taken, however they have to gain peaceful entry first.

All the bailiff will do is ask for some ID to confirm his debtor does not live there and he will leave.

The bailiff will return the case back to the council as a gone-away. The council will do a CitizenView lookup and re-instruct the bailiff to the debtors current address.

Professional property investor and conveyancer

Thankyou for your replies. The landlord tells me he will bring a proper contract round tonight and (assuming he does, he's not always 100% reliable!) I will try and ascertain whose name is now registered on the CT, but if I'm not reassured I'll contact the council.

As regarding peaceful entry, I seem to be the only one here who grasps the need to keep the place secure, share with a clueless bunch. I move around a few different places with work and don't get paid travel or lodging and experience has taught me to avoid fixed terms and though I do have a permanent Electoral address I do need places where I can stay without too much commitment and this often means places where the paperwork isn't always 'up to date'.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

I would be very careful signing anything in your situation as this could/will make you fully responsible for future council tax for the property and perhaps backdated to the date you moved in

should be multi-occupancy and the landlord pays

should be multi-occupancy and the landlord pays

thats what i thought but wasnt to sure

Thanks again for further replies. I'd read in other threads here about the risk of the council sticking the council tax on whoever 'confesses' to living somewhere. Anyway the contract hasn't appeared and there's a lot of vagueness about whose name is currently on the bill. I'm gonna call either council or bailiffs tomorrow. I really wouldn't be so concerned if I knew I could trust my housemates not to leave them legal access while I'm at work. Their approach to security in general is lax, I'd already considered finding somewhere else owing to this, seems an even better idea now!

multi occupancy only applies if there is one bathroom facility shared between x amount of bedsits. eg 4 rooms 1 bathroom. then the landlord has to pay.

if its shared accomodation but its a house then everyone is responsible for the rates along with the other bills.

it is not advisable to pay a landlord "all inclusive" because if he lets the council know you are there, they will chase the occupiers for the taxation not the landlord should he not pay, and of course if its not in your tenancy agreement and you just assume, it could prove to be an expensive mistake.

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

my bad :)

A house in multiple occupation (HIMO) is

a house or flat that was originally built, or

has been changed for living in by one or

more people who are not part of the same

household. One example of a change is

where the rooms have individual locks on

the doors. Examples of HIMO’s include

bedsits, homes shared by people who are

not related to each other, halls of residence

and hostels.

And thanks again.

I realise this has strayed from the forum title topic but it's all useful and relevant, given that CT is a very common debt to get chased - and much appreciated. I'm pretty sure that my place fits the HIMO description, except that with it being pretty much 'off the books' it's unlikely to get classified at all. I don't mind that really but I do feel the landlord should take more of a role in sorting the current problem but maybe that comes with the territory of a casual arrangement. I'm pretty certain I'm going to move anyway but it's still good to be clued up and to know there are people on here willing to help :-)