edf overcharged me by £1400.00

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a gas bill last week that showed i was £1416.20 in CREDIT. I thought this must have been a mistake and rang EDF. On checking the lady said that a new meter had been insalled in 2006, just before I moved into my house. Edf have worked out that they were reading the meter incorrectly. Since moving in, i couldn't work out why i was paying so much for gas, i rang EDf a couple of times and they said i was using the average amount. At one point i owed them over £600.00. This put me under so much stress that i extended my personnal loan to cover it. I was also paying 2-3 times what i should be paying on some months to try and stay in credit. With the refund, i am able to clear 2 credit cards and 2 over drafts, this leads me to believe that had edf not over charged me, i would probably not got into debt with either, so they have had interest of my money, i have incurred interest on cards and bank accounts plus the additional monthly payment of my loan and the additional interest. I'm not great with numbers but i probably adds up to a few hundred pound. Any ideas on what i can do would be a great help. Thanks,

Unfortunately I can't offer advice, only to say my dad is in the exact same situation.

He moved to Scottish Hydro from Scottish Power in May 2006, and yesterday we found out that he had overpaid £1400 also. Looks like transposed readings inherited from Scot Power (we're on to them too). No offer of compensation, but to be honest we're just glad to get the cash back

I,m no expect in this field but i would start with a letter of complaint stating exactly as you have written here. As they have been forthcoming with a refund they may listen to your claim for compensation. Tell them also that you will take this further if need be.

See what comes back and if this doesn't work i will try and help guide you through the next stage . This will involve sending off for a SAR to get all your account details. When you have this we can use the the figures and put them into the interest calculators (in the ppi section) to work out what interest you are owed. I would say at least 8% for going without your hard earned cash over the years, plus interest on top of this to cover what you paid on your loan.

Good luck with this!

LDG

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU AT ALL PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TIP MY SCALES.

NATWEST PPI SUCCESS £490 25/08/09

NATWEST PPI 2nd CLAIM WON £1135 02/10/09

A & L PPI £395 WON

CREATION CLAIM PARTIAL REFUND £1825 01/04/10 NOW OFF TO FOS FOR THE REST

BARCLAYCARD STILL PENDING

LITTLEWOODS DCA . DEBT WIPED OUT AND CREDIT FILE UPDATED 23/09/09

Oh and it may also pay to put this topic in the general debt section, in case someone there can give more advice

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU AT ALL PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TIP MY SCALES.

NATWEST PPI SUCCESS £490 25/08/09

NATWEST PPI 2nd CLAIM WON £1135 02/10/09

A & L PPI £395 WON

CREATION CLAIM PARTIAL REFUND £1825 01/04/10 NOW OFF TO FOS FOR THE REST

BARCLAYCARD STILL PENDING

LITTLEWOODS DCA . DEBT WIPED OUT AND CREDIT FILE UPDATED 23/09/09

My email to EDF

I have recently had a bill showing that i was over £1400 in credit. I rang EDF and checked to ensure that this was correct, it was checked and apparently i have been over paying since i moved into my house in july 2006. The meter had been changed and EDF were reading the meter the wrong way. I have stuggled to make the gas payments over the years, I had rang EDF to advise that i thought i was using alot more than my neighbours but was told it was all fine. At one point i owed so much on the account that i was making myself ill worrying about it. As well as paying several times more that i needed to for some months, I also i extended my personnal loan to cover a large bill rather than carrying on making myself ill. I'm really unhappy about the situation i was put in and believe I'm entitled to compansation. I have posted to several consumer websites and checked with a tutor of law where I work and i had the same advice from all.

I am fully entitled to compensation and this should also take into account the emotional stress that you put myself and family through, the interest you have had of my money, The additional monthly payment and interest from my loan. The loss of money and any interest I would have gained if i'd had the money. With the £1400 that i have now recieved back, i have cleared 2 credit cards, 3 overdrafts and brought my childrens new bikes. I have to believe that had you not over charged me, these cards and overdrafts would not have been required and a such i would not have paid interest on any of the cards/overdrafts as i would not have needed them.

I'm am quite happy to take this to the financial ombudsman if I'm not happy with your reply or offer within the following 8 weeks.

MY Reply from EDF

Thank you for your e-mail dated 29 July 2010, and I apologise for the delay in replying.

First, let me take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience or upset that this situation may have caused you. It is EDF Energy's aim to provide our customers' with clear and accurate bills, and I am disappointed to see that this has not happened in your case.

Given the nature of your particular complaint, and the considerable period of time that this problem has been ongoing, it is difficult to ascertain just how much compensation you should be offered.

If the situation had been reversed, and we had under billed a customer for such a long period of time, we would offer compensation of a reduction of up to 20% of the account balance. If we apply this to your case, and offer compensation of 20% of your credit balance, it would mean adding a further credit amount of £300.00 to your account. This could then be refunded immediately.

If this amount is acceptable, please respond to this e-mail as soon as possible so that it can be actioned.

As part of our complaints procedure, I have raised your complaint on our official complaints system, reference 884775. I have also requested that a guide to our complaints code of practice leaflet be sent out to you in the post, which should arrive within the next few working days.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

I have a feeling that they could have been pushed to offer more, but i have accepted this amount. The time taken to sit down and work out exactly what it has cost me would not cover the additional comp i could claim for.