Welcome Finance refusing to pay for faulty car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello..Hoping I can get a bit of advice!

My boyfriend got an HP/Credit Agreement (not sure which) with Welcome last year, the car was a 2005 Astra.

Back in December the car began making a loud whining sound from the engine..it was booked in at a local garage for the next day..the garage had to replace the rocker box cover in the engine and we were told that this would fix the problem..it did..until Feburary when the car started to lose power..badly..it wouldnt even go above 30mph! The car was taken into the garage the same day and we were told that one of the pistons in the engine had broken up (the car hasnt even done 50,000 miles) When he took out the agreement he also took out a warrenty with Welcome, we checked and it said that engine problems were covered so had to arrange for an engineer to come out and look at the car..this resulted in us being told that the car had been driven excessively in this state (although it couldnt go above 30!) and that it would not be covered under the warrenty..the garage have quoted nearly two thousand pounds to repair the car which we cant afford..the car had been in the garage untouched since Feb and my boyfriend has had to buy a cheap car to use for work in the meantime.. Just wondering what we can do in regards to Welcome as at the moment he is still paying (although they have reduced the payments) for a car that cant be used? Is there anyway that he can give the car back or cancel the agreement as the car is still so new and has a major engine fault??

Any info would be appreciated!

Becca :)

Hi and welcome to CAG.

We need at bit more info on this and you will understand why when I tell you my observations so far.

When buying a used car from a trader, in the first 6 months of ownership you are covered by the SOGA and as such any faults which appear in that time are assumed to be present at the point of sale, so my first question is when did you buy it? Any warranty supplied does not repalce your statatuory rights under the SOGA so in most cases the warranty is no good to you anyway.

If a fault develops within the 6 months, your first point of call is to the seller. He is entitled to have an opportunity of rectifying the probem. If he refuses or is unable to sort it out, then you may be able to go down the formal rejection route where by you write to the seller and ask for your money back. So my second question is; did you approach the seller in the firts instance? If the car is on an hp agreement, you also write to the finance co as it is their car. By the sounds of your post, you are well outside the 6 months protection of the SOGA. HOWEVER, if you can provide eveidence that the car had signifitant problems within that time then you MAY still have some redress against both the seller and Welcome.

So where is the car now... at an independant gareage or back with the seller?

Hopefully Conniff will also come by and give his valuble opion after he has come back from the pub!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

It is important to identify what typew of agreement you have, but - jusry becasue you are paying it up does not provide you with any additional protection against repairs and/or maintenance. As a 4 year old car, you cannot assert not fit for purpose, as it has presumably 50 months of trouble-free use. It is also worth remembering that from new until it is formally retired, the cost of keeping it on the road will increase until it becomes unacceptable and it becomes ready to be replaced.

Even if you take out insurance, wear and tear is usually excluded, so as you've had it for over 6 months, even the dealership will be able to claim that they've done all they can and you;ve either been 'unlucky' or the way it is driven has led to the problems.

In no way is the car 'new' so you should investigate what the finance house is doing to reduce payments, as this my simply be storing unrealated trouble for later, as they may be simply adding interest to a deferred payment scheme to allow you to pay for the repairs.

Hello..Hoping I can get a bit of advice!

My boyfriend got an HP/Credit Agreement (not sure which) with Welcome last year, the car was a 2005 Astra.

Back in December the car began making a loud whining sound from the engine..it was booked in at a local garage for the next day..the garage had to replace the rocker box cover in the engine and we were told that this would fix the problem..it did..until Feburary when the car started to lose power..badly..it wouldnt even go above 30mph! The car was taken into the garage the same day and we were told that one of the pistons in the engine had broken up (the car hasnt even done 50,000 miles) When he took out the agreement he also took out a warrenty with Welcome, we checked and it said that engine problems were covered so had to arrange for an engineer to come out and look at the car..this resulted in us being told that the car had been driven excessively in this state (although it couldnt go above 30!) and that it would not be covered under the warrenty..the garage have quoted nearly two thousand pounds to repair the car which we cant afford..the car had been in the garage untouched since Feb and my boyfriend has had to buy a cheap car to use for work in the meantime.. Just wondering what we can do in regards to Welcome as at the moment he is still paying (although they have reduced the payments) for a car that cant be used? Is there anyway that he can give the car back or cancel the agreement as the car is still so new and has a major engine fault??

Any info would be appreciated!

Becca :)

What is the name of the Warranty company?

How much will this warranty cover, cost wise?

When was the actual date of purchase of the car?

Has the car been stripped down and the damage seen by you?

Has any reason why this happened been put forward?

Yup - I didn't realise it showd. Conniff, I've been trying to count the dots on your spinning ball for ages - so I'm not taking all the blame! :)

I know, it's a pain, I've been waiting for it to run down so I can count them.

Hello! Turns out I've been completely wrong and that the car was actually brought in June 2008 not 2009! Doh! Therefore he is actually just over halfway through a 4 year contract? A friend of ours has said that there may be some sort of get out clause after you have been in a contract for a certain amount of time but im unsure how true that is??

Also in response to Conniff: The warrenty company is actually called Welcome as well apparently and is run by Welcome Finance..The warrenty cost him £800 when he got the car and covers up to £1000..The car has been stripped down and yes I have seen the damage..The piston has been completly burnt through and they are claiming that he has driven the car in the condition it is in..although we have statements from the garage claiming that this would not have been possible..

Thanks guys :)

Hello! Turns out I've been completely wrong and that the car was actually brought in June 2008 not 2009! Doh! Therefore he is actually just over halfway through a 4 year contract? A friend of ours has said that there may be some sort of get out clause after you have been in a contract for a certain amount of time but im unsure how true that is??

Also in response to Conniff: The warrenty company is actually called Welcome as well apparently and is run by Welcome Finance..The warrenty cost him £800 when he got the car and covers up to £1000..The car has been stripped down and yes I have seen the damage..The piston has been completly burnt through and they are claiming that he has driven the car in the condition it is in..although we have statements from the garage claiming that this would not have been possible..

Thanks guys :)

:eek: Err, WHAT!? You bought a warranty for £800 which only cover's up to £1000? Have you got that right? Don't you mean £1000 per claim?

In any event, these 'defects' need to have arisen within the first 6 months of ownership to be covered under the SOGA. Your 'warranty' becomes useful after that period up until it expires.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.