LifeSuxSumtimes

Breach of Confidentiality - help

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3670 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I work with another girl on reception. We were both informed some months ago that one of our positions would be made redundant.

In spite of my best efforts, my role was selected for redundancy. The girl I work with appeared to be the better candidate for the role as she has had some more up to date training than me in various programmes, even though she admitted to me personally that these training sessions had not actually been done by her, but by someone else on her behalf. This makes a mockery of the whole thing in my opinion - but what do I know?

Anyway, I digress.

On the day I was informed of my redundancy, one of the secretaries from upstairs was at reception when I got back from my lunch and asked my colleague if it was true that I was going to be made redundant before the day was out. We were both shocked as at this point neither of us had heard any confirmation. We asked her where she had got her information from and she told us that her line manager had told her in passing. Apparently, it was common knowledge!

Naturally, I raised a grievance in respect of this breach of confidentiality and have received a letter from the management informing me that the grievance has been dealt with and because the information is personal to the line manager involved, they are not allowed to disclose any part of the procedure to me and that as far as they're concerned the matter is closed.

I'm not happy about this - any advice please?

Hi LifeSuxSumtimes

not my field but sure a cag guru will be able to answer your post

:)

dk

:welcome::rofl::welcome:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:tea:

most of my knowledge is from the school of hard knocks

not based on any legal background

As quite a lot fellow caggers state seek Legal Advice

:ranger:

Very silly of them and I expect that they are embarrassed. However, I don't think that there is any mileage in it for you.

I think that you will just have to swallow the insult.

However, start making detailed notes about how your redundancy is conducted. Keep your notes updated and keep them off-site.

Makes ure that you are familiar with the correct procedure. Keep a not of the breach of confidentiality incident as well.

If the procedures are not correctly followed then you could have a basis for compalint whcih might allow you to squeeze a bit of extra £££ from them - but probably not very much.

Were you consulted about redundancy? Have you been spoken to personally about it?

Make sure you know the regulations inside out as it could be classed as unfair dismissal if they haven't gone about it the right way.

Your rights if made redundant : Directgov - Employment

Acas - Contact us

The other receptionist has been "suspended pending investigations". From what I understand there is the likelihood that she's going to lose her job. How does this affect my redundancy? Can I petition for my old job back?

Yes - that is one of the things about redundancy regulation, you can ask for your redundancy to be reconsidered. Do it, you have nothing to lose.

Another point, I would like to raise regarding this issue though...

The manager wrote to me explaining that the matter had been dealt with in accordance with the Grievance Procedures, however, she has not advised me properly of the outcome of the grievance, her findings, or in fact how the matter has been dealt with. She has also stated that I have no right of appeal in this matter.

Surely this denies me my statutory rights?

That doesn't sound right, I agree. I'm not sure about appealing, would have to look it up on the directgov or ACAS websites. Of course, you could ring the confidential helpline at ACAS for further guidance on this.

What do the company's grievance procedures say? It should be in your contract, or in an employee handbook, for instance. They should certainly follow them and the excuse about everything being confidential could be a bit feeble.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Here's what ACAS says about grievances.

What is a grievance hearing?A grievance hearing is a meeting that deals with any grievance raised by an employee. If your employer arranges a grievance hearing there are certain considerations. They should:

• hold the meeting in private
  • consider who else could hear the complaint if your grievance is about your line manager
  • tell you of your right to be accompanied
  • ensure an open discussion of the issue
  • consider adjourning the meeting if further advice needs to be sought
  • give you the chance to appeal if you're not happy with the decision

But I think you should also check what the company's own procedures.

HB

The grievance procedure states that if I am not happy with the outcome, I can appeal to HR, and further a grievance panel if I'm still not satisfied.

I'm just concerned about the wording on the letter, advising me that there is no right of appeal.

Also, at no point was I or my colleague interviewed in connection with this matter - surely that would be essential proof of the breach?

Hello. Given the wording of the ACAS guidelines, if it were me I would appeal anyway and quote the ACAS wording.

I don't know about your interviewing question. It may depend on the process for deciding on redundancies - have you been told this? But I hope someone else will comment.

HB

Thanks honeybee, I intend to appeal anyway.

Both me and my colleague had to fill in a document with different selection criteria on it.